Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight loss help page 2

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by lyss View Post
    It doesn't bother me to disclose what I eat. Quite honestly, the only reason I'm eating 1300 calories is because in Mark's book he advocated a 700ish calorie deficit. Based on my caloric needs calculations, that puts me into the 1300 calorie range. .
    I only skimmed Mark's book (I know!) but regardless, if you don't have a lot to lose I think you can get by with a smaller deficit. I do MFP, and they start you at what they think you burn, take off 500-1000 a day and then add back for exercise. If you have less to lose (which you do!) you don't want a high deficit. So I would eat more, until you are not hungry so long as that works with your history. Maybe try 1600 cals for a while and see if that helps?

Also, listen to Magnolia. Seriously.
    Last edited by lea; 08-08-2013 at 08:52 AM.

lyss is offline Junior Member
    Ok. My husband and I are going camping (like canoeing, portaging, bring freeze-dried food sort of camping) until Monday, so I'll see how that goes... it will be a higher carb, and quite likely, higher calorie version of eating, and there will be no scale around to influence my 'hunger'. I feel pretty stressed over it, but I love to camp, so I'll treat it as an experiment and we'll see...

Dancing... the reason it's not really an option for me anymore is that I am in medical school (chiropractic), which has VASTLY changed my lifestyle. My tuition is 23K per year, which I pay for using a line of credit. Between rent, food, tuition, books, med equipment, I max out my yearly line of credit allowance. So financially, dance does not fit. I also live in a crumby basement apartment where there is literally no room to dance, which nixes the possibility of a home DVD. I think it's probably just as well, because I had reached such a high level in dance that a dvd wouldn't cut it for me. I left dance on the highest note I possibly could. To lessen the yearning, I take what I learn in school and apply it to dance, so that I can hopefully provide better treatment for dancers than that which is the norm. But that's digressing from my point. Leaving dance has forced me to try and learn new ways of moving - thinks like squats, pushups, etc that I would never have otherwise bothered with. And I do quite enjoy my new way of moving. Dance gave me something to live for when I needed it, and a reason to eat. Dance was my escape in a way that nothing else has ever been. I will always love and miss it.
    As a random aside, I almost enrolled in crossfit over the past year. My chiropractor forbade it. I have very little upper body strength (more than in December, but still not enough to do a full pullup) and my joints are so excessively bendy that he told me I was asking to ruin my career before even beginning it. Not really relevent to anything, but I am a bit jealous of your CF-ing

As per living my life... I am aware that I'm being a bit of an idiot. But everyone's lives are different, and we all come from different places. If any of my friends/ family were having a problem, I would be there in a heartbeat. That didn't happen over the past year, and I don't feel guilty about saying no to the invites to go out drinking and dancing (I enjoy sleep more than booze and weird creepy men, lol). My husband and I actually did go to England for a couple of weeks in June, as he has an aunt about to pass. I was glad to see everyone, but also extremely uncomfortable when one of his uncles did in fact call me out on my weight gain in front of his entire extended family. It was mortifying. So I do take your point that hiding can be pretty selfish, but if it comes out to it, I will be present, even if it means discomfort for me. Most of the time it's not the sort of situation that absolutely necessitates my physically being present though.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    The most useful thing Ancel Keys ever did was institute a "starvation study" in which he took healthy, psychologically balanced young men and starved them to about 50% of their daily caloric requirements.

As a result of the starvation, the men all developed symptoms that are normally attributed to anorexics as precursors of the illness - they began to obsess about body image, food, developed weird eating behaviours, and even self-harmed as a result of the caloric deficit.

I mention this to say to you, be VERY careful when you swipe a whopping 35% of your estimated daily calories, that your actions won't create the same behaviours that are known to be present in clinically diagnosed anorexia - one thing a lot of ED treatments centres fail to realise is that these behaviours are caused by caloric deficit over long periods, even in women who have a normal or overweight BMI.

I would especially add that getting caught up in numbers is a bad idea, because while 1300cals as a reduction from 2000cals looks perfectly sound on paper, the reality of it for your body is completely different. Numbers can replace the lived experience, day in day out, of your own need for food, if you let them, and then you probably know how it goes from there.

Sources:

Minnesota Starvation Experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment

An Argument for Recovery—The Minnesota Starvation Experiment

EffectsOfSemiStarvation - Epowiki

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    My husband and I actually did go to England for a couple of weeks in June, as he has an aunt about to pass. I was glad to see everyone, but also extremely uncomfortable when one of his uncles did in fact call me out on my weight gain in front of his entire extended family. It was mortifying.
    I would be happy to fly to England and kick him in the balls for you. He's a jackass and should be mortified of his behavior.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Firstly, don't be so hard on yourself. You have PCOS. This is hard to heal from and makes it harder for you to lose weight. Give yourself a chance to heal from PCOS. It will heal on a diet of natural primal foods. Lots of people with PCOS find some help going low carb for a while, but you might find the carb range that Mark recommends (I think it's 75-150g per day) is plenty to allow you to have potatoes and fruit every day and heal your PCOS. Just maintain your weight for now.

Keep working on building up your strength. By building more muscle you will help cure the PCOS because your body will be forced to create tissue that is more sensitive to insulin and more metabolically active in a positive way.

And then once you are feeling pretty strong and healthy, consider adding 2x sprints per week (you can use an exercise bike or rowing machine or something if you don't want to run). The sprints also help your body's metabolic processes attain a healthier level.

Go slow on all this so you don't hurt yourself or burn yourself out. I have worked over 2 years on getting all the pieces to fit for me. I feel and look better than I ever have in my whole life.

Also, throw out your scale. I did not weigh myself for an entire year. Last year I weighed 130. The other day I weighed myself I was 137. My clothes are looser, my arms less flappy and more shapely, my waist is the same size, I'm way way stronger, my stomach has almost visible muscle (in the right lighting) and you can nearly see my ribs. 7 pounds gained and I'm "skinnier". All thanks to working on strength instead of weight loss.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Definitely trying to heal the PCOS. It's funny, in a not really funny sort of way, that my eating disorder is probably what saved me from the grips of endocrinologists drug pushing hands. For years I had complained about the irregularity and absence of my cycles, and for years, GPs admonished me to 'eat properly' and 'gain some weight' (despite the fact that during those years I actually WAS at a healthy weight, even according to their BMI charts (which are flawed, but they do love them)). Anyway, the doctor was shocked the first time she actually ordered blood work on me, and even more so after my ultrasound (a similar shock came after a sleep study wherein I was diagnosed as having sleep apnea). I don't fit the 'profile' for any of these things. Apart from this past year, I've always been very slim (naturally and healthily. When I"m starving I just look plain scary). And even now I know that there are alot of people who would balk at my calling myself 'fat', because although I'm not the right size for my body frame (5'7", small frame, currently 150ishlbs), I'm not obese. I'm very athletic and active. I don't have horrific acne, or hirsutism and I'm not insulin resistant. It doesn't make sense. Up until this past year my problem had just been absent /irregular cycles. However in June that changed to horrendously painful and prolonged cycles (that were still irregular).
    Anyway, from the reading that I've done, I've been keeping carbs on the lower side (between 50-100g/ day) to try and address any possibility of insulin resistance that may be exist or trying to bloom, as well as to lose weight. I've also started taking 4g/ day of inositol, as there are studies showing really promising results, and using a chaste tree supplement. And the exercise thing - definitely doing that. I love to move! lol I just wish that muscle could be built faster. My combined background of starvation and ballet has left me hm, I suppose 'lacking' may be a kind word, in the upper body strength dept. Tonnes of leg strength, tonnes of core, zero through arms, wrists, shoulders. I am up to 8 real pushups in a row before failure though, which is a big improvement over the zero that I could do in April.

It's so frustrating trying to be patient. The weight went on so shockingly fast, and I just don't understand how I could have let it get so out of control. I miss the feeling of being comfortable in my own skin (which I did have during certain periods of time). I know that your advice to throw out the scale is sage, but I just can't do it. Mentally, I need it, at least for now. As sad as that is.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I would be happy to fly to England and kick him in the balls for you. He's a jackass and should be mortified of his behavior.
    lol
    You rock. And if nothing else, the image made me smile.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I'm flying to England in a month, I could do it as well for you

I can only say "What she said!" to everything Magnolia has said. I get a bit sad at the success stories as well because I haven't found that magical fix for me, but I'm now focusing on health and fitness via weight training. My weight hasn't changed yet (and I have a good 35lbs of fat to lose for sure), but I'm looking better, and that makes me feel great!

I see you have PCOS, have you had your thyroid checked?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've been weight training for 9 months, almost 10. The muscle gain is very slow, but 10 months have passed and now I have muscle, much of it quite visible and appealing. Get started now if you want some muscle. Those 10 months are going to go by whether you lift or not.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyss View Post
    My food intake on an average day:

Breakfast: 3 egg omelette (no cheese) OR some generic leftovers from supper the night before. Examples would be a hamburg patty, a couple of sausages, or a bowl of home made vegetable chicken soup. Or just a plain avocado.

Lunch - usually I'd skip this to keep within the constraints of 1300 calories. I also find that I'm not hungry until later on in the afternoon, say around 3ish p.m. By that point, it feels too close to supper to have an actual meal anyway.

Supper - Some combination of meat and veggie. This could take the form of a salad with meat and some avocado oil dressing, or a stiryfry cooked in coconut oil...

It doesn't bother me to disclose what I eat. Quite honestly, the only reason I'm eating 1300 calories is because in Mark's book he advocated a 700ish calorie deficit. Based on my caloric needs calculations, that puts me into the 1300 calorie range.
    Looks like less than 1300 Cal.

The 700 cal def he may specify is a generic number - it's not tailored for you personally (it maybe be fine, but it also may not be).

A deficit is what is required to lose - smaller may mean quicker but it could mean more stress and not sustainable.

Maybe a 400 cal def is more comfortable for you.

Maybe try different macro ratios maybe a certain ratio is more comfortable and sustainable for you.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12