Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone try Quest Protein Bars..... page 2

drheather is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I use them when traveling-decent amount of protein, no sugar. They are sweeter than I prefer and some do taste artificial, but I like the cinnamon roll and peanut butter flavors.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, the Balance and Kind bars may be more Primal, but they're worse sources of protein. I wouldn't say Quest bars are "Primal approved" but I'd definitely nominate them for your 20 percent if you need a convenient, packable source of good protein. Tanka bars or pemmican would be better choices, but the price can be prohibitive, and some people find pemmican unpleasant.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I don't know if my gut bugs would be braced for that whack of fiber.
    !

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    As far as manufactured protein bars go, I think these are probably just about the best out there.
    I would agree with this, but they still have that whey pasty mouth feel that all "protein" bars do. As a candy bar, I prefer the Kind carb bombs. As a protein source, I prefer a couple of hard boiled eggs liberally seasoned with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I would agree with this, but they still have that whey pasty mouth feel that all "protein" bars do. As a candy bar, I prefer the Kind carb bombs. As a protein source, I prefer a couple of hard boiled eggs liberally seasoned with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
    Well we don't apparently disagree at all. I presently use some unflavored, unsweetened whey for the muscle protein synthesis benefits/BCAA content, along with the fact that it's so unfilling, but that's a temporary measure to help elicit some growth. I also eat eggs like they're going out of style (~60 super jumbos a week).

For long-term health, I'm 100% in the "eat real food" camp. Never had a Quest bar in my life, so I can't comment on the taste.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Me too but as I said I'm gonna be on the beach with no real food to speak of so I need a decent fix so as to not indulge in appropriately.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    "Epic Bars" if you can find them. A little pricey, but all Primal/Paleo. And good too(although the Turkey is a little on the dry side).
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    I eat these pretty often and like them. the raspberry white chocolate is absolutely delicious (but I only rarely pick that flavor because it's got sucralose), and the higher-fat ones are far more satiating than the lower-fat ones -- keep that in mind if you're using them as a meal replacement.

Last semester, during finals week, I was eating 2 a day as meal replacements, plus a third meal of meat and vegetables. Lost weight, obviously, because of the reduction of calories.

A note if you're diabetic (I'm not, but I've researched the bars heavily and came across some interesting articles): despite the low number of "net carbs", some diabetics experience blood sugar spikes from the bars... it's unclear why, though.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you for suggesting these. I used to do the protein bars back when I was first beginning to get more into "health food", but dropped them after concluding it's just a candy bar. If the SO approves, I'll pick up their variety pack and see how it goes.

M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12