Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: What is it with nuts/seeds causing rapid weight gain? page 8

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Pizza, at least from a pizzeria, is mostly dough and cheese which is a complete food of protein, carbs, and fats (coming from saturated sources). Aren't twinkies made with partially hydrogenated soybean oil, high fructose corn syrup, food colorings, soy products?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I assume twinkies, since I can make my own pizza without rancid oils and processed food.
    nihil

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Twinkies - Wikipedia:

"Ingredients

Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable shortening – containing one or more of the following: partially hydrogenated soybean oil, cottonseed oil, canola oil, beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow No. 5, red #40.[20]

Twinkie cream gets its slippery sheen from cotton cellulose, which serves the same purpose in rocket fuel"

You can make pizza fit almost any nutrient profile, including low-fat, I used to make them at weekends sometimes with a wholewheat base and some onion mixed into it, chopped fresh tomatoes, some herbs and garlic, and low fat cheeses - bloody nice they were too.

But it's not the home-made version, tailored to their dietary preferences, that most people are eating, going by the proliferations of pizza places worldwide.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I assume twinkies, since I can make my own pizza without rancid oils and processed food.
    Yeah, I was kinda joking based on how crummy most pre-made or delivery pizzas are. For instance ... good ole digiorno here:

NGREDIENTS: ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), WATER, LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), PEPPERONI (PORK AND BEEF, SALT, SPICES, DEXTROSE, LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, OLEORESIN OF PAPRIKA, FLAVORINGS, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID), TOMATO PASTE, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, SUGAR, HERB BLEND (BASIL, OREGANO, THYME), YEAST, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, SPICE BLEND (SALT, SUGAR, SPICES), GARLIC PUREE (GARLIC, VINEGAR), SPICE.
    CONTAINS: MILK, WHEAT.

^Actually thats not quite as bad (still bad) as I thought it was.....but I still prefer my homemade sort. And I'm quite surprised to see "extra virgin olive oil" on the list and no mention of soybean oil. So the real downers are the wheat and obviously low quality of the meats and cheeses used.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-09-2013 at 06:22 AM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I mean it's not like we are worlds apart in application.... here is what I would eat....

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Today I ate my first meal at 12:30pm. It was a large salad - about half a head of romaine, a handful of arugula, a chopped cucumber, a chopped Jersey tomato, 1/2 of a yellow onion, around 1/2 cup of 1% cottage cheese (make this 4%) and a medium chicken breast(turn this into a whole chicken with italian seasonings, or thighs with bone skin and all I dredged in egg and unsweetened shredded coconut and baked til crispy, chopped. Dressing was red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar, lots of salt and pepper, no oil (I gotta have my olive oil added and I also add a raw egg yolk for my salad dressings).

I went to the gym at 5pm, left at around 6:15pm. About 15 min warmup, 45 mins lifting, 15 mins cardio. (comparaple to what I do, but my high intensity stuff is only 2x/week max... bike to and from work daily and whatnot though)

I came home, and by the time I finished cooking it was 8:00pm. I ate 2 bowls of some slow cooked deer cubes I had that was given to me from a friend that killed a deer this past winter (2 lbs in a slow cooker with 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes, 6 cloves garlic, 1/2 onion, 1 red pepper, 1/2 bunch fresh basil, red wine vinegar and crushed red pepper) topped with raw milk romano from Trader Joe's. I ate about 2/3 of this. <---(all that is right on! Exactly how I prepare many crock meals and deer is great!) With the deer, I ate 2 white potatoes and 1 sweet potato I cut into fries, seasoned with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder and chili powder. I baked til crisp, no added fat. (I'd probably just have 1 of the sweet potato, but I'd use coconut oil to fry in the oven and approximately the same seasonings)

After that I had a bowl of rice pudding I made (2 cups white rice, 1/2 gal whole grassfed milk, 4 whole pastured eggs, 2 vanilla beans, coconut sugar/maple syrup/honey/stevia blend, raisins, cinnamon, unsweetened shredded coconut and Knox gelatin) with a sliced banana and a handful of blueberries. (I just wouldn't bother with any of this)

That's a pretty typical day for me on a workout day. On a rest day, lunch would probably have been roughly the same with a less starchy dinner.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, surprisingly most chain pizza uses olive oil too, like Little Caesars. The meat and cheese is terrible though, allergens ahoy!

I make pizza with a carrot sauce and fresh fruit with gouda, brie, and parmesan and some lamb, or beef. I go hard on specific spices too, and even like cinnamon on the crust. I don't make it gluten free though, since I barely eat pizza and don't react to gluten so I don't trip on it. Sourdough is nice, too.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    LOW-MOISTURE PART-SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), PEPPERONI (PORK AND BEEF, SALT, SPICES, DEXTROSE, LACTIC ACID STARTER CULTURE, OLEORESIN OF PAPRIKA, FLAVORINGS, SODIUM ASCORBATE, SODIUM NITRITE, BHA, BHT, CITRIC ACID),
    That's the bit that kills it for me, gluten aside, it's just frankenfood BS when there are perfectly good cheeses, even lower-fat mozzarellas & pepperoni etc, that don't have that stuff added and would therefore score them brownie points on the CW low-fat scale. It's got to be about saving money by using fillers, masquerading as health.

Before I got a dog I looked into BHA & BHT and they're pretty dubious, not something I'd eat if there's any alternative, I don't even feed them to my dog.

Edit to add: "DEPARTMENT OF Pathology, NAGOYA CITY UNIVERSITY MEDICAL SCHOOL, Japan. A recent study was completed to determine the toxicology of BHA, BHT, Ethoxyquin and Propyl Gallate. The following is an overview of the findings:

BHA - Causes squamous-cell carcinomas in stomachs of rats and hamsters. (Cancers of this type are among the most lethal and fastest acting, the swiftest effects being seen among animals with light colored fur. Many white cats die within months after getting squamous cell black tumor on their skin.)

Enhanced stomach and urinary bladder carcinogenesis

BHT- Promoted urinary bladder carcinogenesis could be a promoter of thyroid carcinogenesis

The study noted that BHA and other such antioxidants, particularly propyl gallate and ethoxyquin, showed additive effects in inducing stomach hyperplasia and cytotoxicity."
    Source

Stuff like that stops meat fat turning rancid, so you can have the same sack of petfood lying open for a few weeks. I don't know why any pizza joint would need to use it except for cheese-paring their costs down.
    Last edited by Lady D; 08-09-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I make pizza with a carrot sauce and fresh fruit with gouda, brie, and parmesan and some lamb, or beef. I go hard on specific spices too, and even like cinnamon on the crust. I don't make it gluten free though, since I barely eat pizza and don't react to gluten so I don't trip on it. Sourdough is nice, too.
    Recipe, please? For the toppings at least, that sounds very unusual & interesting. I don't like bread, but I can see this happening on a bed of rice or something.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Recipe, please?
    Seconded!

I'm off on holiday now, blissfully offline for a bit, but thanks in advance if you get time!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm surprised, that DiGiorno pizza isn't as bad as I suspected.

Wheat flour in a pziza isn't a downside, it is to be expected. It's like complaining about flour in a cake...just don't eat cake if you don't want wheat. Those ingredients are typical of pepperoni or any mass-produced sausage. The only sausages I haven't seen with BHA and BHT in them are ones ground in-store. National brands have to use BHA and BHT or else the sausage will turn gray in shipment instead of that nice red and pink color they rely on to sell them. Same goes with pepperoni. You can't blame them to use it because no one would buy gray pepperoni. Same thing goes with nitrates in bacon. Would you buy gray bacon? I'm guessing not.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast