Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High fat question page

almomajol25 is offline Junior Member

High fat question

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading about the benefits of a high-fat diet, and I'm having trouble understanding how get the right proportion of fat in my diet with grassfed meat. I eat exclusively grassfed/pastured meats and these seem pretty lean, and unfortunately often not as tasty as the higher fat grain fed meats in the grocery store. I've gotten pretty decent at cooking them but it's still sometimes a challenge. And yes I use coconut oil and ghee and lard and such in my cooking but still feel that I could benefit from a greater proportion of fat in my diet. I can't tolerate dairy and have to be careful with eggs too (sensitive) or else I'd do more of these, so I am wondering, aside from gorging all day on nuts, if anybody has any ideas about this. I enjoy bacon but have an autoimmune condition so have to limit pork, at least that is what people tell me. If grain finished meats have more fat in them and high fat is good, then is it still really better to eat grassfed?

Thanks!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yes.

GF has a better fat and vitamin profile for health. I'm not sure where you get yours but my GF beef can still be be found with a high fat content 75/25 here U.S. Wellness Meats — Our Animals Eat Right So You Can Too.

Bone in fatty cuts are the healthiest most primal cuts you can choose.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-06-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by almomajol25 View Post
    If grain finished meats have more fat in them and high fat is good, then is it still really better to eat grassfed?
    Yes, because grassfed gives the fats a healthier omega 3 profile, for one. Make sure not to overcook grassfed meat, when cooked to the same "done" level, they might be a bit more tough than the grainfed meat -- which might be why you don't think they taste as good.

Whatever comes naturally with the meat is the correct proportion, but you could always add butter/coconut oil/fat of choice on top if you wanted a higher percentage of your calories from fat.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried beef tongue? It's extremely fatty and tasty. How about avocados? That's a perfectly natural fat.

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I actually get most of my high fat intake from oils, butter, bacon, lard, egg yolks and nuts.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried just egg yolk? Many find they're sensitive to just the white. Avocados are also good. Have you tried alternative dairy - goat cheese? Why do you think your fat intake isn't high enough?

almomajol25 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. I feel like my fat intake isn't high enough because i crave fat frequently and am still more hypoglycemic than I think I should be. A perfect meal for me is, for example, fatty ground beef sauteed in bacon fat stuffed into a veggie with some herbs and S+P. This makes me feel great. But whenever I eat meats that seem to dry -- as in the fat content is pretty low -- I feel off. I get most of my meats from a local producer in Portland, OR where I live called Deck Farms. They are great, but I do find some of their meats too lean for my taste. They are hardcore pastured animals 100%. I am wondering if maybe there is a big difference WITHIN the world of grassfed animals and whether some are just fattier than others for reasons that have to do with breed of animal, or something else. It seems to me there is variation within grassfed. Most mornings I crave nothing more than a plate of bacon -- and I know it is because it is very fatty and I need the fat, especially in the morning. Maybe I will try another purveyor and see if that changes anything. Lately all the steaks I've been buying grassfed are disappointingly tough as well, even one I tried the other day from the supermarket here. I've tried ribeye, tenderloin, and NY strip and they have all been less than tasty, which is not what you want in a steak. Just kind of tough, which may be a different issue from the fat issue. I usually cook medium....

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Oh, you could have coconut butter when you crave fat. It's extremely fatty.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Find a good butcher shop. There should be more grassfed options there if the neighborhood is filled with people who would be able to afford to care about it (if that makes sense). My local shop has grassfed everything... Fattiest dry aged rib eye, ground beef, and beef ribs ever all grassfed.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Also, make your own mayo and put it on everything. Bacon grease mayo is amazzzzzing.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast