Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Now, it's my time to recover. page 12

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    P.S.

Not being a paleo hippie here, but those things all contain endocrine disruptors skin level. Your skin can moisturize, and clean itself just fine with water and adequate thyroid and nutrients. I would try the all natural route for a few weeks, I guarantee your skin will be back to normal soon enough.
    nihil

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Nstocks, I'm a bit shocked you don't moisturise!!! All your skin protocols, and you've been missing out on the foundations

Would you feel comfortable taking a pic of your skin so I can have a look? Tbh, it sounds like you might have eczema. Your skin sounds really dried out, and I bet it's not helped by all the stuff you're doing to it. OCM is really drying for some skin - I couldn't do it.

If I were you, I'd go for a really simple, soothing moisturiser for a while, and see what effect that has. You know this one? They feel it in most stores, and it's affordable. I use it a lot and find it very moisturising. E45 Dermatological Cream 125g , Dry Skin Treatment | eBay
    About 3 years ago on the quest to natural skincare for acne, I tried EVERYTHING. I tried each thing for months, some things like washing with honey and applying jojoba went on for 2 years! I also use Liz earle cleanser if you've heard of it. All natural blah blah blah. I know how important moisturising is and I think jojoba oil did work, but it completely stained my skin, making it look like I have jaundice. I don't do anything to my skin anymore, other than derma roll and apply Vit E cream. Plus the occasional DIY face mask and exfoliating with a muslin cloth.

I might take a picture tomorrow... I've just taken one in horrible lighting but it just shows mild acne scars. My skin isn't like extremely dry and flaking, but it to me, looks a bit red and in general quite lifeless. It's definitely not eczema - I know a fair amount about skin, perhaps this is why I gave up - reading a lot about how this can help, and how this will reduce this condition.... I tried it all and never got results.

I might look at E45. I need more of a "repair" than just a ton of moisture. I'll try to take a picture, purposely in horrible lighting to show as much detail as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Eat the gelatin, and use coconut oil on your skin. Also, in the bath don't use any soaps or anything, they dry your skin. I bathe with honey, milk, egg yolks, and cold filtered water. Try the same, I will never waste money on those moisturizing products again. Seriously, the amount of PUFA and garbage in even the organic ones is absurd.

Yup, I eat a good amount of gelatine daily. Coconut oil made my skin dry. (despite being an oil, coconut oil isn't actually that moisturising) I don't use any soaps apart from goat milk soap on my body and epson salt baths below my neck only. I've seriously neglected all "skincare" and went natural for the past year or more. I've also done a 3 month "caveman" routine where no water or anything touches my skin. Looks very gross but after exfoliating, skin did look a little better. (not breakouts though)

Yeah with the Origins product, I kinda thought that something upmarket with fancy ingredients and images would make the product work... Another reason for boycotting all skincare was because of all the lies and false claims.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Derp that it might be good to go natural, but I think a simple moisturiser will get you out of a tight spot (no pun intended ) I have dehydrated skin, and the one I linked you is really soothing. I also use the body lotion version (E45 Dermalogical Moisturising Body Lotion 200ml) as a base for my Vit B powder. THe combo makes probably the best skin care product I've ever used!

Apart from that, I just use rose water as a cleanser. It's super delicate - way better than water. Water can be drying on the skin, as you probably know.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I do think I need a moisturiser, but when I'm going to bother applying stuff to my face, I get the sense that more is better. Like an idea cream would include Vit E for sebum, Vit C to make Vit E more effective, B3 and maybe a ceramide/fat. It's probably impossible to get a product that pure unless I make it myself, which I have no desire to do. (Do you just mix Vit B and E45 together?)

So don't you let any water go on your face? Water is definitely drying, but unless one is super careful, water is always going to touch the face when washing hair. Unless you use rose water with cotton pads after showering?

EDIT: My skin balances out at the end of the day, it's just in the morning and afternoon that it looks a bit dry. I never rub my skin dry and I'm always careful when washing etc.

I also think that adding (goat) dairy back in has made my skin seem softer. I think it's a coincidence that consuming it after cutting it out for the previous 4 years has made a difference.
    Last edited by Nstocks; 09-05-2013 at 03:30 PM.

You probably need more sleep. Water is only drying if it's too hot. Use cold water. And, idk, coconut oil seems very moisturizing to me.
    nihil

That's something I already read about when I look for ways to get rid of heavy, tired looking eyes: more sleep. I sleep plenty. Granted perhaps not optimal hours, normally from 12pm/1am til 10/11am. At least 9 hours of quality sleep. I finally don't need ear plugs either!

I really don't know why I don't have great skin. I mean, I see plenty of men with incredible skin and I just wonder how they get it. Genes perhaps. I'll post a pic tomorrow of part of my face to show you what I'm dealing with.

Not related but I've just sent away some of my hair for analysis in Iowa! A website dedicated to naturally curly hair suggests it's important to know hair porosity, density, elasticity and other things when choosing natural hair products. That's a whole other story but again, something I've never been happy with. (Still love my curls though!) I'm looking forward to having images of my hair sent to me at microscopic level!

Picture might help. Maybe take some thyroid, too. Do you notice dryness anywhere else? Hands, elbows, etc;?
    nihil

Which thyroid is 'best' and from the UK directly, if you know of any? My feet haven't been as cold lately but my waking temp is under 36C when waking. (I test it weekly or so). Maybe the thyroid will help with tired eyes too. No dryness anywhere else. I used to have extremely dry hands a few years ago, but they are fine now.

Try some desiccated thyroid and watch for signs of t3, since they require it to be removed, but it's sometimes not because of accidents. Or you can order from mmds, since they do ship internationally iirc.
    nihil

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lotions are a waste of many, bro. Look at the big picture, get your thyroid humming, get you T up and that stuff just magically goes away.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast