Thread: why is ghee more satiating than butter? page

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member

why is ghee more satiating than butter?

I have a tendency to overeat butter, especially at night...can easily eat 4-6 tbs straight out of the fridge before reaching satiety, however, if I put a tbs of ghee on my meat or vegetables with my meal, I feel completely full and satiated....needless to say, I turn all butter into ghee now to prevent myself from binging on butter lol. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this or know why it works this way.

Paleobird Guest
    Perhaps because it gets rid of the milk solids which contain lactose.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't noticed the phenomenom that the OP has reported, although I too basically only consume butter in clarified form (ghee) now too.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

chima_p is offline Senior Member

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post
    I have a tendency to overeat butter, especially at night...can easily eat 4-6 tbs straight out of the fridge before reaching satiety, however, if I put a tbs of ghee on my meat or vegetables with my meal, I feel completely full and satiated....needless to say, I turn all butter into ghee now to prevent myself from binging on butter lol. Just curious if anyone else has noticed this or know why it works this way.
    It's not the ghee that's satiating. It's the "on my meat or vegetables with my MEAL" that's satiating.

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    I would eat the pats of butter with my meal...just like a separate course...also if I have 1 tbs of ghee straight from the jar I find it way more satiating than 1tb of butter...

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started making my own ghee over a year ago and never looked back. I let it go until the milk solids are a very dark brown. I think my ghee tastes like browned butter. I dont think whole butter would bother me, but I prefer the ghee.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2