Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Coconut milk/cream ? How to keep it? page

Quoniam is offline Junior Member

What to do with Coconut milk/cream ? How to keep it?

Primal Fuel
    I have two tetra-paks; one of each, the Aroy-D brand. I've read that it doesn't keep very well after opened. Is there any way to keep it at all? I've read it doesn't freeze well. Can you freeze it and then use it for shakes / smoothies, since that's more or less what I use it for?

For example, if I were to make a lot of smoothies with it, would it keep then in closed glass bottles in the fridge?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    As to how to keep.... yea, a bottle in your fridge if fine for several days.

I've never tried to freeze mine..... I would think the work to chisel it out and use would be a bit daunting.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoniam View Post
    For example, if I were to make a lot of smoothies with it, would it keep then in closed glass bottles in the fridge?
    Ya, I use old mineral water or syrup bottles. Still not a great lifespan so I don't open a can unless I mean it.

You can try an ice cube tray--it gets very crystallized but if you're blending it that may not be a problem like it is for hot coffee. Coconut ice cream keeps well in covered glass.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    lol... me and the family just leave whats in the can unused and cover it with some saran wrap and throw it in the fridge. I figure coconut is anti-microbial enough to make it a few days- a week without too much concern in this manner.

Quoniam is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the answers so far. The issue is that the tetra-paks say that it won't last more than 2 days in the fridge (??) which seems a bit little. I certainly can't imagine myself drinking 34 ounces of coconut milk in that time frame since I only use about 6-8 ounces at a time for shakes.

And it's only $2.99 for the whole pak... otherwise I'd just get cans of Native Forest at the local Stop & Shop. But I can't really pass up a deal like that. I like the ice cubes idea, might try that.

Any other ways? What if the glass bottles (think snapple) are covered with saran wrap at the mouth and placed in the back of the fridge - will that help?

sqidmark is offline Member
    I mix it with eggs to make a large omelet, then take a section of that to work for lunch each day.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    lol... me and the family just leave whats in the can unused and cover it with some saran wrap and throw it in the fridge. I figure coconut is anti-microbial enough to make it a few days- a week without too much concern in this manner.
    Glad I'm not alone there. Actually, I didn't have any plastic wrap, so I stuck a ziplock bag over it and closed it as far as it'd go. It's been that way for a week and seems to still be good.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

miata is offline Senior Member
    I make coconut kefir for my*smoothies. Lasts longer in the frig, sour taste blends neutralizes bitter greens like kale and probiotics are a plus.

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, I find the tetra paks don't keep well either. Because aroy-d doesn't have gums and stabilizers, it does tend to settle out and glop up. It's hard to shake an open tetra pak without getting spray all over the kitchen. I put it into old kefir bottles that have a good lid so I can give it a good shaking.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast