Thread: Getting better at dips. page

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member

Getting better at dips.

Primal Fuel
    Or maybe increasing dip numbers?

So, basically, I want to increase my dip numbers. Right now, I can only crank out sets of three and, so far, only two sets of that. The rest of my sets drop to two and usually the last one I only get one. This actually makes me happy seeing as how a month-and-a-half ago, I couldn't do one. I'm leaning forward to transfer as much of the force to my chest as possible. And I know that as I lose weight, it'll get easier.

In the meantime, though, what would you say is the best assistance exercise for dips? I do three full body sessions a week, so I don't have loads of time for lots of extra exercises. I try to keep work besides the big lifts (squats, deads, pullups [finally able to do one, dead-hang pullup], etc) a small number, but would like to add something that will help my dips. I tend to FEEL my triceps sapped more than my chest, but at the same time, my only other upper body pushing exercises are dumbbell overhead presses and a small number of pushups I do immediately upon waking, so I don't want to be shortchanging my chest, either.

Any ideas?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Just keep doing it! Once you get to 15 reps, then you can add weight, play with form, do clapping dips, do super-slow reps, etc. Once your triceps are up to par the rest of your body will engage better as your reps increase. Don't think you aren't working out your chest just because you feel it more in your triceps.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 08-06-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html