Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breast cancer page

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member

Breast cancer

Primal Fuel
    My non-Primal landlady/housemate has been diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. Apparently, it has not spread and she is just having a lumpectomy (sp?) then radiation.

She actually eats fairly Primal because I cook dinner and she has been having eggs (and sometimes bacon) for breakfast. She does eat some bread and pasta.

Any suggestions for how I can help her?
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

Paleobird Guest
    You need to explain to her that cancer cells are different from the rest of the cells in the body in that they can only run on sugar. If you go into ketosis, making your body run on ketones, the cancer cells have no food and die off. So, the take home message is every time you eat sugar or refined carbs that turn into sugar quickly, you are feeding your tumor.

I am NOT advocating firing the oncologist. Absolutely follow their advice on real medical treatment. Dietary therapy is an adjunct to that however that can help get any "stray" cancer cells out and not let them take hold anywhere else.

She is very lucky that they caught it early. My heart goes out to her. Take good care of her.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    +1000! for the ketogenic diet from a fellow breast cancer survivor. Also, look into including anything to support her immune system.
    Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Nothing to add, other than good luck wishes. Caught early = very good.
    F, 43 years old, 4 feet 11.5 inches (yes, that half inch matters!)

**First-ever 5K race 11/28/13: 37 minutes, 18+ seconds, no stopping**

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Yes to keto diet and if she can get her D3 level tested, she would help support her immune system by sunning/supplementing to a blood level of 80-100 ng/ml. (This higher blood level is only recommended for cancer and autoimmune disease.) Make sure she supplements Magnesium, too.

More info at Vitamin D | Vitamin D Council | Providing information on vitamin D.

Thanks! I'll pass those messages on.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Be sure she gets follow-up monitoring very closely, especially at the 5yr mark. She should know that breast cancer often returns in other parts of the body around that time (often in the brain). My mom had a small tumor removed and was "cancer free" for 5 years, taking Tamoxifen I believe, after radiation but no chemo. Just after her 5yr anniversary for initial treatment, they found cancer all over her body and she passed away 6 weeks later. This is not said to scare you, but rather for her to remain vigilant. If my mom's doctors had paid closer attention to her complaints of pain, they would have found some of the tumors earlier.

Sigh. It's hopeless.

She had actually asked me for advice and listened. So I thought there was a chance. But she dogmatically believes that whatever the docs and nutritionists say is the word of god.

Five years ago, we both heard Mark speak at a running club we belonged to. I started doing more and more primal. She quickly decided that she didn't want to be a "cavewoman." I have never pushed primal but I do mention things from time to time, especially things that show primal is not about being a cavewoman. She ought to be impressed by the fact that I have lost lots of fat and that my health is much better.

Anyway, my friend went on line and read all the CW stuff. I had told her to cut carbs and especially sugar. She went out and bought oatmeal, quinoa, lots of fruit (especially grapes), etc. So now she is less primal than before.

She might try supplements such as D3, turmeric, magnesium, etc.

Paleobird Guest
    Sigh indeed,

I have a dear friend who is dealing with spinal tumors right now. He's had the surgery and radiation so the chemo is next. At first he asked me about diet and I gave him all the links, etc.

Now he tells me, "Oh yes, I have really cleaned up my diet. I don't eat meat at all any more."

face/palm.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You need to explain to her that cancer cells are different from the rest of the cells in the body in that they can only run on sugar. If you go into ketosis, making your body run on ketones, the cancer cells have no food and die off. So, the take home message is every time you eat sugar or refined carbs that turn into sugar quickly, you are feeding your tumor.

I am NOT advocating firing the oncologist. Absolutely follow their advice on real medical treatment. Dietary therapy is an adjunct to that however that can help get any "stray" cancer cells out and not let them take hold anywhere else.

She is very lucky that they caught it early. My heart goes out to her. Take good care of her.

I'm confused by this. People who are in ketosis still have normal blood sugar levels. So don't the tumors have access to plenty of sugar anyway?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast