Thread: Organic bird meat page

Primal_BK is offline Senior Member

Organic bird meat

Primal Fuel
    Since birds evolved differently then other animals that we eat, would they be affected the same way by eating organic corn or other organic seeds/grains? So would organic chicken or turkey fed organic grain be okay?

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    It comes down to "you are what you eat" - feed an animal or bird crap, it will be in their tissues, aka the meat we eat. The way they evolved doesn't change that fact.

Even if they're not fed organic, which has to do with pesticide levels + types of pesticides allowed, and which requires expensive verification paid for by the farmer to get the stamp of approval to use that term, at least try and eat birds, animals etc that are fed a diet close to the one they'd eat in the wild, and that doesn't contain GMOs.
    Last edited by Lady D; 08-08-2013 at 10:25 AM.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Your fooling yourself if you think that animals in the wild are eating organic food.
    Deer will eat out of a corn field pretty readily and so will geese. Unless it's an organic corn or bean field, it's usually round-up ready, GMO grain. Also, most pasture land is sprayed with herbicides for weed control so that leaves out wild animals that are herbivores.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Birds eat grains.. if it's not GMO grains you should be good to go

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Your fooling yourself if you think that animals in the wild are eating organic food.
    Deer will eat out of a corn field pretty readily and so will geese. Unless it's an organic corn or bean field, it's usually round-up ready, GMO grain. Also, most pasture land is sprayed with herbicides for weed control so that leaves out wild animals that are herbivores.
    Yes, but that's a modern overspill of harmful modern practices, animals don't need to eat GMO or round-up ready, you know?

They don't seek it out preferentially or anything, and it wasn't part of their diet until very recent times. Deer will seek out grain like Grok & co would seek out honey, as a rare high-calorie extra, but that deson't make it good for them to be fed on it all the time.

So I don't actually understand what your point is, it reads to me like you're saying "A lot of wilderness is now contaminated with GMO & pesticides, so it doesn't matter if the animals whose meat you buy is intentionally contaminated with them through feeding" - but I don't want to jump to conclusions?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I know animals don't NEED to eat that way, but most do unless they were raised certified organic. And, no, I DO think it matters what kind of animal meat you buy.
    I'm just saying that unless you raise the bird, or any animal, yourself on organic feed or buy one that you know is certified organic, chances are that it has been eating a GMO.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_BK View Post
    So would organic chicken or turkey fed organic grain be okay?
    Supplemental yes. Exclusive no. Chickens and turkeys are omnivorous foragers so when I see "100% vegetarian" I assume it's a mediocre industrial source.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list