Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 70

Thread: What Were Your Top 5 Newbie Lifter Mistakes? page 4

  1. #31
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    9,328
    Shop Now
    I didn't realize at first that I am as old as I am and that 3x a week would be hard to recover from. I also thought I could do more things so as to spend more time getting exercise. But I could not do so much and had to cut back to the basics and little else and only lift 2x a week. I have improved my ability to recover over time so I can add a few more things now and then, like training for a pull-up (I'm so close!) or taking an Oly lifting class.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

  2. #32
    Jefferson1775's Avatar
    Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Do you have the 0.5 or 0.75" Do-wins?
    I have the .75" ones. If .5" was available at the time, I probably would've bought those instead. That being said, mine have served me well. I wear them for everything, even deadlifts.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

  3. #33
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    I have the .75" ones. If .5" was available at the time, I probably would've bought those instead. That being said, mine have served me well. I wear them for everything, even deadlifts.
    I have the Adidas Powerlifts, which are .5" or .6" and I'm actually feeling like .75" might be the way to go when I replace them. Haven't even tried deadlifting in them, but I do all my squats, power cleans, and presses in them. Some people say they compress more than "real" weightlifting shoes, but I don't notice it, possibly due to the fact that my bodyweight and the weight on the bar are feeble compared to most people who wear weightlifting shoes, and might not be enough to squish the EVA soles to any significant degree. What kind of belt do you wear?

  4. #34
    Jefferson1775's Avatar
    Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,315
    I have one from Best Belts (athlete type, I think). It pinches my gut some during deadlifts, but it's been a big help for them and my squats. It's going to last a long time.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

  5. #35
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    I have one from Best Belts (athlete type, I think). It pinches my gut some during deadlifts, but it's been a big help for them and my squats. It's going to last a long time.
    I have my eye on the 3" Best Belt, which is the same as the athlete belt single-prong, just an inch narrower. I am hoping that my 5'6 stature will render 3" sufficient for squats yet narrow enough not to get in the way for pulls from the floor. Do you clean with it? Some people (T-bone, I think) feel the buckle gets in the way of keeping the bar close on the Oly lifts/derivatives. I am wearing a crappy 4" nylon Valeo belt that I bought on Amazon for like $15 until I save up for a Best Belt. What color do you have?

  6. #36
    Jefferson1775's Avatar
    Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,315
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I have my eye on the 3" Best Belt, which is the same as the athlete belt single-prong, just an inch narrower. I am hoping that my 5'6 stature will render 3" sufficient for squats yet narrow enough not to get in the way for pulls from the floor. Do you clean with it? Some people (T-bone, I think) feel the buckle gets in the way of keeping the bar close on the Oly lifts/derivatives. I am wearing a crappy 4" nylon Valeo belt that I bought on Amazon for like $15 until I save up for a Best Belt. What color do you have?
    I’d imagine that a 3” belt would be very helpful for pulls from the floor. It should work fine for squats, too. I only use my belt for squats and deadlifts. I’ll probably start using it for presses and cleans when I get closer to my BW on them. T-Bone is probably correct about the buckle. She does specialize in the Olympic lifts, after all. Heck, I just do power cleans because their fun . I just checked my email receipt for the color. It’s chocolate, haha
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

  7. #37
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    I’d imagine that a 3” belt would be very helpful for pulls from the floor. It should work fine for squats, too. I only use my belt for squats and deadlifts. I’ll probably start using it for presses and cleans when I get closer to my BW on them. T-Bone is probably correct about the buckle. She does specialize in the Olympic lifts, after all. Heck, I just do power cleans because their fun . I just checked my email receipt for the color. It’s chocolate, haha
    I was hoping you'd say Rust. I have yet to see a photo of a Best Belt in Rust and their color chart leaves much to be desired. How do you like the looks of the Chocolate?

  8. #38
    Jefferson1775's Avatar
    Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,315
    It's a dark brown. I like earth tones, so it works for me. You could probably email the people at Best Belt and ask for some pictures. They seem to be very helpful.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

    This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

  9. #39
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,967
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    It's a dark brown. I like earth tones, so it works for me. You could probably email the people at Best Belt and ask for some pictures. They seem to be very helpful.
    Yeah, I don't want to ask them over and over and I keep changing my mind. I've asked a few guys on the SS forums to post photos of theirs. I've seen orange, maroon, blue, and a couple of other colors. When I'm ready to pull the trigger, I'll ask for a few photos from Mr. and Mrs. Best if I'm still undecided.

  10. #40
    raikay's Avatar
    raikay is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Not sure they sell weightlifting shoes at REI, etc... I'd personally be ordering the 0.5" heel Rogue shoes now if I needed a pair.
    REI doesn't have any weightlifting shoes... at least not the one in my town.
    Every moment of life does not have to be perfect to be of value --Winnie Dalley

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •