Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it with nuts/seeds causing rapid weight gain? page 2

John Watson is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If there was a big bowl of macadamias sitting out I'd have no problem accidentally eating a pound in a day. Seriously.
    +1 the best! Fact.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    I had to vote nuts and their butters off of my island. I can't be trusted. The only nuts I buy are cashews for a kale salad dressing. They are raw and in a bulk bin, so I only buy what I need.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oceangrl View Post
    I had to vote nuts and their butters off of my island. I can't be trusted. The only nuts I buy are cashews for a kale salad dressing. They are raw and in a bulk bin, so I only buy what I need.

I've never been big on nuts but I do like peanut butter...but with primal nixing legumes and bread (for pbandj) I haven't been eating too much unless its a cookie or something that's off the plan in total. I did buy some almond butter and its pretty good but It's not something I want often.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accidentalpancake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well they are rather delicious/nutritious so I can see overconsumption being an issue for some. They don't pack much of a volumetric punch, which is actually part of the reason I like them. I don't have to feel stuffed to the gills to get some tasty energy, but some people need that volume filling sensation in the stomach to tell them to stop eating. If thats you then you probably should lean toward more raw veggies to get that response.
    This is exactly it, accidentalpancake. Things are stored directly as what they are in the body before they are converted.

When you eat fat, it is directly stored as fat.

When you eat carbohydrate, it is directly stored as glycogen. Only in the unlikely event that glycogen stores are filled and de novo lipogenesis kicks in is it converted into triglyceride for storage. A grown man would have to regularly consume something like 700g of carbohydrate a day every day for days on end for DNL to be significant.

Protein is used for skeletal and muscular repair, hormone synthesis, etc. The amount of protein you'd need to eat every day for there to be conversion into fat is so massive you wouldn't be able to sustain it calorically. For all intents and purposes, protein won't be converted into fat except under extremely rare circumstances.

So yes, the best way to put on body fat is to eat fat since it is directly stored. Of course, you won't gain a net increase of body fat unless you're overconsuming calories. Things like meat and eggs are so rich in protein and water and so filling that they are difficult to regularly overeat and get fat off of, making them great tools for weight loss. Nuts and cheese, however, are very easily overconsumed and you can put on body fat rapidly. Hence, the fattening nature of said items. While carbohydrate is not inherently fattening like fat is, it will keep you from burning fat - high insulin and blood sugar creates the preferential burning of glucose instead of free fatty acids, meaning you won't be mobilizing much stored body fat when carbs are kept too high . So while it is more difficult to get fat eating a zero fat diet, it can keep you fat by preventing the release of fat stores. It all comes down to CICO in the end.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-07-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    I've never been big on nuts but I do like peanut butter...but with primal nixing legumes and bread (for pbandj) I haven't been eating too much unless its a cookie or something that's off the plan in total. I did buy some almond butter and its pretty good but It's not something I want often.
    It's funny but I have never been a big nut fan either. Back before I lost a bunch of weight, I had a horrible night foraging habit. I would make a peanut butter, butter and honey sandwich late at night. Gave that up and after discovering paleo and Whole 30, I thought it would be smart to have some macadamias in my freezer. WRONG!! I would walk past the freezer and grab a handful without even thinking twice. Those handfuls add up.

CaveBug is offline Senior Member
    Same here, nuts and nut butters are persona non grata here. I will crack out on them if allowed and the next thing you know I'll be shame licking out the jar of almond butter sobbing, "I can stop any time I want to! I'm in control this time and I mean it!" It's really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by CaveBug View Post
    Same here, nuts and nut butters are persona non grata here. I will crack out on them if allowed and the next thing you know I'll be shame licking out the jar of almond butter sobbing, "I can stop any time I want to! I'm in control this time and I mean it!" It's really bad.
    Omg..roasted almond butter. Bought one of those thinking I could handle it at this point. Um..no. I had to break up with it and raw cheeses. Just best not to have them around.

splunky is offline Senior Member
    Wow, extremely helpful! Thankful I'm not alone and to actually understand, somewhat, the physiology of it all helps. Here I am thinking they are a healthy choice to nibble or bake with I was completely wrong and packed on a few lbs doing so. Darn it.

I was reading someone else's post on PUFAs and the danger, as I poured a bit of sunflower seeds I checked the label and it was 10 mg per serving! New to this concept I have no idea if this is high or not but considering it was the highest of the fats listed in this particular food I found it a little alarming.

I am slightly confused with the theory that "fat doesn't make you fat" when I see something like what Choco talks about eating too much fat you will gain fat because that's what it is stored as. So, is it calories, macros, ....? What should I pay most attention to to not get fat? It all seems so complicated when I would rather not spend such amts of time thinking about it. It seems everything I put in my mouth that isn't a vegetable or meat will make me gain weight in some form wether it be water, inflammation, or actual fat.

I do know from now on its no nuts/seeds for me. So what do you all bake with? We are gluten free so I tend to make with almond flour thinking this was the best choice. Now I'm completely stuck! Having 4 kiddos, 3 teens or approaching, I need to have healthier baked goods to choose when the crap offered everywhere else is tempting.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Pretty much all plant seeds have some defects. The first drafts of paleo were very concerned with glycemic index and saturated fat so nuts were acquitted on that count but in reality they're close cousins of grains and legumes.

Healthy baking is tricky--it's always going to be a nutrient-poor calorie bomb regardless of the ingredients. The best you can do is avoid grain toxins and bulk-quantity sugars. Coconut, tapioca, arrowroot, and chestnut flours are reasonably light. I've used plantain and cashew as well.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by splunky View Post
    I am slightly confused with the theory that "fat doesn't make you fat"
    Allow me to clarify. The theory is completely wrong. Not only can fat make you fat, but it is by far the most likely macronutrient to be stored as body fat. Carbohydrate is a difficult conversion process. Protein is so incredibly unlikely it isn't even worth mentioning since it would have to go animo acids -> glucose -> fat. Can you imagine exhausting glycogen storage by overeating protein? The amount necessary would have you vomiting due to overconsumption before it would happen. Although it is theoretically possible, it's really physiologically impossible to be significant.

Low fat diets are given a bad wrap around here because of the Standard American Diet. First off, the SAD is NOT low fat. It is around 30-35% dietary fat, 35-40% dietary carbohydrate. Second, the carbohydrate and fat there are both very low quality - refined grain flour, refined sugar and refined seed oil. Lots of PUFA's, no vitamins and minerals, lots of gut irritating lectins, anti-nutrients and huge caloric surpluses. So for some reason, the moderate fat/moderate carbohydrate SAD has been misrepresented as a low fat diet when what it really is is a low protein/high toxin/huge caloric surplus diet.

In terms of a purely Primal approach using whole foods, a lower fat/higher carbohydrate diet in equal calories would probably yield a superior body composition in most people than a higher fat/lower carbohydrate diet, assuming protein consumption remains constant. Reason being is there is less dietary fat to be stored, carbohydrates are more anabolic than fats (yielding superior musculature), and carbohydrate raises the metabolic rate where fats do not, possibly yielding a slight metabolic advantage (and boy do I HATE the phrase "metabolic advantage!").

Quote Originally Posted by splunky View Post
    when I see something like what Choco talks about eating too much fat you will gain fat because that's what it is stored as. So, is it calories, macros, ....? What should I pay most attention to to not get fat? It all seems so complicated when I would rather not spend such amts of time thinking about it. It seems everything I put in my mouth that isn't a vegetable or meat will make me gain weight in some form wether it be water, inflammation, or actual fat.
    It is calories. That's what matters for weight gain and weight loss. Keeping protein elevated will help preserve muscle mass while in a deficit and promote lean mass gain during a surplus - so macros do matter for body composition - but in terms of pure weight, it's CICO. To maximize weight loss, you want to get as much of your calories from whole foods as possible. This means minimal added fats and sugars. There is nothing more fattening than refined fats, so adding oils and butter to your foods is the most effective way to gain body fat. Even more than added sugars. Adding sugars will lessen the amount of stored fat you burn by promoting glucose oxidation instead of fatty acid mobilization, but adding refined fats go right to your belly, thighs and butt.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-08-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast