Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moved to Europe, now I have very limited cooking facilities - help! page

zinnia is offline Member

Moved to Europe, now I have very limited cooking facilities - help!

Primal Fuel
    Hello, MDAers. I recently moved from the US to the Netherlands, and I'm having trouble translating my primal/paleo lifestyle into Dutch! The apartment where I'm living has very limited cooking and food storage capabilities. I have a stove top and a microwave, but no oven of any sort. My fridge is essentially the size of a fridge you'd find in a college student's dorm room (i.e., tiny!). The freezer compartment is hardly bigger than a postage stamp. So far, I've been eating meat (chicken, ground beef, sausage) cooked in a frying pan, salad dressed with oil/vinegar, raw veggies, and fruit. I'm going to be bored to death if I eat this way forever, so I'm turning to you guys for help!

1. I need recipe ideas or general cooking advice for my limited facilities. Obviously, I can't cook in bulk and store large quantities of food. My grocery shopping is essentially limited to what I can carry home from the supermarket on my way back from work. There's plenty of fresh meat, fruit, and veggies available (if I can manage to read the labels...). I'm not so sure about the availability of other primal/paleo staples.

2. What cooking implements or supplies will be the most useful to me? I have the bare necessities - a frying pan, a few small pots, a spatula, some wooden spoons, a few knives. What else should I buy? Keep in mind that I have very little countertop and storage space and I don't want to accumulate a lot of things, since I will almost certainly be moving within the next 6 months.

3. Any other primal/paleo advice and resources from European (especially Dutch!!) MDAers or those dealing with similar limitations would be so welcome.

Thanks!

Paleobird Guest
    I just got one of these and I love it.

Amazon.com: Instant Pot IP-LUX60 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker, 6.33-Quart: Kitchen & Dining

It is a pressure cooker or a slow cooker. Plus you can brown meats in it like for a pot roast. You don't have to get two pans dirty. Has a timer and automatically switches to a keep warm setting when done cooking.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    This is just me, but I do not like the way microwaves cook. I had one in my kitchen, I asked the landlady to remove it (she was really surprised) and got an oven you can sit on your bench (replaces the microwave) I was a bit worried about how it would cook, but I am very happy with it. You can sell it when/if you leave.

I've had to put it on a little white Ikea table to give me more bench space and this has worked.

It always takes a while to find the shops that have the goods you need. See if you can find a local co-operative supermarket. Also try the local Asian supermarkets as the coconut oil is cheaper and you get a few more exotic things.
    Life. Be in it.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Can you get a Tangine or a slow cooker?
    If you get a difuser plate to set on the burner you can use the tangine to slow cook all sorts of stuff into yummyness.
    I have a le cruset tangine (cast iron base) so it can be used to brown meat etc before putting the heat down. Exspensive but soooo worth it, i use it quite a bit (osso buco is my fave)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

jasperb is offline Member
    Hi and welcome to the Netherlands. If you have any questions about labels or other things about living here I might be able to help.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Can you get a Tangine or a slow cooker?
    If you get a difuser plate to set on the burner you can use the tangine to slow cook all sorts of stuff into yummyness.
    I definitely second the slow cooker! You can do worlds with a frying pan, pot and slow cooker will do a lot of the oven stuff you are missing. Good luck and enjoy!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would just work with what you have and go with lots of soups. They do not need to be stored in the fridge, are versatile and yum. Stir-fires is also good in the stove-top only situation.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

CaveBug is online now Senior Member
    When I was living in Africa I had no refrigeration at all. At dinner I always cooked enough to have one more meal of leftovers and it went into a Tupperware container overnight and I heated it up the next morning for breakfast. That took care of two meals and lunch was always something smaller.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Could you get a toaster oven? Ours is smaller than our microwave, but I can fit our 8x8 pyrex in it. I use it to bake things when I don't want to turn on the oven. Would likely expand your possibilities.

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure you can't fit more food than you think in your fridge? We have a very small fridge in our trailer and when we go camping I can keep enough food (mostly meat) in that (minus the produce which is in a cooler), to last our family of 4, a week. The freezer is tiny, but can hold a surprisingly large amount of food (last time I had 16 hamburger patties, a package of sausage, a roast, 2 steaks, and a couple small packages of bacon in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast