Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinach: how much is too much? page

EMonger is offline Member

Spinach: how much is too much?

Primal Fuel
    I've always heard it's possible to eat too much spinach due to the high amount of vitamin A. I've never worried about it until I went paleo. Now that I'm eating several big-ass spinach salads a week, I find I have to reconsider it.

How much is too much?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Impossible to eat too much beta carotene. Vegetables don't contain retinol, which is the active form of vitamin A
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Impossible to eat too much beta carotene. Vegetables don't contain retinol, which is the active form of vitamin A
    But it's possible to eat too much oxalates and goitrogens. Actually, it's quite easy and for many people spinach is a killer or at least a spoiler.

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    But it's possible to eat too much oxalates and goitrogens. Actually, it's quite easy and for many people spinach is a killer or at least a spoiler.
    Yes, I too would be concerned about the oxalates and goitrogens. I always remember this article from a while back,

New England Journal of Medicine

Cooked spinach for some of the time would be a better option than having loads of it raw.
    Last edited by Slinkykitty; 08-06-2013 at 02:37 AM. Reason: fix link

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkykitty View Post
    Yes, I too would be concerned about the oxalates and goitrogens. I always remember this article from a while back,

New England Journal of Medicine

Cooked spinach for some of the time would be a better option than having loads of it raw.
    Let's be real here. That woman was eating 1.0 to 1.5 kg of bok choy per day. A few salads a week is a completely different kettle of fish
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Let's be real here. That woman was eating 1.0 to 1.5 kg of bok choy per day. A few salads a week is a completely different kettle of fish
    Well, SEVERAL big-ass spinach salads a week aren't a small "kettle." And it depends on ... what else is eaten. Nasty, pesky oxalates tend to be everywhere.
    Last edited by anna5; 08-06-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    200g uncooked looks completely different to cooked 200g.

I could easily do 800g raw into steamed/ cooked .

From London England UK

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    I usually prefer some mesclun, or just tossed vegetables with no leaves. Rotating plant foods is often wise but if you don't experience symptoms from the spinach I wouldn't sweat it.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

tekshow is offline Junior Member
    yea, worry free if its working. I just like to rotate my greens and I'm constantly chowing on spinach, arugula, kale, and broccoli. Mix in some cauliflower and whatever and I keep my palate happy.
    Living the dream - One life at a time!

GiGiEats is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I can easily down 2 pounds of spinach, and when I do, I feel perfectly fine. Oh and there is loads of vitamin A in butternut squash and I literally ate 2 HUGE ONES last night, and I am just fine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast