Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Evolution of training page 6

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    What is his routine the rest of the month?
    Oh heck, he's been doing HIT his whole life from my understanding. Former powerlifting champ and stuff. Seems he's a once a week sort of guy, and I've seen him post on the Body by Science site his weekly workout on several occasions. Here are two more of him:

Doug's Intense Training Workout Demo. - YouTube

DOUG'S 60 SECOND WEIGHTED CHIN UP - YouTube

The sixty second chinup isn't exciting until you try it for yourself..... Ouch.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    What is his routine the rest of the month?
    Resting his lower back and drinking beer, calculating how he can reduce and strip down the volume to 1X1 (one set of one rep!) of deadlifts once a year for even higher intensity...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Resting his lower back and drinking beer, calculating how he can reduce and strip down the volume to 1X1 (one set of one rep!) of deadlifts once a year for even higher intensity...
    Well we often ask.. "how strong is strong enough?"... At age 50+ and not much over 150lbs dude just rocked out 5 or 6 deficit deads then a drop set (kinda, just ditched the deficit) for 3-4 more with 366lbs. I'd say thats strong enough, and if you could just maintain that with a once a year workout I'd be game! Especially if that meant more time to drink beer and rest my back (actually throw in some BBQ too please)

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well we often ask.. "how strong is strong enough?"... At age 50+ and not much over 150lbs dude just rocked out 5 or 6 deficit deads then a drop set (kinda, just ditched the deficit) for 3-4 more with 366lbs. I'd say thats strong enough, and if you could just maintain that with a once a year workout I'd be game! Especially if that meant more time to drink beer and rest my back (actually throw in some BBQ too please)
    Yes, I agree about that, maintaining raw strength is much easier than gaining it, and the guy sure rock by deadlifting like that! Deadlift is a special lift though, and less is often better. Personally I am not trying to gain more raw strength either since strength endurance is more important to me now, and that aspect sure would be suffering if training too infrequent...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 08-13-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yes, I agree about that, maintaining raw strength is much easier than gaining it, and the guy sure rock by deadlifting like that! Deadlift is a special lift though, and less is often better. Personally I am not trying to gain more raw strength either since strength endurance is more important to me now, and that aspect sure would be suffering if training too infrequent...

Yeah your right it would.

Well I do see that all of us tend to change things up periodically (periodize even?) even if that isn't what we call it. I'm kind of wondering... if your not into athletics anymore and have no need to "peak" what sort of long term periodization would you do. I mean for me its just that about every 6 months or so I get bored and change the program to what interests me.... totally intuitive really.... no planning involved. Is that how you guys roll or do you look at the long view... like 2 years worth of planning or some such thing? For me I just moved from full body strength and power type work out to a hypertrophy rep scheme and split.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-13-2013 at 08:37 AM.

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yup! Once a month deadlift. Doug is the man. I'm only 35, have a bout 10lbs on him bodyweight wise and still lifting about 100lbs less than he did in that video. Hopefully with 15 more years of training I can catch up
    BAM now we're talking, 5 minutes workout, 29 days rest.

Two of doug's leg muscles are hangin out chatting. One sais to the other. "Fuck man remember that weight we had to lift 3 weeks ago", "shit yeah do I ever" the other one states "it nearly ripped me to shreds". "We'll we better keep packin in new cells and don't you dare start atrophying on us man, incase we ever have to lift that shit again" sais the first.

More seriously this is the direction training should be heading IMO. Stress the crap outta yourself for 5 minutes then sit around on the couch building muscle all week, or work on strength endurance or cardio fitness in the time between.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    This is what I do...
    Completely randomise everything. I'll just bust out some BW push's, pull's or squats or other excercises, any time, anywhere, when ever I feel like doing them. If I get the urge to do a set (one only) I'll mix it up big time usually. By doing some hold reps, some explosive reps, some slow and fast reps, do some differing variations within the set. I usually go till spent (not always tho) and probably won't see that excercise again anywhere from days to weeks away.
    If I happen to go near a weights set I might load the bar and bust out some big lifts, tho this is a rare occurrance for me.
    It has worked pretty well for me so far but I can see how it is not optimal. although I believe I'm getting the same effectiveness as someone doing a 3+ day a week routine as they tend to eat into their muscle building (rest) time by lifting again repeatedly. So in effect I'm getting full mileage out of my minimal work (by resting heaps).
    I also train and play football (soccer) 2 nights a week, go for bike rides and other random stuff that builds endurance and fitness while I'm building muscle from BW stuff.

If I ever get the urge I might work out something similar to apply to a gym kinda like that Doug dude. To hopefully maximise effectiveness.

Sent from my iPhone
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dilberryhoundog View Post
    BAM now we're talking, 5 minutes workout, 29 days rest.

Two of doug's leg muscles are hangin out chatting. One sais to the other. "Fuck man remember that weight we had to lift 3 weeks ago", "shit yeah do I ever" the other one states "it nearly ripped me to shreds". "We'll we better keep packin in new cells and don't you dare start atrophying on us man, incase we ever have to lift that shit again" sais the first.

More seriously this is the direction training should be heading IMO. Stress the crap outta yourself for 5 minutes then sit around on the couch building muscle all week, or work on strength endurance or cardio fitness in the time between.

Sent from my iPhone
    I went through a stage where I wanted to see how long I could go without getting weaker. I've always been a 1 set type of guy, so I would do a chest press, row and leg press with failure set around the 60 second mark for each exercise. I got up to six weeks and would still see gains. At seven weeks I had lost strength. So there you go.... three minutes every six weeks.

For a more serious routine I would look at the chest press and dead lift for strength. For cardio I would throw in sprints by running, swimming, or rowing machine,
    Last edited by Vick; 08-13-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456