Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it with nuts/seeds causing rapid weight gain? page

splunky is offline Senior Member

What is it with nuts/seeds causing rapid weight gain?

Shop Now
    I have noticed that I gain weight fairly quickly and steadily if I incorporate nuts or seeds into my diet. I am pretty sure it's more of an inflammation/water type gain but truthfully it's hard to tell.
    I thought they were healthy? I like to have a small handful of raw pumpkin seeds or raw almonds here and there or even bake an almond cookie for the kiddos. I notice the next day I am up in weight because I feel bloated or just bigger and my clothes seem different.
    Why is this?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    -Inflammation/water retention bloating
    -Just because a food CAN be good for you doesn't mean it IS good for you. You may have a sensitivity to what you are eating or perhaps your gut is too damaged to handle nuts & seeds.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Heliotrope is offline Member
    The Jaminets in Perfect Health Diet say that omega-6s make you fat. I can't remember the reason. But reading that put so bluntly was enough for me give up nuts. Since then, I've been reading how much Peat is against PUFA, so that just reinforces my decision.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Anhydrous foods contain 4~6x the calories per bite as meats, roots, stalks, leaves, and fruits so if you're judging a "meal" by size you'll get quite a lot. And ya, tissues don't seem very interested in absorbing polyunsaturates so an overspill might end up in storage.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

cantare is offline Senior Member
    I must say that water retention is an issue I've found frustrating to nail down. I get it periodically and the facial bloating makes a night-and-day difference in my appearance as well as adding several scale pounds. It doesn't ever seem to be as simple as 'too much salt' or 'eating too many carbs'--there are certain foods I suspect strongly including dairy, eggs, cashews, and dry-roasted almonds (all favorites, unfortunately). Dosages are important as well. Is it PUFA-derived inflammation? A specific allergy/sensitivity? I dunno. Vigorous exercise seems to trigger it occasionally too--always annoying, because you'd expect to look more lean & honed after a big workout, not puffy.

The renal & adrenal endocrine machinery controlling this fluid balance (prostaglandins, aldosterone...) seems too intricate for me to understand, let alone control--so I just try to stick with the foods that work for me, take note of the offenders, and be willing to pay the price for lapses.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    1.) Nuts and seeds are extremely calorically dense. I suggest you go to:

Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com

Plug in eggs, chicken and walnuts. Find the column that shows "water." You'll find meats, fruits and vegetables are mostly water, allowing you to eat large volumes for little calories. Nuts, on the other hand, contain very little water. A small cup of nuts has more caloric value than an entire chicken breast or several heads of lettuce. Chocolate is less calorically dense than most nuts.

2.) Nuts contain poor quality fats. They are very low in saturated fat, and often very high in polyunsaturated fat. The more unsaturated the fat, the more likely it'll be stored since they are the least "pro-metabolic" of the fats.

3.) Dietary fat is almost always what makes us store fat. Protein is extremely unlikely to ever be stored as fat in a real-world scenario, though it can theoretically happen. Carbohydrate is very difficult to store as fat since it is first glycogen-partitioned, there is an associated metabolic rate increase with its consumption and then it must be converted into triglyceride through the (inefficient) process known as de novo lipogenesis. Fat is directly stored as body fat and there is no metabolic rate increase. When you overconsume calories, nothing is more likely to be stored around your belly, thighs and butt than fat.

High calorie, high fat, low satiety, low nutrient value - this is why nuts and seeds are so fattening.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well they are rather delicious/nutritious so I can see overconsumption being an issue for some. They don't pack much of a volumetric punch, which is actually part of the reason I like them. I don't have to feel stuffed to the gills to get some tasty energy, but some people need that volume filling sensation in the stomach to tell them to stop eating. If thats you then you probably should lean toward more raw veggies to get that response.

accidentalpancake is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Fat is directly stored as body fat
    I got 99 problems but a pancake ain't one...

My Journal

Height: 6'3"
    SW (Feb 2012): 278
    SBF: 26% (Scale)
    CW (May 2014): 198
    CBF: 14.5% (Scale)
    GW: ~190-205
    GBF: ~12%

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    Primarily almost everything you consume is stored before being utilized. We all cary tens of thousands of calories with us as fat.... primal helps you better access those reserves rather than rely on a constant influx of carbs. So yes fats stored as fat... carbs as glycogen.... ect. Its really access to those energy stores thats important in maintaining health.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If there was a big bowl of macadamias sitting out I'd have no problem accidentally eating a pound in a day. Seriously.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast