Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution of training page 3

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Forgot to talk about the diet macros. Typically I like lots of variety but do it in a structured way. So each week in which I increase intensity I also increase my daily carb grams and slowly decrease my fat, protein stays about the same (pretty much stay on Primal version of Paleo). During the rest week I go strictly old school Paleo, pretty low on the daily carbs (keep below 75 gms) and keep my fat and protein high.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-09-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Question to all:
    What is your weekly routine and program? I'm not so much interested in your weight rather than are you going to failure or leaving a few reps on the table. are you going after volume or intensity?

My exact routine right now is 3 times a week scheduled at least once I get there.

I do my dynamic stretching walking in from the parking lot.
    TGU 1 rep each side.

Drop the weight by 5 lbs and do 1 rep each side.

Deadlift target 1 set of 3 reps, at 95% 1RM followed by 5 reps at 85% 1RM One set does not last long than 10 seconds to minimize lactic acid.

3 sets of 2 reps torture twists.

I try not to go to failure, but there are times I push that extra rep... particularly when I know I won't be back on schedule.

Time Under Load per session: less than 4 minutes

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I'm still pushing to failure... my program just before I took this past 10 days off was:

Workout A
    Weighted dips to failure
    drop set to bodyweight dips to failure (no rest between drop sets.... and move from one lift to the next with minimal rest)
    Weighted chins
    drop set to unweighted... again to failure for both
    Leg press to failure
    Shoulder press to failure

Usually shooting for 3-6 reps with a 5/5 sort of cadence.... Upper body stays in the 45-90 second TUL zone and lower is 90-120. For chins I'll usually do 4 reps weighted then 3 unweighted for instance.

72-96 hours Rest

Workout B

On this workout I actually take as much time as needed between sets rather than the no rest thing I do in workout A except when dropsets are involved.

Deadlifts 3 sets of 5-10 with increasing weights as my warmups to
    1x3-5 essentially to failure
    Dropset to 50lbs less and usually hit 10-12 reps near failure.
    Overhead Press 3x3-8.... depending on where I'm at.... only the last set is to failure.

72-96 hours rest before workout A starts again.

I would get through each workout in 20 minutes or less sometimes. Did this routine these past 6 months or so and have made some nice gains, but my deadlift is really stalling out now and I'm feeling more run down for longer periods on my days off. Time to change some things.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-09-2013 at 04:14 PM.

For me its classic progressive resistance - For example in a 5 set 12 rep series I'll initially pick a weight in which I can get 3 sets of 12, 1 set of 10 and 1 set of 8, once I can do 5 sets of 12 I up the weight. Once every couple of weeks I'll pyramid up to 1 rep max on certain lifts - primarily Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts in other exercises like dips or pull-ups I'll do maximum number of reps at body weight until failure.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    For me its classic progressive resistance - For example in a 5 set 12 rep series I'll initially pick a weight in which I can get 3 sets of 12, 1 set of 10 and 1 set of 8, once I can do 5 sets of 12 I up the weight. Once every couple of weeks I'll pyramid up to 1 rep max on certain lifts - primarily Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts in other exercises like dips or pull-ups I'll do maximum number of reps at body weight until failure.
    Up until the past month, I did 1 set 5-10 reps to fatigue and went up progressively to fail on my last rep. You work with less weight relatively speaking so that you can get in 5 sets of 12 reps.

I chose 1 set, because there is no evidence, showing the multiple sets improve strength. Why do you like 5 sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Up until the past month, I did 1 set 5-10 reps to fatigue and went up progressively to fail on my last rep. You work with less weight relatively speaking so that you can get in 5 sets of 12 reps.

I chose 1 set, because there is no evidence, showing the multiple sets improve strength. Why do you like 5 sets?
    Its a body building thing. For me personally I would not get the type of pump, muscle gains or physique shape I am looking for with just one set. Training for basic strength and body building are two different ways of training, depends what your goals are.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Its a body building thing. For me personally I would not get the type of pump, muscle gains or physique shape I am looking for with just one set. Training for basic strength and body building are two different ways of training, depends what your goals are.
    Thanks. That answer helps many people determine their program based on their goals. For me strength is the number one goal. Strength that allows me to lead an active life. Everything I read leads to upping the intensity and lowering the TUL for strength. This appears to be very important in weight limit sports such as boxing, etc. More reps appears to add to hypertrophy which is not always a good thing at weigh in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Thanks. That answer helps many people determine their program based on their goals. For me strength is the number one goal. Strength that allows me to lead an active life. Everything I read leads to upping the intensity and lowering the TUL for strength. This appears to be very important in weight limit sports such as boxing, etc. More reps appears to add to hypertrophy which is not always a good thing at weigh in time.
    Speaking of weight limit sports you might find this interesting. I use to wrestle in high school and at university, we did strength training similar to your current approach but also added muscle endurance training and circuit weight training once or twice a week. We would build up to ridiculous amounts of reps like 50 reps on the bench at 135 lbs. or 100 squats at 135 lbs. - light weights very high reps.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-10-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Oh you were a wrestler too hey canuck? I knew there was a reason I liked you...

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Oh you were a wrestler too hey canuck? I knew there was a reason I liked you...
    Yeah, wrestled 148 how about you?

It's a great sport, set the foundation for many of my athletic adventures from running to weight training. I remember we used to go for 3 to 6 mile runs several times a week and people use to throw beer bottles at us and call us fags (yeah people used to drink and drive back in the late 60's). We used to have these fund raisers called walk-a-thons to raise money for cancer etc. One was a walk of about 27 miles , the wrestling team said hell we'll just run it! Ha Ha ... when I got home and in the bath tub I totally seized up and my dad had to come in and help me out of the tub!
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-10-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast