Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

Anyone else busy processing food?

All of a sudden I've got my hands full.

First the stuff that doesn't require a lot of immediate attention:
    2 pots of bone broth
    ham curing, will be smoked today
    bacon curing, to be smoked next week

This stuff that requires more work:
    Pick wild plums, cook, strain, and either make into plum sauce or just can as puree
    Pick Italian plums (growing in abandoned lot), eat as many fresh as we want then I think I will pit them and dry them.
    Pick more blackberries and freeze them.
    Trying to keep up with all the produce from the garden too.

It looks like it's going to be a bumper year for fruit so I'll soon be busy with whatever else I forage. I know lots of spots in my little neck of the woods where unwanted fruits and nuts grow.

What kinds of food processing are you doing? Any one else like to forage?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Angela Poliquin is offline Junior Member
    It's that time of year! I canned 8 quarts of chicken stock over the weekend. The fruits and vegetables are starting and won't stop until October. I'm with you!

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    I just can't wait for the fall. I love seeing the 'end product' from the summer garden. It's also pheasant and deer season so the freezer get filled too
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I love hearing about what everyone is doing, doesn't it feel good to be putting up food for the coming months? It just feels right.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Poliquin View Post
    It's that time of year! I canned 8 quarts of chicken stock over the weekend. The fruits and vegetables are starting and won't stop until October. I'm with you!
    Wait - you can can chicken stock?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

I do too! Sometimes you hear about how to preserve things that you've either never thought to do or that you maybe haven't been brave enough to try.

I come from a family that cans and 'puts things by'. I've got shelves full of canning jars in my basement and my mom and I bought a 9-tray Excalibur dehydrator together a few years back.

There are some years that we can't get everything used up before the next canning season starts.

I'm even going to make up quit a few jars of pickled eggs since even the chickens are in over-production now.
    I didn't put up any of the rhubarb or asparagus this spring cuz we still have a bit from last year.
    I froze all the extra tomatoes last year cuz I was getting to tired of canning them (stewed, soup, sauce, etc) and thank god I did. My tomato plants this year look awful and not very productive.

What is everyone else 'putting by'?
    Last edited by AuroraB; 08-08-2013 at 10:41 AM.

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Freezing and smoking salmon, raspberry jam, eating greens like there is no end to them. I will need to do something to make more room in the freezer, so I guess it is time to cure a ham. There are a few things >1 year old that might need to go to the dog or trash.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    There are a few things >1 year old that might need to go to the dog or trash.
    Oh, how I hate when that happens.

Years ago when my mom was helping my grandma cleanout/defrost her old deepfreezer, she was going to throw out all the meat that was freezer burnt and grandma just about had a cow (pun intended). She didn't have a clue what freezer burnt meat looked like and had been eating it and feeding it to everybody for years. Funny, but she could always make it taste fine.