Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celiac Testing page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Eating one day before the test won't work. It is a test for antibodies and it takes time after eating wheat for antibody levels to get high enough to measure.

I would either do the test correctly or not at all. A false negative will be worse than having no data.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Annika is offline Senior Member
    What is a gluten challenge? | University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center

It takes several weeks of eating gluten every day to have accurate test results. 12 weeks is recommended.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Eating one day before the test won't work. It is a test for antibodies and it takes time after eating wheat for antibody levels to get high enough to measure.

I would either do the test correctly or not at all. A false negative will be worse than having no data.
    Yep - absolutely no point to the test unless she spends several months eating fairly large amounts of gluten.

Primal_Law is offline Junior Member
    Like most have already said, if your daughter has been off Gluten for sometime, and she is a lot happier/healthier. I wouldn't go through the discomfort of eating Gluten for the test. As she would need to eat Gluten for a period of time to have a sufficient level of anti-bodies show up.

For anyone, who hasn't stopped eating Gluten, then the testing can be helpful. But to be honest if you feel better without Gluten, No Bloating etc... Then you don't need a test.

KT79 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    My daughter will be getting tested for celiac disease (antibodies and genetic). She has not been eating anything with gluten and her doctor advised her to eat gluten for a few weeks before the testing. Due to her stomach pains and sleepless nights after eating the smallest bit of gluten, she is really hesitant to eat any. She starts college classes on the 26th and wants to be feeling well. Would eating gluten for the entire day before testing be okay?

I realize that her symptoms should be enough for her but she is getting a lot of flack from her friends and really wants a diagnosis. At this point, we won't be doing the biopsy. I'm thinking, if she comes up with the celiac gene, that might be enough for her. We have celiac in the family so she might just have the gene.

Thanks!
    To get accurate test results on the blood test, she would have to be eating a significant amount of gluten (like a couple pieces of bread) for 8-12 weeks before having the test. The genetic test is still accurate, but it doesn't diagnose celiac - just tells you whether or not you have the potential to have the disease. She can get other tests run that might point to celiac - like if she has vitamin deficiencies, or low bone density, those are both indications.

What's your daughter's situation at college? Will she live at home or in her own apartment? If she has to live on campus and get a meal plan or something, than it might be worth going through the testing, because her college would then be required to provide her with gluten free food. If she's in a position to do her own cooking, than you've got a bit more flexibility.

Personally, I had positive blood tests for celiac, but I never got the endoscopy to confirm it, because I was given the advice to try the gluten free diet right away, and only later did I find out that this would make the endoscopy negative. My husband and I were planning our wedding at the time, and I didn't feel like I could deal with a gluten challenge. Plus, I felt so much better that I just didn't see the point of eating gluten again for months to confirm that it was bad for me - and given my other symptoms and a strong family history of the disease, my doctor agreed with me that I had it anyway.

If you or your daughter wants more advice, you should check out the forum at http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/forum/ - there's a lot of people over there who've gone through the test/don't test question. The Gluten Dude - at Gluten Dude: A gluten free blog and home to an amazing celiac community
    also has a lot of really good advice for celiacs.

Good luck!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I was uninsured when I realized I was reacting to gluten. If I'd had the money to get a diagnosis at the time, it would have made a lot of sense. But it's a huge layout of cash when you're paying for it yourself, would have cost me thousands of dollars before I was finished. And the treatment is the same. So I'll never know if I am celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerant.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    I am sorry your daughter is going through a tough time. As having been bullied my sophomore year in high school I somewhat understand her pain. The best thing in my opinion for her to do is focus on herself. She should look on the brighter side she is going to college with a whole new group of people that will except her for being sensitive to gluten. Think about it if her friends won't be her friends because she eats a specific way that's pretty pathetic of them. My friends gave me so much shit while I was losing my 100 lbs but I didn't waiver I knew what was best for me and I kept to it. Does she want Crohns, or other digestive autoimmune diseases just to gain acceptance from her "friends"

fresa is offline Member
    To be honest, it sounds like she already knows she is at least intolerant, and most likely does actually have celiac's. But everyone is right, you need to eat wheat for months in order for your body to produce enough antibodies to show up. So while I don't generally encourage being less-than-truthful, can your daughter maybe just tell her friends she took the test, and yes she has celiac's? That would get them off her back while keep her from worrying about losing a friend. That age is tough, and I know that sometimes when a friend is making such a trivial thing a big deal it is easier to just tell them what they want to hear. Until you daughter finds real friends who want what is best for her and don't care about having an official label (which will come with time, I don't doubt), tell them what they want to hear. Problem solved, and she doesn't feel sick.

notlupus is offline Senior Member
    As others have said. don't waste your money or time with the antibody test unless she has been eating gluten for 8-12 weeks. Otherwise you'll get a false negative.

Willow16 is offline Member
    Thanks for all of the responses! She has tried eating some gluten but she's miserable. Her personality actually changes when eating it. Since it will take months, it's not worth it.

She lives at home and commutes to college so it's easier for her to eat a primal diet. We just have to get together food that she can eat when she's at school.

As for her friends, I have suggested she just tell them she does have celiac disease but she is against lying. At this point, I think she will agree to at least telling them that she is gluten intolerant since it's obvious she actually is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast