Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Now, it's my time to recover. page

Nstocks is offline Senior Member

Now, it's my time to recover.

Primal Fuel
    I’m starting this journal following all of the helpful advice I received over the past few months in response to this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84039.html (this initial post covers the very starting points of going Primal)

I’m going to keep it short and get straight to the points.

Bloated when waking, after eating or drinking so pretty much all the time!

Severe constipation. Often don’t pass more than a few ‘pellets’ a day and have dihorerra about once a week.

Extremely cold feet all the time. I’ve tried a few things such as Gingko Biloba to try and improve circulation but no avail.

Dark under eye circles. Again tried a lot of home remedies, creams, massages and neti pot but they just don’t shift. I find they get worse when I’m at work (retail) and have to go 5 hours until I can have something to eat (also very stressful at work, dealing with a few thousand customers in the 10 hour shift) Also the fluorescent lighting doesn’t help but again, this worsens them, not causes them since I'm only working twice a week.

Zero energy to do anything, both physically and mentally. I don’t feel like a 22 year old male, but rather someone on the decline. I don’t really care that much about my life (career) right now and I want to get better so that I can focus on getting my career, having graduated last year. This means I don’t exercise very much. 1 hour of running in a nearby wood and maybe 30 minutes of strength training with no equipment per week.

Low libido.

Mild acne, which was the reason for eating a wholefoods diet. Overall skin looks dull and blotchy with some scars. Cutting out meat and vegetables did initially help with constant jawline acne, but it's starting to come back, mildly. I’m ordering a derma roller to help with this since no amount of natural products has helped me.

4 years ago I changed my diet from SAD to more fruit and vegetables. 2 years ago I became primal and the past 4 months I’ve been eating:
    Fruit – mostly nectarines, which I’ve eaten to the point of becoming bored of them.
    Goat dairy products having avoiding all dairy for over 5 years.
    Animal produce – minced lamb, chicken breast and salmon 2-3 times a week at most. I eat as many oysters as my local stores stock, usually 10 per week at most.
    Some junk food but not a lot anymore. (mostly to get over orthorexia and obsessions with "health" food. I'm over that now)

I spend a lot of time in the garden (bare feet) and no longer obsess about "health". Obviously doing so for the past half a decade hasn't exactly helped me.

I’ve tried Matt Stone’s program but it made me gain 20lbs in the space of 3 weeks. I now weigh around 162lbs at 6’ 2”.

A few weeks ago I visited my GP explaining my symptoms and concerns and how as a 22 year old, I should not be feeling like this. I managed to get a full blood test for what I suspect is low testosterone and hypothyroid. Below are the results.

The Doctor was a little hesitant to give me the results due to “legal and confidentiality” reasons (and he probably thinks I’m a hypochondriac). I managed to get them anyway but after leaving I realised my testosterone was not printed out. Although my symptoms are extensive, the Doctor noted that the request for bloods was because I’m “tired”. Today was the follow up after bloods and he said to work on my “lifestyle” (even though I explained what my situation is) and that he doesn’t want to give me any drugs, which I’m pleased with.

Figures in (brackets) are the given ranges where applicable.

TSH – 1.1 mU/L (0.35 – 4.94)

Blood Haematinic Levels
    Vitamin B12 – 343 ng/L (187 – 883.0)
    Folate – 9.5 ug/L (1.8 – 18.3)
    Ferritin – 33.6 ug/L (22.0 – 275.0)

Serum Lipid Levels
    Cholesterol – 4.1 mmol/L
    Tryglyceride – 1.9 mmol/L
    HDL Cholesterol – 1.1 mmol/L
    LDL Cholesterol – 2.1 mmol/L
    Total Cholesterol: HDL ratio – 3.7

Urea and Electrolytes
    Sodum – 140mml/L (133.0 – 146.0)
    Potassium – 4.1 mmol/L (3.5 – 5.3)
    Urea – 3.3 mmol/L (2.5 – 7.8)
    Creatinine – 82 umol/L (64.0 – 110.0)
    GFR calculated abbreviagted MDRD - >90mL/min (60.0 – 200.0)

Plasma Glucose – 4.9 mmol/L (3.0 – 6.0) Note: I fasted for 15 hours

Bone Profile
    Calcium – 2.52 mmol/L
    Albumin – 46 g/L (35.0 – 50.0)
    Corrected Serum Calcium Level – 2.40 mmol/L (2.2 – 2.6)
    Alkaline Phosphatase – 75 U/L (30.0 – 130.0)
    Serum inorganic phospale level – 0.74 mmol/L (0.8 – 1.5) Note: This is recorded as below range

Liver Function
    Total Protien – 75 g/L (60.0 – 80.0)
    Globulin – 29 g/L (20.0 – 34.0)
    Alanine aminotransferase – 15 U/L (<37.0)
    Bilirubin – 18 umol/L (< 21.0)

Blood Count
    Haemeglobin concentration – 153 g/L (135.0 – 169.0)
    Total white blood count – 4.7 10*9/L (4.5 – 13.0)
    Platelet count – observation – 207 10*9/L (140.0 – 400.0)
    Red Blood Cell Count – 4.80 10*12/L (4.25 – 5.77)
    Mean Cell Volume – 90.0 fL (84.0 – 99.0)
    Haematocrit – 0.433 (0.41 – 0.51)
    Mean Cell Haemoglobin Level – 31.8 pg (27.5 – 32.5)
    Mean Cell Haemeglobin concentration – 353 g/L (209.0 – 348.0) Note: This is recorded as above range
    Neutrophil count – 2.53 10*9/L (2.0 – 7.5)
    Tissue Transglutaminase LgA Level – Negative (For celiac disease)

Most of these results are “within (a very wide) range” but I’m sure they are not optimum. I wish I had my testosterone levels but I’m not making an appointment just to get those results.

Hopefully some of you will be able to interpret these better than I (or my GP) can and advice me on the next steps to get better. I know it’s not an overnight transition.

Thanks to everyone in advance. I greatly appreciate your time and knowledge.

EDIT: Testosterone was missing but here it is now:

Testosterone
    31.0 (9.1 - 34.3)
    Last edited by Nstocks; 08-07-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Whole Blood Serotonin (5-HT)
    Prolactin (PRL)
    Parathyroid Hormone (PTH)
    Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy

You need these as well. It's not enough, what he gave you.
    nihil

Yup and the Thyroid level is quite useless, I think. There's no chance I'm going back to the Doctors. I don't understand where he gets the idea to advice me on my issues. He says I'm shy and as long as my personality works for me, I shouldn't worry about what other people think! I'm sorry but for someone whom has seen me all but 30 minutes in the past 3 years, I have no idea why he said that. I'm more confident than the last time I went to see him;, I speak us, I keep the conversation going, look him in the eye, shake his hand etc. etc. I think dealing with thousands of people (literally) each weekend from the general public has helped my social skills too. He did say though that these are "common traits" when someone comes in and doesn't know what they want to do with their life. Not quite true and I couldn't be bothered to explain to him my career desires.

I've been looking online at private blood tests, some look like a scam, like thyroid test for 25. Some require me to go to the clinic which is 100 or more miles away. (and I'm selling my car this month). Hmm, maybe someone from the UK knows of a good private and affordable place to get tests. (I might email BUPA but I know they require one's presence to get the tests done and are not cheap).
    Last edited by Nstocks; 08-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Some of your results are pretty good though. Deducing what is there, your PTH might come back OK, because an indication of high PTH is increased calcium and lower phosphate. Though, this is speculation.

Having increased confidence is also indication that your 5HT is on the decline, too.

What you probably just need is a little bit of t3, increased protein, and a carrot salad daily.
    nihil

How does confidence reduce 5HT? (the neurotransmitter for happiness is it? Doesn't that go up with confidence?) I don't mean confidence as in, being cocky or arrogant, but just not being afraid to speak up and accept who I am. My good cholesterol isn't very good is it?
    T3 from a supplement/drug?
    Last edited by Nstocks; 08-06-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Not a direct reduction, but a sign:

ALCOHOL-INDUCED DEPRESSION: INVOLVEMENT OF SEROTONIN

Keep in mind everything modern medical says about serotonin is wrong, and that alcohol usually makes people more open and less inhibited.

Cytomel is what I take. Having labs for rt3, and the rest would be useful, but judging by your symptoms of temperature and pulse, you need some.
    nihil

Your cholesterol is normal. My cholesterol levels are hovering around 130, but this is because it's being used rapidly to create steroid hormones.
    nihil

Derp, with the Dermaroller, how do you prepare the skin? (unless you just use it on your scalp). Some say just wash face with water, others say to use a "skin disinfectant". Also, to clean the roller what do you use? I've found this but it seems expensive for a small bottle: http://www.amazon.co.uk/STERILIZER-I...roller+cleaner

My roller arrives tomorrow, 0.5mm which is apparently the minimum to stimulate collagen. http://www.derma-rollers.com (I paid 55 since it has discount. These are used by the NHS are are certified sterile and medical grade. I figured it's worth paying for a good one, even if it needs replacing after the recommended 3 months.)

I plan on applying aloe vera gel afterwards, then going to bed. Should I also get a vitamin E cream to apply after the aloe because it apparently helps with collagen.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 08-06-2013 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Link wasn't working

I clean it with cheap alcohol, a cloth, and hot water. Water works well, unless your face is really greasy. Vitamin e would be good, but check to make sure it's pure vitamin e.
    nihil

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There doesn't seem to be any good vitamin E creams out these so I'll just use aloe. Is there any point taking Vit E as a supplement?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast