Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Were Your Top 5 Newbie Lifter Mistakes? page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Mistakes:

1 - Telling people and this board my routine
    2 - Offering advice
    You sound salty Vick? I've enjoyed our exchanges of ideas....

OP: My biggest mistake was flaring the elbows too wide and probably in conjunction with a too wide grip on the bench press leading to a complete rupture of a pec tendon. Not fun. Easily enough rectified though. Keep the grip close to shoulders width and the elbow flare to 45 degrees (not 90) to keep the stress off your tendon and ON the muscle. Course this is really only important when getting relatively heavy. I learned the "bodybuilder" bench form at an early age and just never changed it. Bad move.

Basically any mistake I had EVER is probably form related. Programming can be fixed without catastrophic events. If you work out too much, work out less. If you aren't doing the right combo of exercises .... still fixable. But ill form will kill ya.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-06-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    -Looking in the mirror all the time (ruins your line of sight/neutral head position)
    -Keeping tight and engaged core & back. I still sometimes struggle with this. I don't use a belt, I think it's better to learn that control first before you use a belt, but that's personal opinion.
    -Letting my knees come in on the upward part of a squat. Took me a loooong time to fix it because I left it for so long.
    -Initially not making myself progress as I could've. I wasted some of my newbie gains window. I guess I was afraid of going up too quickly because I lacked confidence.
    I saw a fella on hear say "show me your nutz".... Best cue ever (for a guy... maybe "show me your hoo hoo" works for a girl ). Either way, that cue is now in my head and it works for the leg press as well.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    -at the first small gym I attended, i did not know that bench was not a part of the squatting rack. So I took the bar off the rack and tried to squat from the parallel bars. Yeah. Don't recommend.

-squatting with my back to the rack - I liked looking out of the windows rather than looking in the mirror. A friendly gym monitor pointed to me that backing into the rack is not a good idea.

-deadlifting with a but high up in the air.

-not warming up enough before lifting (8 min is a minimum I need)

-not eating appropriate macros (and maybe not enough?)/trying to lift on the VLC.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    1. Lifting without a program. Wasted hundreds of hours and dollars going to the gym not getting stronger because I wasn't doing programming designed to get me stronger
    2. Refusing to wear a belt and proper shoes. Just like a squat rack and barbell are technology that allow us to produce more force against an external resistance, a belt gives you something to push your abs against and weightlifting shoes create an ideal angle against which to push between the floor and bar.
    3. Trying to deadlift with my butt low
    4. Emphasizing vanity muscles over useful muscles (used to bench press every workout in high school, never squatted)
    5. Squatting too low. Insisted on going ATG for years and never realized I was losing all hamstring tension by doing so.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    Mistakes:
    - Overextending back on any of the exercises, or while even just standing normally. Anterior Pelvic Tilt and Lumbosacral Pain as it Relates to the Hip Thrust and Glute Bridge | Bret Contreras

- Not buying my rumble roller soon enough (seriously, that thing is amazing)

- Not following an established program. I made that transition this week. The one I was doing was okay... sort of.

Recommend:
    - Progress pictures and measurements. Sometimes the scale doesn't move, but you're still definitely changing. Why Weight Loss is Not the King of Achievements | Fitocracy Knowledge Center

- Eating enough protein, and getting adequate rest.

RedMenace is offline Senior Member
    Holy cow, you guys! Thanks so much!

Form is something I'm very worried about. Luckily I have a couple sessions with a trainer, and a friend who's been lifting half his life to assist me with that. I'm very worried about injuring myself. We'll see how that goes.

For those of you with problems eating enough protein: Did you finally break down and use protein supplement powder/shakes? I generally don't like doing the supplement thing, but I really can't imagine eating that much protein (omfg, that's a lot of food).

Thanks for the shoes tip to those who posted about it. It wouldn't have even dawned on me. I see a trip to REI/Sports Authority/ something in my future. I'm considering vibrams, but I'll try the shoes made for lifting out too.
    Prions are natures way of telling us that cannibalism is for losers.

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36522.html

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
    Holy cow, you guys! Thanks so much!

Form is something I'm very worried about. Luckily I have a couple sessions with a trainer, and a friend who's been lifting half his life to assist me with that. I'm very worried about injuring myself. We'll see how that goes.

For those of you with problems eating enough protein: Did you finally break down and use protein supplement powder/shakes? I generally don't like doing the supplement thing, but I really can't imagine eating that much protein (omfg, that's a lot of food).

Thanks for the shoes tip to those who posted about it. It wouldn't have even dawned on me. I see a trip to REI/Sports Authority/ something in my future. I'm considering vibrams, but I'll try the shoes made for lifting out too.
    Not sure they sell weightlifting shoes at REI, etc... I'd personally be ordering the 0.5" heel Rogue shoes now if I needed a pair.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    General mistakes that many newbies makes and not necessary my own;

1. Nerding about minutae/irrelevant stuff and forgetting what really matters.
    2. Coming up from the hole with the butt first when squatting.
    3. Standing too much in front of the mirror with lightweight movements.
    4. Not doing heavy pullover.
    5. Believing the SS nonsense that more weight on the bar is the only way to progress.
    Last edited by Gorbag; 08-06-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I lift in vibrams and I love it. Chalking my hands is another must for me.

I just use egg whites and NF Greek yogurt and/or quark to meet protein recs. 80-100 g a day is not that much & is plenty for my LBM (I carry ~ 105-106 lbs of muscle. Erm, hopefully!). Overeating protein is not doing anything great for you either.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
    I'm sorry, Vick, did I do/say something to offend? Am I using this forum incorrectly? If so, I apologize.
    You have nothing to apologize for. You asked a sincere question, and I gave you a sincere answer.
    I have a habit of doing a lot of research and that will often lead me to a decision or method that is outside conventional wisdom. Going primal is one of those decisions.

At the time as a newbie, I found the fitness thread to be... loaded with people who were still conventional thinking when it came to resistance training. It definitely lead to some dumb comments read by me and certainly typed by me. Guilty as charged.

I was getting stronger by the week, with all the records to prove it. I proved I could go up to six weeks without a work out and lift more weight or the same weight under load for a longer time frame.

I proved I could get stronger with a total time under load of 10 seconds per routine. I was getting stronger with less than 60 seconds a week.

I posted the info, promoted the methods and the responses I got and made back.... left me "salty".

That being said... there is certainly some great advice here. I asked a question a few weeks back regarding deadlifts and got excellent feed back.

So to expand... posting my unorthodox routine as a newbie was a mistake I made.

Trust me... that experience has prevented my from posting what I am doing now.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast