Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fresh spinach page

Breezy111 is offline Member

Fresh spinach

I buy a huge container of spinach for salads and juicing (when I'm on the juicing wagon) but sometimes it goes bad before I can use it all. In fact it almost always does. But when I buy it in smaller amounts its never enough. Ugh.
    Can I freeze it? Doesn't seem like it would thaw well for salads though. Anything else I can do with it to ensure I use it up?
    Thanks!

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Eat MOAR!

Seriously, this happens to me from time to time as well. I just make it a point to have bigger salads. I switch between kale and spinach, which makes it hard to use all of it before it goes bad.
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Saute it with a bit of garlic, olive oil, and finish it with some lemon juice. It's delicious. Plus, a whole big container cooks down to about a tablespoon of food, so you can easily finish it all
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    Eat MOAR!

Seriously, this happens to me from time to time as well. I just make it a point to have bigger salads. I switch between kale and spinach, which makes it hard to use all of it before it goes bad.
    Lol I hear you, I hear you... But sometimes spinach sounds so disgusting. Sometimes salad just isn't appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Saute it with a bit of garlic, olive oil, and finish it with some lemon juice. It's delicious. Plus, a whole big container cooks down to about a tablespoon of food, so you can easily finish it all
    Ooh, that's a fabulous idea! Could I also sauté it in ... Bacon fat!? Lol I have so much bacon fat in the fridge I worry if I'll ever eat it all lol. Or butter? I just discovered the amazingness of grass fed butter and ghee. Sooooo gooooooood!

Thank you!

There's a fabulous recipe for creamed spinach that someone posted here on MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread11416.html

It calls for frozen spinach, but I always make it with bagged. Just nuke the spinach in a covered dish for 3-5 minutes to wilt it, then drain the liquid. I also add a little bit of lemon juice and artichoke hearts (not the marineted kind) to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaPoppy View Post
    There's a fabulous recipe for creamed spinach that someone posted here on MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread11416.html

It calls for frozen spinach, but I always make it with bagged. Just nuke the spinach in a covered dish for 3-5 minutes to wilt it, then drain the liquid. I also add a little bit of lemon juice and artichoke hearts (not the marineted kind) to it.
    Thank you! I've never heard of Boursin cheese... Are there any good substitutions?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezy111 View Post
    Ooh, that's a fabulous idea! Could I also sauté it in ... Bacon fat!? Lol I have so much bacon fat in the fridge I worry if I'll ever eat it all lol. Or butter? I just discovered the amazingness of grass fed butter and ghee. Sooooo gooooooood!

Thank you!
    I think cooking it in bacon fat would take it from delicious to out of this world! I'm going to try that next time
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I think cooking it in bacon fat would take it from delicious to out of this world! I'm going to try that next time
    Lol! Thanks for the inspiration, I refuse to throw out another container of organic spinach again!

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i store my leafy greens in a plastic bin. Before I close up I put a paper towel just under the lid. Then when I store in the fridge, I store the container upside down. The towel captures the extra moisture from condensation and the greens stay fresher longer. if you get a lot of moisture, just replace the paper towel.

works!
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast