Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Coconut milk/cream ? How to keep it? page 2

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I just had the same problem and I get through loads of coconut milk. I threw more than half in a blender with a pkg of frozen strawberries a banana and vanilla, put in popsicle containers and froze.....yum. I also use it to make yogurt. If I am not making one of the bigger things then I tend to just use the cans.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Neat, never thought of looking in the freezer section.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    As to how to keep.... yea, a bottle in your fridge if fine for several days.

I've never tried to freeze mine..... I would think the work to chisel it out and use would be a bit daunting.
    I just pour the leftovers into a zip-loc sandwich bag and throw it in the freezer. Make sure you squeeze the air out of the bag. No chiseling required.

Barefoot Golfer is offline Junior Member
    I use this brand and store it in the fridge in a separate container with a wide enough opening to fit a spoon in so I can stir it up just before use. I would say that it lasts a bit longer the 2 days in the fridge, maybe 3-5 days. I use it fairly often in my morning iced americano (just add the milk and mix prior to ice), we use it as a cooking oil (in the frying pan with veg, or in a dish for slow cooking meats), mix it in with your ground meat for moist burgers, use it as a milk sub for a primal version of cereal (it actually has a consistency more like yogurt once in the fridge for a day so that's kind of nice).

If it gets too thick for you in the fridge, just spoon some out into a glass or something and mix with a bit of water until it is the consistency for what you want.

The Arroy-D brad is the best I have found so far since there is no other ingredients like guar gum, and it is 100% BPA free. This is very hard to find in any other coconut milk/cream product.

zoeamy is offline Member
    what to use coconut cream with?

Pretty much everything.

smoothies, curries, icecream, baking, making paleo nut ball snack things (lara bars maybe? i dont know what they actually are), put it in your bath if you're feeling decadent, whip it into coconut frosting, put it in your coffee if it floats your boat.

As for storage, once you've opened them they don't last that long. Maybe a week or two? Best bet is to freeze it if its not going to be used pretty quickly, it defrosts quickly.

If you're making a curry with coconut milk, don't boil it with the coco, because it will split. Looks ugly, tastes fine though.

Oh also, check the ingredients because some brands add thickeners and/or water.
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    I just cut it open and leave it open, in the tetra pack in the refrigerator. I have had no problems (it does harden...). I have left it for upwards of two weeks and no off taste
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    Aroy-D coconut milk (no extra ingredients) can last up to a week in the fridge in a glass bottle. I take the bottle out and pour out what I need in a second, seal and return. Don't leave the unused portion out. I usually use it up before a week though. Annoys me to plan a menu using the coconut milk and finding that it has spoiled..

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    For the coconut cream, we had quite the experiment occur. Knifegill bought the "Let's Do Organic" coconut cream (Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food) at our local co-op. That was at least a month, if not more ago. He heated it up enough to remove it from it's bag, and then realized he really couldn't use it like he uses coconut milk. So, he put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It sat there for a few weeks, and then he took it out of the fridge to make space for our bone broth, and left the coconut cream on the counter, in it's container. It sat there, unopened, for another week or two (I'm pregnant and nauseous, so there's no way I'm going to investigate and clean old food containers!). Yesterday, I asked him to finally clean the coconut cream container. He opened it up, smelled it, and discerned that it still--oddly--seemed to be good. So, he put some in his eggs and scrambled it and then ate it.

It's been 24 hours and he hasn't died yet...

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    Knifegill bought the "Let's Do Organic" coconut cream (Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food) at our local co-op.
    My daily staple--I snip a corner and squeeze it onto fruit or chocolate. Never seen it spoil, I'm pretty sure it's made from dessicated flesh so there's no water content.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    For the coconut cream, we had quite the experiment occur. Knifegill bought the "Let's Do Organic" coconut cream (Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food) at our local co-op. That was at least a month, if not more ago. He heated it up enough to remove it from it's bag, and then realized he really couldn't use it like he uses coconut milk. So, he put it in a tupperware container in the fridge. It sat there for a few weeks, and then he took it out of the fridge to make space for our bone broth, and left the coconut cream on the counter, in it's container. It sat there, unopened, for another week or two (I'm pregnant and nauseous, so there's no way I'm going to investigate and clean old food containers!). Yesterday, I asked him to finally clean the coconut cream container. He opened it up, smelled it, and discerned that it still--oddly--seemed to be good. So, he put some in his eggs and scrambled it and then ate it.

It's been 24 hours and he hasn't died yet...
    Atrue testament of it's anti-bacterial and anti-microbial abilities!
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast