Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk to me about protein powder page

dacec is offline Senior Member

Talk to me about protein powder

Primal Fuel
    I have read that protein powder is bad stuff and yet I see so many here, who seem knowledgeable, consuming it. I have been taught that dried dairy/whey is an neurotoxin and should be avoided.

I went looking for some protein powder for my husband and found a low heat processed whey with no soy...thought it would be ok, but then I read maybe not. Clearly I do not get all the terminology.

Can someone clue me in as to the pros and cons? What is ok and what should be avoided?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    It really depends on the person. Some people think they can handle it, others don't. Whey is addictive and there is only so much meat I can eat (that's not true actually I've started eating beef for breakfast, heh) so I would really love it if it didn't pwn me but I have issues with dairy. Some people don't think that they have dairy issues and there still needs to be some conclusive evidence that dairy is necessarily bad for everyone in all cases so it's a gray area. On the one hand, cow's milk is a very recent addition to the human diet and a lot of people are intolerant of it. Just because you don't double over in pain after eating some doesn't mean that it's doing nothing harmful at all. On the other hand, there is little evidence other than anecdotes against something like a whey isolate, though there is plenty of rightful speculation.

Are you going to risk it? If so get something high quality.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Some say it can stall weight loss. Maybe avoid it until you reach your ideal body composition. I don't see why it can't be a good part of a maintenance diet.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

hbeck is offline Senior Member

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    My body is very happy when I ingest whey isolate. Very. Not so much with dairy in general. Ideally I'd have it daily.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    It really depends on the person. Some people think they can handle it, others don't. Whey is addictive and there is only so much meat I can eat (that's not true actually I've started eating beef for breakfast, heh) so I would really love it if it didn't pwn me but I have issues with dairy. Some people don't think that they have dairy issues and there still needs to be some conclusive evidence that dairy is necessarily bad for everyone in all cases so it's a gray area. On the one hand, cow's milk is a very recent addition to the human diet and a lot of people are intolerant of it. Just because you don't double over in pain after eating some doesn't mean that it's doing nothing harmful at all. On the other hand, there is little evidence other than anecdotes against something like a whey isolate, though there is plenty of rightful speculation.

Are you going to risk it? If so get something high quality.
    +100

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

I just tried chocolate whey powder with coconut milk. the taste was amazing.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

Pessimist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrappler View Post
    I just tried chocolate whey powder with coconut milk. the taste was amazing.
    Haha I know! Like a milkshake! OM NOM NOM!
    The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being proven right or pleasantly surprised.

Just as delicious id say.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    It's most definitely not paleo, natural, or healthy. I'll go as far as saying it's potentially dangerous (oxidized cholesterol).
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast