Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Specific Carbohydrate Diet - anybody? page

namelesswonder is offline Moderator

Specific Carbohydrate Diet - anybody?

Shop Now
    This ain't another one of those MOAR things, I'm just looking for anyone else who is using or has used this diet format to treat digestive disorders. I just got the Breaking the Vicious Cycle book and am going to read it this week, start the diet next week.

I've been struggling with IBS-C for the past year and realized recently that constipation was an issue for me pretty regularly for my whole life. I remember some specific episodes as well as episodes that I know occurred on a regular basis, like avoiding using the bathroom anywhere but home. Right now, I'm using magnesium citrate to keep things moving, but I want to see if there's more going on. I think it's possible I've had some kind of dairy intolerance for my whole life that didn't really come to a head until now (now I'm DEFINITELY dairy intolerant).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

almomajol25 is offline Junior Member
    I've found the GAPS diet which is similar very helpful for leaky gut, and I can't tolerate dairy. Similar to SCD. Recommend checking it out.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Used it/using it for my youngest son. He's gone through all the stages in about 18 months and now he is only limited to not eating gluten (well he WONT eat veggies, but no biggie), and we limit corn food stuffs. My boys eat pretty much straight primal now with the exception that they get some gluten free crap more often than me or my wife.

I would say the 24 hour yogurt was integral to improving his GI health, as was removing starch for a period. I am considering dropping back to stage 2 for another few months now that he is 4 years old and I think we could have a bit more variety at that stage and induce some more healing.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    My exboyfriend had severe ulcerative colitis and got cured from being on this diet. He also took a probiotic supplement/yogurt called BioK. I would highly recommend this diet to anyone with digestive problems and it isn't a whole lot different than Primal.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    My Third has been on it uninterrupted since Jan of 2006. We have been able to only bend the diet to the point where she can eat tubers, peeled, a dash of root starches in food like a bit of arrowroot, and the oddball organic grain-syrup-free candy, and no more, preferably not all on the same day. I have since heard of GAPS, which is SCD-based, and will be buying the book shortly in order to study the differences and implement as I will.

Just for full disclosure, SCD doesn't talk much about fatty acids like the Primal does, except to hate on soy oil (rightfully, IMHO), and Primal totally wins in this department. The two are generally very compatible and alike, but SCD is way stricter - there is no such thing as a cheat in that world, or any excuse for ingesting anything off-list. If you have done a Whole 30 totally honestly, you will get the idea.

Anyway, it made my kid's chronic gas, diarrhea, bloating all disappear in one year's time. But then, she had been sick for quite a while before that, way longer than a year, so I will take it.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

What resources have you all used for guides for the SCD? I just wolfed down Breaking The Vicious Cycle tonight. Tons of great info, I put sticky notes everywhere for reference, but now I feel totally overwhelmed with how to start. It's the whole "slowly introduce stuff one at a time" bit that gets me. I need a meal plan for a few weeks =P

Neckhammer, what are these stages you are referring to? BTVC does not use stages, as far as I read. It only refers to an introductory diet, and then introducing other things slowly. The SCDlifestyle website has some recommended stages, I think. I got their free downloads, including a diet plan that starts with nothing but (off the top of my head) broth, pureed carrots, and watered down grape juice.

I've done a Whole30 totally honestly once. I am not sure I can make a go of this with a SAD-eating husband. It's incredibly daunting!

Prunes seem to be the recommended constipation treatment. I do not think I've ever eaten one.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Try Recipes for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet - Crohn's disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Celiac, Autism and The Scientific Diet for GI Problems, Autism and Other Conditions and the Breaking the Vicious Cycle - The Specific Carbohydrate Diet sites.

I got some really helpful recipes and info off of them in the past. I haven't been looking for a while now, since I have been busy experimenting with Primal tweaks, tho.

It took me two months to clear the pantry of non-SCD stuff way back when, because as I got rid of things, I had to take the time to find replacements. Mashed potatoes were hard, for ex, but I got decently good at making mashed cauliflower. You might try the same thing - go through your fridge and cupboards, slowly finding replacements, and as you go, you will be getting in compliance.

This diet plays with sugars and starches, as you now know, so all of your Primal goodies like meat, fish, fowl, eggs, bone broth, butter, coconut oil, are all there still. But it really is an "add in slowly" thing, because everybody trying this diet is sick to differing degrees and individual responses are just that - unique and individual. When your pantry is done, or at least you have your stuff all lined up, try broth fasting for a couple of days to kick off the SCD - that equates to stage I, which is the stage of dietary rest for the intestines if one is in the middle of a bad flare.

Does your hubby support you in this??
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

I'm kind of starting from scratch anyway. I cook very simple meals, we eat the same things throughout the week. It's mostly a budget thing. There's rarely much in our cupboards or fridge, rarely fresh vegetables. I make an effort to do a meal with fresh veggies at least once a week. (Cue somebody coming in & telling me I suck at primal or whatever, yeah, I know, but it's all I can manage.) This means completely changing how I eat. I need to try not eating crucifers for a little while, since we kind of live off of broccoli. I've been eating a lot of tubers for the past several months at least, so that is going to be a big change too.

I read the whole BTVC book last night & have browsed the site. Lots of good info about digestion & gut damage etc. It's all about diarrhea and not really constipation, though. It's past the intro diet that I don't understand. I have found plenty of recipes, but I'm just not sure what to do after the intro. Do I just add one veggie at a time? Just start cooking with available recipes? Since I'll just be cooking for myself starting Sunday through the rest of the month, it'll be fairly easy to come up with a meal plan and cook accordingly. I can't afford to buy a bunch of recipe books so I'll be relying on what I can find online & the recipes in the back of the BTVC book. [edit] I see the SCD Recipe site has a ton of recipes! Thanks!

My husband eats a SAD diet and is all for me trying to sort out my gut issues. He's going to be away for 3 weeks starting Sunday, so that's when I'm starting. Not sure how this will work when he's back and doing some of the cooking. I'm fine being the sole cooker for a while, which is what we did when I cracked down on being strict paleo too. He will probably enjoy having more ingredients to work with, as long as I have the fridge stocked, then he can make whatever he wants with what's there, saving the tubers & rice for himself.
    Last edited by namelesswonder; 08-07-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I had constipation issues all my life, but they went away. It seems to be connected to not eating too much of anything at the expense of something else. Not too many veggies, not too much fruit, not too much meat, not too much fat. Lately, I try to judge my ability to digest and absorb food by checking out the output, as gross as it is, but that seems to be a great feedback (I use a chart from Practical Paleo). I take glucomannan daily as well. I dunno if it helps, but overall, save for the extreme VLC, skewing macros screws digestion for me. And after the VLC, it took a while for digestion to normalize. What surprised me is that I need to limit veggies (my favorite cabbages, lol) in favor of fruit and tubers.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast