Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: So can we build muscle on paleo and if so...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    225

    So can we build muscle on paleo and if so...

    Are there modifications/up feeds/tweaks to support muscle building?

    I understand what Mark Says about Paleo being able to maintain healthy muscle and fat levels but I am asking about increasing muscle size and density -

    Hearing so many mixed articles on this where people are saying not possible/possible etc.

    Thanks.

    I should inform on my goals:

    I would like to Recomp - I am fairly lean weighing 150lbs at around +- 9-10% BF
    Doing Stronglights 3x per week and some HIIT Sprints thrown in
    Last edited by fkjr2; 08-05-2013 at 07:10 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,426
    You can build muscle on paleo.

    How you go about it depends on whether you are trying to gain weight or merely to recomposition to decrease fat at the same time.

    In either case you will need to be eating a protein surplus and doing strength training.

    If you are trying to recomposition, you would maintain your weight by eating just enough calories to do that, which will depend on your metabolism and your exercise. If you are a naturally skinny, you may have to eat a lot of extra calories to gain that weight.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,474
    why would you think it would be difficult to gain muscle because you stopped eating grains, seed oils and processed foods? do those things have some sort of super anabolic properties that i'm not aware of?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,780
    You might want to increase tubers, including white potatoes, experiment with dairy and switch up macros depending on the type of training you do that day. Paleo style can be maintained on any macros (i.e. Primal on the rest days with higher fat, lower carb and tubers-lean proteins from egg whites, white fish, turkey breasts, NF dairy on lifting days). Corbain has a book about adopting Paleo for athlets.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    225
    Thanks - I just don't want to waste time doing heavy lifts while doing strict Paleo - I seem to be looking "flat"

    lots of bodybuilding advocates preach more higher glycemic carbs post lift to spike up the insulin and pump nutrients into muscles - I am not advocating eating crappy oils and grains, as NOT ON THE RUG suggested, just wanted to know if I should be incorporating more things like rice, potato, tapioca flour, etc post lift days to take advantage of muscle building - I love doing Paleo and feel great just want more effective muscle development.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    Thanks - I just don't want to waste time doing heavy lifts while doing strict Paleo - I seem to be looking "flat"

    lots of bodybuilding advocates preach more higher glycemic carbs post lift to spike up the insulin and pump nutrients into muscles - I am not advocating eating crappy oils and grains, as NOT ON THE RUG suggested, just wanted to know if I should be incorporating more things like rice, potato, tapioca flour, etc post lift days to take advantage of muscle building - I love doing Paleo and feel great just want more effective muscle development.
    Hey dude, I think you've had some fairly uncalled for antagonistic replies.

    To answer your question simply, yes.

    Everything you just mentioned is perfect fuel for your workout days. Honestly dont be afraid to eat big. At 150 pounds and 8-9% BF you're in the perfect place to build muscle with minimal fat gain. Try eating something like +500 cals on workout days and +200 on rest days. Do this for at least 3 months and evaluate where you are. If you feel you have gained more than fat than you like you can get rid of it pretty quick by dropping back to maintenance levels for calories and adding in a bit more HIIT.

    At your weight and BF levels though, I think you would be better of bulking for at least 6 months.

    Good luck man.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,474
    paleo isn't low carb. so eat plenty of white rice, tubers, tapioca, etc. I incorporate white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and fruit in to my diet on a daily basis.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,323
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    paleo isn't low carb. so eat plenty of white rice, tubers, tapioca, etc. I incorporate white rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and fruit in to my diet on a daily basis.
    Lift huge, eat huge. For me to pack on any extra muscle, especially with clean paleo, I have to eat a LOT. I've always had to eat a lot to put on tons of weight, though, so YMMV. Get enough protein and carbs.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Lift huge, eat huge. For me to pack on any extra muscle, especially with clean paleo, I have to eat a LOT. I've always had to eat a lot to put on tons of weight, though, so YMMV. Get enough protein and carbs.
    right but Im trying not to add extra fat to my frame as I would like to recomp.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,474
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    right but Im trying not to add extra fat to my frame as I would like to recomp.
    here we go again...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •