Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What Were Your Top 5 Newbie Lifter Mistakes? page 5

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    After reading about the lady with the corset and the 16" waist in that other thread, I think it might be best not to use a belt unless the weight is heavier than the human body can handle. I can't see myself ever lifting that much weight.

As for shoes, I got a pair of Stem/Lemmings/Lems. They're perfectly flat, minimalist shoes but they hug my foot nicely and have good traction on the floor. I don't know if weight lifting shoes would make a whole lot of difference for me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Listening to a certified personal trainer about how "machines" are the only way to go.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Newbies resting on machines between sets is a horrible, horrible, thing to observe! They should move around to keep blood circulating and attack the equipment fiercely to beat the hell out of it, instead of sitting on their ass glancing empty into the air or listening to soft music on headphones…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Newbies resting on machines between sets is a horrible, horrible, thing to observe! They should move around to keep blood circulating and attack the equipment fiercely to beat the hell out of it, instead of sitting on their ass glancing empty into the air or listening to soft music on headphones…
    Newbies on machines is already a bad start...

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    After reading about the lady with the corset and the 16" waist in that other thread, I think it might be best not to use a belt unless the weight is heavier than the human body can handle. I can't see myself ever lifting that much weight.
    But you're comparing apples and oranges. Her corset allowed her not to have to support her trunk using her abdominals. The belt allows you to flex your abdominals harder than you otherwise could without the external resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    As for shoes, I got a pair of Stem/Lemmings/Lems. They're perfectly flat, minimalist shoes but they hug my foot nicely and have good traction on the floor. I don't know if weight lifting shoes would make a whole lot of difference for me.
    I was a skeptic too. Hope you get to try a pair on sometime soon. They really make a difference.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    LMAO.... This may be your best post ever

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Even the free-weight newbie lifters use to sit down on machines and benches to rest! Bench press guys lying down half a sleep between sets and only grabbing the bar to pump out a few reps, instead of getting up move around a little to prepare a serious attack on the loaded barbell…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

^ No doubt I hate loungers. If your gonna sit.... make it on one of them open benches in the dumbbell area if nobody is using it.... or grok squat it!! Either way, the only reason you should be resting on your arse is cause your too spent and are unable to actually stand.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^ No doubt I hate loungers. If your gonna sit.... make it on one of them open benches in the dumbbell area if nobody is using it.... or grok squat it!! Either way, the only reason you should be resting on your arse is cause your too spent and are unable to actually stand.
    One is always encouraged to take a knee after a heavy set of deadlifts in my gym. Too many videos on the Youtoobs of people fainting face-first into the dumbbell rack.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    One is always encouraged to take a knee after a heavy set of deadlifts in my gym. Too many videos on the Youtoobs of people fainting face-first into the dumbbell rack.
    Lol.... I think that post heavy squat/deadlift qualifies for the "too spent and unable to stand" category. Taking a knee is totally cool anytime though. Least then your not camping out on a bench like its your backyard hammock. But this video never gets old..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast