Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of training page 5

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Trying a fun little experiment starting this afternoon ...I'm switching up my current workout to a 3 Day per week muscle endurance program for a couple of weeks (light weights very high reps). I like to shock the system every once in awhile, hit the muscles in a different way with a different form of intensity.

Here's what I'm planning:

2 Circuits (30 second rest between exercises - 2 minute rest between circuits)

50 Squats - 135 lbs.
    40 Bench Presses - 135 lbs.
    20 Pull-ups - Bodyweight
    20 Dips - Body weight
    20 Seated Pulley Row - 130 lbs.
    30 Calf Raises - 200 lbs.
    50 Sit-ups
    50 Hyper-extensions
    Looks interesting. I would have trouble with the squats and perhaps even the hyper-extensions in that program. Let us know how it goes for you!

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Alright, I'll get out there and do it again, until I fall over! And then I'll megadose baking soda, magnesium and potassium to my legs don't turn to stone, lol.

Scratch that. I want to do my chin-ups on the playground!

As for the OT, is this more a question of scientifically what the body can stand, what's best for size gains or strength gains, or what works best for each person in their own life as demands vary?
    Neckhammer posted great info. I could be wrong, but I'll bet Gorbag like Pavel Tsatsouline's concepts.

He preaches the rule of 10 reps. Focus on sets of 2 -3 reps but in all cases so not exceed 10 reps per exercise. Always leave 1 -2 reps in the "bank".

5 -7 seven reps appears to be the magic number that makes the difference between strength gains and strength with Hypertrophy but I'll be that is up to dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Trying a fun little experiment starting this afternoon ...I'm switching up my current workout to a 3 Day per week muscle endurance program for a couple of weeks (light weights very high reps). I like to shock the system every once in awhile, hit the muscles in a different way with a different form of intensity.

Here's what I'm planning:

2 Circuits (30 second rest between exercises - 2 minute rest between circuits)

50 Squats - 135 lbs.
    40 Bench Presses - 135 lbs.
    20 Pull-ups - Bodyweight
    20 Dips - Body weight
    20 Seated Pulley Row - 130 lbs.
    30 Calf Raises - 200 lbs.
    50 Sit-ups
    50 Hyper-extensions
    That would be cardiac arrest for me.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Looks interesting. I would have trouble with the squats and perhaps even the hyper-extensions in that program. Let us know how it goes for you!
    Well boys I got through the first set barely, the second set I had to cut the reps in half on the squats, bench and pull-ups. It'll take me a couple of weeks until I can build up and get through the workout doing 2 complete circuits, but I'll eventually get it done.

When you look at the works of Ross and Tsatsouline... since they both work with athletes... they talk about using strength training to get stronger, but not going to fatigue and training for your sport.

Do you think not going to fatigue requires training for the other sport as part of the catalyst to getting stronger or can you do it with resistance training alone and avoid going to fatigue? Fatigue is defined as not having good form on your final rep... not lying on the floor wishing you could move.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    When you look at the works of Ross and Tsatsouline... since they both work with athletes... they talk about using strength training to get stronger, but not going to fatigue and training for your sport.
    If you are training for a spesific sport you will often, but not always, get plenty of fatigue from the sport you are doing! But it also depends where you are timed related to important competitions, since accumulated fatigue will be negative in the period when you need to keep up intensity. So for this reason high volume fatigue training usually comes before periods with high intensity and important competitions, and if you do it right you will get a boost and super compensate when reducing volume, get more rest and rise intensity! That's the theory behind it anyway...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

There was a nearby highschool that use to stop all practice for one full week just prior to the end of season team tournaments. Then come back for a light day the day before. Of course hardly any of the guys actually took the week off. After training your ass off all season how do you explain the long break? Years between that and learning about various training philosophies I think I get what that coach was trying to do with his athletes.

Neckhammer I just watched the video you posted on Gorbag's thread about hardcore training. I noticed that his total workout was 10 reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Neckhammer I just watched the video you posted on Gorbag's thread about hardcore training. I noticed that his total workout was 10 reps.
    Yup! Once a month deadlift. Doug is the man. I'm only 35, have a bout 10lbs on him bodyweight wise and still lifting about 100lbs less than he did in that video. Hopefully with 15 more years of training I can catch up

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yup! Once a month deadlift. Doug is the man. I'm only 35, have a bout 10lbs on him bodyweight wise and still lifting about 100lbs less than he did in that video. Hopefully with 15 more years of training I can catch up

What is his routine the rest of the month?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast