Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 13 Worst Diet Wreckers page 6

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Coke is HFCS.
    I think there is a lot to this. When I was a kid back in the 50s/60s, Coke (and all sodas) were made with cane sugar. Cokes came in small bottles and we might have one a day if that. We were also running our asses off everywhere and playing. I don't remember any of my friends being fat.

It was when HFCS came into common use and the serving sizes got larger that started hurting people.

The first diet drink I can remember was TAB (holy shit that was nasty tasting stuff). I was lucky if I could drink a whole can without gagging.

I think the fat/sugar combination is spot on for being easy to overeat. Donuts, candy, etc. full of sugar and crappy fats and very easy to pig out on.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    I think there is a lot to this. When I was a kid back in the 50s/60s, Coke (and all sodas) were made with cane sugar. Cokes came in small bottles and we might have one a day if that. We were also running our asses off everywhere and playing. I don't remember any of my friends being fat.

It was when HFCS came into common use and the serving sizes got larger that started hurting people.

The first diet drink I can remember was TAB (holy shit that was nasty tasting stuff). I was lucky if I could drink a whole can without gagging.

I think the fat/sugar combination is spot on for being easy to overeat. Donuts, candy, etc. full of sugar and crappy fats and very easy to pig out on.
    Yep. Cane sugar is way different. Many on peat report that drinking coffee or "Mexican" coke with cane sugar suppresses their appetite, whereas hfcs increases it (since it's all concentrated fructose).

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Texas Grok is right on, with the addition that in my case my parents considered Cokes special treats so I don't think I made the 1/day average.
    Cokes came in small bottles and we might have one a day if that. We were also running our asses off everywhere and playing. I don't remember any of my friends being fat.
    And portion size: That small bottle TG refers to was 6 oz and made of glass. It went to 10 oz sometime in my youth, I'd guess in the late '50's, and the 6 oz bottle gradually disappeared.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    A bit off topic, but regarding coke bottle sizes, that's how it still is in NE Asia.

If you order a coke at the restaurant it comes in the mini-can (either the shorty, or the tall-skinny). And then the whole table passes it around and each person gets about 1/3 of a small glass.

When my American friends visit they always seem to comment on the small cans, one actually said "at that size, I will have to order THREE of these", and then he did exactly that.

Gaye Hopper is offline Junior Member
    Wow I don't want to see that slideshow again it makes me hungry and I hate temptation! I have also read some other diet wreckers information and I'm sharing it to all of you. Here it is.

JungleJazz is offline Member
    I'm glad I've finally been able to kick my raging coke addiction. That is some very nasty stuff & it doesn't matter how good the rest of your diet is if your drinking it!!
    I used to have about 1 litre or so on a good day.. Often more!! The stupid thing is, while I was cutting back, I had so many people tell me "but your only drinking 1 a day, that's ok"
    Grrrr no wonder why I'm twice the woman I used to be!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Nellodee is offline Senior Member
    I was reading ingredients lists today, on food we have around the house. "Lean beef hotdogs" are advertised as a healthier hot dog but have a lot of corn syrup in them. Guess it's not the high fructose sort, but somehow that was still very surprising.

Maybe this isn't relevant but I was looking around for a place to share :P
    token vegetarian

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I don't blame you. Why is there corn syrup in a meat product? Gack.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
    Why is there corn syrup in a meat product?
    Because in North America corn makes up a large portion of the aggregate food supply, and the population must eat the food supply.

...but since nobody wants to eat a bunch of dry grains they transform it into corn sugar and corn oil, and put it into everything. YUM!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456