Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Now, it's my time to recover. page 3

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, Knox is just standard, run-of-the-mill gelatin powder.

Do they not have smoked oysters in the UK? These usually come in a can, and they are probably way cheaper than fresh ones.

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    We do have smoked oysters over here: John West Smoked Oysters Sunflower Oil 85G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Is there still any benefits with these though? It would be a lot easier to buy some canned oysters (maybe find some that aren't in sunflower oil) rather than the hit-n-miss runs to the supermarket to get fresh.

Yes, smoked oysters are good. That's what Derp eats. You should try to find ones in olive oil though.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I get canned oysters in water and just have them drained and sprinkled with sea salt. Once I got over the color and the ... errrr shape I actually started craving them.

I don't think I can get those in the UK, unless I pay an extra 1+ per can. (which are probably even more expensive than fresh: Crown Prince Natural, Naturally Smoked Oysters in Pure Olive Oil, 3 oz (85 g): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery)

Amazon US have olive oil and water, UK don't have much at all really, nor do other stores. I'll try the sunflower ones and see if I even like them smoked, since I hate smoked salmon and then I'll go from there.

They are not the nicest thing to look at but they are tasty and super healthy.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I got my tests done in Poland cos' 1) it's cheaper, 2) I'm half Polish and speak the language fluently I don't think you getting tests done there is an option.

I'm going to give you contrary advice to everything you've been told so far. You know what I think you should do? MAKE MONEY. Most of your set backs seem to be from a lack of funds. Try to get more shifts at the supermarket, or get a part time job elsewhere. Don't say nothing's available, cos' a lot of it is down to attitude. I think you should stop thinking of yourself as sick for a while, and just see how it would feel to be out of the house more, and earning.

Right now you can't really control your health, but you can control your external situation.

Thanks for the oysters link! I haven't been able to find them.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I hear ya' with the financial situation. In a few weeks I'll have at least 2k from selling my car. I don't use it enough anyway so even if I had money I'd still sell it... It's not worth 60 a month to me anymore (but when I travelled to uni it was very much worth it).

I get a little bit of overtime, when it's available, like this week I'll be working 16 hours. Overall the company have reduced everyones hours and employing new people because their biggest 'debt' is staffing hours. My job doesn't really bother me much anymore, in the sense that "Oh boy, another 10 hour shift, how is my frail body going to cope". I'm told I'm a very hard worker and I get complements from customers. I've even taken over someone else job (same pay) because they were too lazy to do it properly. (dealing with thousands of customers, it's not surprising!)

I'm still working on my career path too. I've designed some furniture but in order to sell the idea, it needs to be photo-rendered to look appealing and realistic. This costs money but I'm already months in the process of working with someone. He's helping me out for a good price as he too was an poor Architect student and even 8 years ago couldn't find work. Honestly, if my skin was a little better I'd push myself more but since the design industry is so hard to break into, I'm focusing on just one thing right now. I sent out over 120 CV's when I graduated last year and it was the same story each time; not able to pay or no current placements. (a lot of fellow students have gone back to education in another industry)

That's a huge knock back since Uni make out graduation to be key to gaining a job (I almost got a first class honors degree), but I realised that this isn't the industry I want to work in for many reasons, underpaid and overworked being one of them. The reality is though, that my career will at this time, depend upon wether my designs are sold. After that I have a good start in applying for things with a real project. (because using work examples from university is not realistic and is actually pretty stupid to respective employers) I don't see why I can't be "that person" whom is able to sell their idea, to get published, to get a dream job. It happens and I'm smart enough to get there too, it's just going to take a while but that's what life is about!
    Last edited by Nstocks; 08-07-2013 at 02:09 PM.

I know you said that you don't want to work as an architect, but...So (story time): When I visited Germany a couple of years ago, we went on one of those walking tours. The tour guide was an American who studied architecture in the U.S. and then moved to Germany. (His mom was German so he also had German citizenship.) He told me that when he first started working at his architectural firm, he worked for free. He worked for free for ten months or a year, but they eventually hired him. Are there firms near you where you can work for free for a while, maybe part-time so you can still keep your supermarket job? Even if you don't end up getting a job out of it, at least you'd have some work experience.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, dude - handing out CVs is pretty much the worst way to try and get a job! You need to network. THat's how people get hired in 2013. Recommendations.

Start working on your portfolio, start saving money. Eat well, and stop stressing about food.

How bad is your acne? Honestly? Scale of 1-10?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I know you said that you don't want to work as an architect, but...So (story time): When I visited Germany a couple of years ago, we went on one of those walking tours. The tour guide was an American who studied architecture in the U.S. and then moved to Germany. (His mom was German so he also had German citizenship.) He told me that when he first started working at his architectural firm, he worked for free. He worked for free for ten months or a year, but they eventually hired him. Are there firms near you where you can work for free for a while, maybe part-time so you can still keep your supermarket job? Even if you don't end up getting a job out of it, at least you'd have some work experience.
    A few years ago before the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) changed "the rules", students could work for free and that allowed their experience, to get them onto the next level of study. Now though, because firms KNOW we need real-world experience, they would take use to take advantage of this free labour so the RIBA decided that students on year-out/experience must be paid minimum wage in order for their experience to be accountable and logged, signed and checked to move onto the next level of education. It would have been fine for me to work for free (and still be in retail) but because free labour in Architecture is no longer acceptable under RIBA, it's pointless. (unless one doesn't plan to actually become an "Architect" and instead stay as an "assistant". ) "Architects" require 7 years education and at least 5 years hands-on paid experience, in order to claim the official title "Architect". It's a horrible industry now and most get into it because their family are Architects or because of wealth and contacts. It's different everywhere else and I believe in the US, education is 5 years and experience is 3 years.

I no longer want to go back into education either. At 9K a year (up from 3.4K 2 years ago) it's very expensive, not relative to the real world and most tutors don't care about our work. Architecture is still appealing to me, but education is not and if I worked in Architecture, it would need to be a large, exciting, well-known company. Not a firm making small house extensions or loft conversions.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast