Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Primal...how much fat? page

Js137 is offline Member

Not Primal...how much fat?

Primal Fuel
    So, I have been eating primal for about 2 months now. Everything is going great. My family eats some of what I do, but often lots of grain and other non-primal foods. The question is: if you are not eating primal should you still use full fat food? Should they be eating eggs cooked in butter like I do or with an oil based spray? Should they not use full fat greek yogurt for a berry smoothy?

Sorry if this has already been asked - I am horrible with the search function!

Thanks!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Probably not, if they are still eating grains and sweets and what not, they are triggering an insulin response that will make them store all that yummy butter around their bellies.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Well I assume you're only cooking evening meals for them, and to me it seems like evening meals are dominated by produce even on a standard diet, with some meat some veggies/salad and some bread/rice/potatoes. Just make sure the last category doesn't become the main part of the meal and including fat shouldn't be an issue. I'll also note that P/C/F ratios of 30/40/30 are a lot healthier than 20/70/10 <--- these 10% are usually made up of trans fats etc in "low fat" items.

I'd rather OD on grains than consume a single nano gram of hydrogenated oils or trans fats. cept for the one found naturally in meat.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

Max[imilian] is offline Senior Member
    The way I understood is, from reading TPB, was that increased levels of insulin (from increased carb consumption) would direct any fat absored to go straight into fat cells, instead of being burned/used as fuel.

So an increase in fat consumption, while eating non-primal, would increase weight, health issues, etc.

FYI - This is how I understand it, but I could be wrong.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    If there is no insulin resistance, massive systemic inflammation, nutrient deficiency, thyroid problem, etc then it doesn't matter how much fat and carbs a person eats (except for polyunsaturated fats and non-fiber bound fructose). If they do have a bit of the good ol' metabolic syndrome and they're eating grains, they're fucked anyway so might as well eat some yummy fat while they die slowly.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Stabby. My husband is not primal, he still eats a serving of grains (Bob's red mill cereal) each day and refuses to give that up. He has however enjoyed consuming the meals I prepare with grass fed beef, vegetables cooked in butter and coconut oil and fried eggs in butter. He hasn't gained an ounce and has no insulin problems.

I think the problem is that many people who consume fat and carbohydrates together (as in SAD) tend to kick up the insulin response or consume unhealthy fats (like trans fats or corn oil) or unhealthy carbs like refined white flour.

can the metabolic syndrome be reversed?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yes, absolutely. The general low carb, low inflammation, low neolithic poison, high nutrient, good exercise, etc is a good place to start. I'm no expert in healing, but I do know that basical paleo/primal works wonders. Look at Griff. Give him another year and a bit and compare before and after.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    nice, there is hope for our people yet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast