Thread: Dealing as naturally as possible with arthritis...trying PT! page

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member

Dealing as naturally as possible with arthritis...trying PT!

There's a lot going on with me...still trying to avoid knee surgery, so went for OrthoVisc shots in both knees (meh! Exspensive but not a great result), and have been having PT since late June. Sometimes good, sometimes not so great.

I have very little cartilage in my knees, and a few bone spurs to boot. What's your feeling on "no pain/no gain" as it applies to a crippled joint? One of my knees had only a -22 extension...I've got that down to -11 in about 6 weeks, and not so many pinched-nerve twinges.

On the days the PT REALLY HURTS, I have more pain for several days after. One of my therapists prefers to use gentler methods and I seem to be more mobile after I have a session with her.

Planning on branching out to Reiki and acupuncture, has anyone tried those for osteoarthritis? I REALLY prefer to deal with this as naturally as possible.

I take fish oil, turmeric, and nibble dried cherries...mainly would like to be a little more active and have LESS PAIN!

Ideas, thoughts?
    Best--
    Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    See my reply to you on the women over 50 thread!
    I did, and thanks! I'll get the D3 level checked!
    Best--
    Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Hippychick is offline Junior Member
    I can sympathise completely I have problems with my right knee and was told last week by my surgeon that it needs replacing. Fortunately I'm not in too much pain right now. I'm hoping to hold off the surgery for as long as possible by eating primally, I'm also going to try bone broth as soon as my crock pot arrives.

Do you do exercises at home too? I find simply putting my leg on a foot stool and hanging weights over my knees (like cans in either side of an oven glove draped over the knee) actually stretches it out and is helping to strengthen the muscles.

Good luck in your primal journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippychick View Post
    I can sympathise completely I have problems with my right knee and was told last week by my surgeon that it needs replacing. Fortunately I'm not in too much pain right now. I'm hoping to hold off the surgery for as long as possible by eating primally, I'm also going to try bone broth as soon as my crock pot arrives.

Do you do exercises at home too? I find simply putting my leg on a foot stool and hanging weights over my knees (like cans in either side of an oven glove draped over the knee) actually stretches it out and is helping to strengthen the muscles.

Good luck in your primal journey.
    thank you! Yes, I do exercise at home...usually not to the point of huge pain or sweating like crazy! I sometimes trade off, with shorter periods on one leg, then the other, then back again a couple of times (some of them if I stand on one leg too long it REALLY hurts.)

I'm mostly been just propping my leg up and putting the other foot on my knee to try to stretch it, but going to try a light weight, too.

My orthopedic guy thought I should go for surgery, but I'm going to try very very hard not to.

And thanks for the reminder about bone broth! I need to get into my jars in the fridge!
    Best--
    Kate

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a fan of "no pain no gain". I'm a chiropractor though so us and the PT's have a bit of a difference of opinion here as a general rule. No pain no gain is inherently necessary for post-surgical rehab, but I'm of the mind that you should work to the pain but not through it for regular functional improvement. I lean toward starting with gentle joint and soft tissue mobilization and general aerobic (cycling) for cases like yours, but to be frank if the cartilage is gone there is very little left to work with. Depending on how much cartilage you have left and the degree its inhibiting your lifestyle would determine what the long term goals of treatment are. If things are really bad we may just be doing our best to stave off the inevitable surgery. If there is enough left to work with then we may be able to reverse some of the damage or improve the mechanics enough and take enough stress off the joint structure to last the rest of your life. It just all depends. Any decision you make... try to focus on function. Pain will dissipate with improved function.

Oh... and nutritionally Primal rocks! Keep it up. Like already suggested by dragonfly check those D3 levels. Get the bone broth from bones and joints with all that good cartilage attached to get those needed buildingblocks. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-08-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the input! The therapist that I really LOVE definitely agrees with you on the working up to but not through pain, unless post-surgical. Wish I could get her every time. She is versed in a lot of less-mainstream approaches, including cranial sacral work.

Interestingly, I had started PT because I was having pinched nerve feelings, and felt as if the knee was going to collapse after walking a bit. THAT was scary...and that's gone.

I'm definitely wanting to stave off surgery as long as humanly possible, if not forever! I usually only have pain if I walk too far (but alas, that's not far) or stand too long, so if I can break it up with a sit-down, I'm not bad. Once in a while I'll have pain while just sitting or lying down, but that's VERY rare. Probably weather-related.

I'm going to try acupuncture and Reiki as well as the PT work...I do the exercises daily at home, too. I'd read that quite a few people are finding that if they do THAT they don't actually need surgery, so I'm holding that thought.

I'm DEFINITELY Primal, have been doing this for over 2 years with a whole LOT of benefits beyond weight loss (35 lbs)! (No more GERD, heartburn, painful hernia, weird mood swings, moodiness, MUST EAT *NOW* problems after only a few hours, etc. NICE.) My last batch of bone broth didn't gel...but it usually does, yep!
    Best--
    Kate