Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What Were Your Top 5 Newbie Lifter Mistakes? page 3

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    [QUOTE=Neckhammer;1272336]You sound salty Vick? I've enjoyed our exchanges of ideas....

I have enjoyed many exchanges with you and others. I also allowed myself to get involved in some dumb ones. My mistake... no one else.

D+C
    D+C is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like you've put in the hours already, but the one thing I would never do again is to lift heavy with any weak points, imbalances or inflexibilities. When you're young, stupid and desperate to be lifting heavy weight, flexibility and prehab seems really dull. But trust me, the chronic joint sprains that result from not doing it are even less fun!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    I proved I could get stronger with a total time under load of 10 seconds per routine. I was getting stronger with less than 60 seconds a week.

I posted the info, promoted the methods and the responses I got and made back.... left me "salty".

I musta missed that thread. I do recall talking about BBS/HIT and I have/had been doing 1x/week and you were moving to 1x/2weekys at the time. Don't remember this 60 seconds a week thing??? Interesting as it seems. I'm actually taking at least a full 2 weeks away from the weights right now. My frequency and volume have been creeping up to the point of several stalls this past couple weeks.... So I know its time for a little break and to hit the reset button.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
    For those of you with problems eating enough protein: Did you finally break down and use protein supplement powder/shakes? I generally don't like doing the supplement thing, but I really can't imagine eating that much protein (omfg, that's a lot of food).
    I use protein shakes because I like to avoid the chicken breast/egg white/fatless life with my foods. I do prefer to eat higher carb as I feel like I constantly state on these forums (hah), but I'd choose chicken legs over breast, which doesn't leave me as much room for calories.

Sipping on one now actually :P

I lift in Merrells (Vibrams without the toes), but one day if I have extra cash I'd like to pick up some Rogue shoes. I'd also like a pair of real Vibrams, but trying to actually stick to a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I musta missed that thread. I do recall talking about BBS/HIT and I have/had been doing 1x/week and you were moving to 1x/2weekys at the time. Don't remember this 60 seconds a week thing??? Interesting as it seems. I'm actually taking at least a full 2 weeks away from the weights right now. My frequency and volume have been creeping up to the point of several stalls this past couple weeks.... So I know its time for a little break and to hit the reset button.
    I turned 57 in June. I started resistance training for the first time... almost 3 years to the day. My one son was a phys ed teacher at the time. (He is still a teacher but he is also a personal trainer and instructor in self defense)

He got me started with static holds. (John Little's concept before he co-authored Body by Science.) I started in a cage with the bars at the max leverage point. It was approximately a 2 inch lift with a load that was designed for me to hit failure in less than 10 seconds.

For example:
    The "dead lift" had the bars set just above my knee. It was a 2 inch lift and held to failure. These are stats from 3 years ago.

Date and pounds:

Aug 2 295, Aug 10 315, Aug 16 335, Aug 23 365, Aug 31 385, Sept 9 385 (that meant the prevoius week I didn't hold it long enough) Sept 13 405, Sept 20 415, Sept 27 425, Oct 9 445, Oct 19 465.

I then took a few weeks off and changed the routine. The most gut wrenching routine I ever did was John little's pyramid protocol. This routine had me close to puking so many times it was unreal. Same thing. A static hold. However now you are doing this at the max moment. That means from a leverage point of view you are now at your weakest. This greatly reduces the weight required to hit fatigue. It reduces all wear and tear on the joints. You Follow the BBS big 5 protocol. Hold a weight for 10 seconds... drop it, and then a spotter adds weight and do it again.. rinse lather repeat until you can't hold it for 10 seconds, then work your way back down. After the leg press it would take me about 5 minutes before I could get myself out of the machine.

Oh, I see...Max Contract I think I read it was called. Yeah, I lift alone so that protocol wouldn't be doable for me either way. Interesting concept though,I've used static contract, but usually as a pre-exhaust for chest work. I was reading the book Mike Mentzer and him did togeather (High Intensity Training with Mike Mentzer) and Mike was a full ROM sort of guy.... since starting with BBS I've enlisted all sorts of HIT techniques. Its a terrific philosophy for training under.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
    For those of you with problems eating enough protein: Did you finally break down and use protein supplement powder/shakes? I generally don't like doing the supplement thing, but I really can't imagine eating that much protein (omfg, that's a lot of food).

Thanks for the shoes tip to those who posted about it. It wouldn't have even dawned on me. I see a trip to REI/Sports Authority/ something in my future. I'm considering vibrams, but I'll try the shoes made for lifting out too.
    I use whey powder daily. Itís cheap, convenient, and I donít notice any unpleasant side effects. If you go that route, just make sure not to get any with artificial sweeteners or soy garbage in it. From personal experience, eating lots of protein makes a big difference. Now that I'm paying more attention to it, Iíve noticed a lack of DOMS and improved performance.

If youíre going to be doing Stronglifts, WL shoes will definitely help you with the squats and overhead presses. With the deadlifts, rows, and bench presses, itís really your call on what shoes to wear (or even going barefoot). I bought Rogue Do-Wins and am very glad to have them.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Oh, I see...Max Contract I think I read it was called. Yeah, I lift alone so that protocol wouldn't be doable for me either way. Interesting concept though,I've used static contract, but usually as a pre-exhaust for chest work. I was reading the book Mike Mentzer and him did togeather (High Intensity Training with Mike Mentzer) and Mike was a full ROM sort of guy.... since starting with BBS I've enlisted all sorts of HIT techniques. Its a terrific philosophy for training under.
    I lifted alone because I was in a cage. When I started the BBS big 5 I was in a machine. Then I went to the big 3 alternately the chest press and row one week and the shoulder press and lat pull down the following week. I did the leg press whenever I felt like it. I had the numbers to prove that I could do the leg press and gain a little bit every week, or do it once a month and gain alot. The gains were about the same over a 4 week period.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    I lifted alone because I was in a cage. When I started the BBS big 5 I was in a machine. Then I went to the big 3 alternately the chest press and row one week and the shoulder press and lat pull down the following week. I did the leg press whenever I felt like it. I had the numbers to prove that I could do the leg press and gain a little bit every week, or do it once a month and gain alot. The gains were about the same over a 4 week period.
    I found that I could continue to get stronger with infrequent workouts, but I was concerned I wasn't getting the metabolic punch frequently enough to count as "cardio" as well (along with that nagging feeling I still might get stronger faster with more work). I could have went to sprints, but I really do like working my ass off in a HIT session so I would try to increase frequency instead. Probably too frequent as of late, hence the time off. When I come back I'm gonna do a 1x/week split and 1 sprint day.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    I bought Rogue Do-Wins and am very glad to have them.
    Do you have the 0.5 or 0.75" Do-wins?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast