Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So can we build muscle on paleo and if so... page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    right but Im trying not to add extra fat to my frame as I would like to recomp.
    So your question isn't really whether you can gain muscle mass while paleo, it's whether you can add muscle mass while avoiding additional fat mass altogether. And the answer is, maybe a little, probably not much, and good luck.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the very vague answer

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the very vague answer
    vague or not, it's the truth. if you want to add and real discernible muscle mass, then you'll probably add some fat along with it. that's just how it works
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Understood however its been done before with little/no noticeable fat gain - there are case studies/blogs on it - so I know it can be achieved if done right. Was just asking initially if it could be done with Strict Paleo

Understood however its been done before with little/no noticeable fat gain - there are case studies/blogs on it - so I know it can be achieved if done right. Was just asking initially if it could be done with Strict Paleo
    you're setting yourself up for failure if you think it is a realistic goal. honestly. if you want to gain real muscle mass, you need a caloric surplus. you can dial in precisely what that surplus will be (+300 calories, +500 calories, etc) but it still needs to be a surplus. and with that comes fat. if you go +200 a day, your fat gains might be minimal, but so will your muscle gains.

as for" doing it with strict paleo" I think that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. what types of grains, seed/veggies oils and processed foods make you gain muscle without gaining fat? why do you keep coming back to this? how could eating that crap be better than eating real foods when it comes to these goals? what sort of paleo misinformation have you come across that would lead you to believe this is the case?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

jackaaron is offline Member
    I've added muscle while on a caloric deficit. Unless I'm trippin or something.

I've lost 17 pounds total since April, and I've undoubtedly added muscle.....unless I've revealed muscle, but the reason I don't think that's the case is that I've increase my strength, and my puny shoulders are not puny anymore. They didn't have fat on them to lose, they've gotten bigger. So have my arms.

I've just worked out. Not really hard, but I have worked out. 3 times a week. Nothing special...benching with some added bicep, tricep, and shoulder exercises that I kind of switch up on a whim. Squats done a few different ways, all free weighted though. And, deadlifts which I totally, utterly suck at, and often just skip because I suck at them so badly.

I weigh myself every day (I know, bad), and I've went from 235 to 218 (I was 215 the other day after playing 3 hours of basketball, but I've got enough water to get back up to 218).

Aside from the increase in size of my shoulders, biceps, triceps, and thighs, my strength has noticeably increased, and I can even jump higher. I was already tall at 6'3'', but I'm 42, and without taking a step, I can jump up and grab the rim. No clue what my vert is though. Doubt it's very good, but it isn't terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    I've added muscle while on a caloric deficit. Unless I'm trippin or something.

I've lost 17 pounds total since April, and I've undoubtedly added muscle.....unless I've revealed muscle, but the reason I don't think that's the case is that I've increase my strength, and my puny shoulders are not puny anymore. They didn't have fat on them to lose, they've gotten bigger. So have my arms.

I've just worked out. Not really hard, but I have worked out. 3 times a week. Nothing special...benching with some added bicep, tricep, and shoulder exercises that I kind of switch up on a whim. Squats done a few different ways, all free weighted though. And, deadlifts which I totally, utterly suck at, and often just skip because I suck at them so badly.

I weigh myself every day (I know, bad), and I've went from 235 to 218 (I was 215 the other day after playing 3 hours of basketball, but I've got enough water to get back up to 218).

Aside from the increase in size of my shoulders, biceps, triceps, and thighs, my strength has noticeably increased, and I can even jump higher. I was already tall at 6'3'', but I'm 42, and without taking a step, I can jump up and grab the rim. No clue what my vert is though. Doubt it's very good, but it isn't terrible.
    you may have gotten stronger and because you now weigh less, that could be why you can grab the rim now.

if you have cleaned your diet up and began exercising, you will make gains. and if you were scarfing down too many calories in the past, then yes, you may have gained some muscle in a deficit. but in a deficit from your overeating, not from your maintenance level. there is so much at play here. did you take measurements before you started? test your body composition? how do you know you actually gained muscle? getting stronger and gaining significant muscle are 2 different things

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you're setting yourself up for failure if you think it is a realistic goal. honestly. if you want to gain real muscle mass, you need a caloric surplus. you can dial in precisely what that surplus will be (+300 calories, +500 calories, etc) but it still needs to be a surplus. and with that comes fat. if you go +200 a day, your fat gains might be minimal, but so will your muscle gains.

as for" doing it with strict paleo" I think that is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. what types of grains, seed/veggies oils and processed foods make you gain muscle without gaining fat? why do you keep coming back to this? how could eating that crap be better than eating real foods when it comes to these goals? what sort of paleo misinformation have you come across that would lead you to believe this is the case?
    its call carb back loading - eating higher glycemic carbs only after a heavy lift session - theory is the body is in a free carb zone with the carbs funneling nutrients into the muscle.

its call carb back loading - eating higher glycemic carbs only after a heavy lift session - theory is the body is in a free carb zone with the carbs funneling nutrients into the muscle.
    things like carb backloading can work. and they can be done without eating grains and other non-paleo foods. at the end of the day, you need a caloric surplus to grow any real muscle. and with that, comes some fat gain. just ask anyone who's grown any real muscle. now if you want to minimize the fat gain, that's fine. it just means you will minimize the muscle gain. all in all, it will take a lot longer, be harder to do, and be can be very frustrating because you will have very little to show for all of the hard work you are doing. that's about all there is to say about that.

Ok thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast