Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it with nuts/seeds causing rapid weight gain? page 7

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by slimshady01 View Post
    If I drink olive oil and coconut oil by the cup and exceed my calories burned I'm going to get fat.. Same goes for garbage food, I could eat twinkles and pizza and lose weight if I wanted.
    Which one are most people are most likely to eat to excess?

I think that's the crux of it, once the fat-chugger has barfed a few times, or the pizza-dieter has gotten bored of being hungry, what we're all working out for ourselves in our own way is the food we can safely eat to not feel starved yet stay at a healthy weight and maybe with some toned muscles or whatever our personal goal is, given our own unique gut-flora, metabolism, preferences, who knows what other variables.

If twinkies & pizza were self-limiting to the majority of people, there'd be no worries about the whole obesity epidemic.

slimshady01 is offline Junior Member
    I love nuts and honesty been going over myself, I'm constantly opening my drawer on the fridge grabbing a good size handful .. When the weight adds I know why lol

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Choco, maybe you have posted this already, but can you give as a more detailed picture of your diet regimen?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This is exactly it, accidentalpancake. Things are stored directly as what they are in the body before they are converted.

When you eat fat, it is directly stored as fat.

When you eat carbohydrate, it is directly stored as glycogen. Only in the unlikely event that glycogen stores are filled and de novo lipogenesis kicks in is it converted into triglyceride for storage. A grown man would have to regularly consume something like 700g of carbohydrate a day every day for days on end for DNL to be significant.

Protein is used for skeletal and muscular repair, hormone synthesis, etc. The amount of protein you'd need to eat every day for there to be conversion into fat is so massive you wouldn't be able to sustain it calorically. For all intents and purposes, protein won't be converted into fat except under extremely rare circumstances.

So yes, the best way to put on body fat is to eat fat since it is directly stored. Of course, you won't gain a net increase of body fat unless you're overconsuming calories. Things like meat and eggs are so rich in protein and water and so filling that they are difficult to regularly overeat and get fat off of, making them great tools for weight loss. Nuts and cheese, however, are very easily overconsumed and you can put on body fat rapidly. Hence, the fattening nature of said items. While carbohydrate is not inherently fattening like fat is, it will keep you from burning fat - high insulin and blood sugar creates the preferential burning of glucose instead of free fatty acids, meaning you won't be mobilizing much stored body fat when carbs are kept too high . So while it is more difficult to get fat eating a zero fat diet, it can keep you fat by preventing the release of fat stores. It all comes down to CICO in the end.
    Kind of like what Peter at Hyperlipid said today:

What do we really mean by caloric overload?

Overload is the utterly normal response to eating any meal. ANY meal. As soon as the rate of calorie absorption exceeds the post prandial metabolic requirement, we need to store the excess calories. The development of individual cell insulin resistance is utterly normal under these conditions. Blood glucose, blood lipids and blood insulin rise. Fat is diverted to adipocytes. Glucose is diverted to glycogen stores. Hyperlipid: Protons so far, some sort of summary!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Just because it's good for you doesn't mean it makes you immune to weight gain..
    Yeah, but who cares? In a caloric surplus gaining weight is healthy. Its when you can't access said stores due to metabolic syndrome OR worse when you no longer can gain weight that you have a real problem. Food quality (paleo) will self regulate quantity in most people. For those who it does not further measures may be required to get that beach bod, but they will still reap possitive metabolic effect from the improved quality of their diet. Inappropriate quantity, caloric overload, and consequently metaboly dysregulation is a symptom of a poor quality diet and motion.

Lots of beach bod skinny folks can get there eating skittles and chugging protein shakes.... but hows their health and logevity? Weight gain and loss are twined with metabolic health, but they are not actually one in the same.

slimshady01 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady D View Post
    Which one are most people are most likely to eat to excess?

I think that's the crux of it, once the fat-chugger has barfed a few times, or the pizza-dieter has gotten bored of being hungry, what we're all working out for ourselves in our own way is the food we can safely eat to not feel starved yet stay at a healthy weight and maybe with some toned muscles or whatever our personal goal is, given our own unique gut-flora, metabolism, preferences, who knows what other variables.

If twinkies & pizza were self-limiting to the majority of people, there'd be no worries about the whole obesity epidemic.
    I'm more likely to eat excess almonds than pizza just because I know it's healthier and being so calories dense those calories add up fast! I would eat pizza perhaps 1 time a week so there I have no worries of over eating.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Choco, maybe you have posted this already, but can you give as a more detailed picture of your diet regimen?
    Today I ate my first meal at 12:30pm. It was a large salad - about half a head of romaine, a handful of arugula, a chopped cucumber, a chopped Jersey tomato, 1/2 of a yellow onion, around 1/2 cup of 1% cottage cheese and a medium chicken breast I dredged in egg and unsweetened shredded coconut and baked til crispy, chopped. Dressing was red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar, lots of salt and pepper, no oil.

I went to the gym at 5pm, left at around 6:15pm. About 15 min warmup, 45 mins lifting, 15 mins cardio.

I came home, and by the time I finished cooking it was 8:00pm. I ate 2 bowls of some slow cooked deer cubes I had that was given to me from a friend that killed a deer this past winter (2 lbs in a slow cooker with 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes, 6 cloves garlic, 1/2 onion, 1 red pepper, 1/2 bunch fresh basil, red wine vinegar and crushed red pepper) topped with raw milk romano from Trader Joe's. I ate about 2/3 of this. With the deer, I ate 2 white potatoes and 1 sweet potato I cut into fries, seasoned with salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder and chili powder. I baked til crisp, no added fat.

After that I had a bowl of rice pudding I made (2 cups white rice, 1/2 gal whole grassfed milk, 4 whole pastured eggs, 2 vanilla beans, coconut sugar/maple syrup/honey/stevia blend, raisins, cinnamon, unsweetened shredded coconut and Knox gelatin) with a sliced banana and a handful of blueberries.

That's a pretty typical day for me on a workout day. On a rest day, lunch would probably have been roughly the same with a less starchy dinner.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Just because it's good for you doesn't mean it makes you immune to weight gain..

If I drink olive oil and coconut oil by the cup and exceed my calories burned I'm going to get fat.. Same goes for garbage food, I could eat twinkles and pizza and lose weight if I wanted.
    So which of these groups of people is more likely to exist? Those who regularly drink olive oil and coconut oil by the cup, or those who eat twinkies and pizza all the time?

max219 is offline Senior Member
    Pizza and twinkies are very different. One is a completely processed food probably high in rancid oil.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by max219 View Post
    Pizza and twinkies are very different. One is a completely processed food probably high in rancid oil.
    Wait... which one?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast