Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So what's the deal with almond milk? page 2

Baconoholic is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't think it's really that bad, as far as processed food goes.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenete View Post
    Define "fine"?
    I'd probably consume more accidental traces of almonds in packaged foods than what's in that stuff.
    Agree. Almond milk I make looks and feels like milk. Commercial almond milk, in comparison, tastes like milk that's been diluted by large amounts of dishwater.

Almond milk

2 oz blanched almonds
    2 cups water
    dash of salt

Soak almonds overnight in the blender jar. In the morning, blend until smooth. Put through a fine filter (like a cloth bag) or pour through a juicer to remove sediment. Add salt.

Almond cream

Use 2 ounces or more of almonds per cup of water.

Cashew milk

Cashew milk is made with raw cashews the same as almond milk, but when you blend it there is no residue to fliter out. Very easy.

Because you are not adding stabilizers, thickeners, and emulsifiers, shake before using.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    This is unsweetened Almond Breeze (Blue Diamond):

INGREDIENTS: ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CALCIUM CARBONATE, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR WITH OTHER NATURAL FLAVORS, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2 AND D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).
    Looks pretty benign.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Cashew milk sounds nice !
    Thicken it to make cashew cream / custard or something would be nice !!!

Any one fancy experiment?

From London England UK

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    My primary beef with almond milk (and soy milk and coconut milk) is that they add carragheenan into it for a thickener. I liked almond milk when it was it's normal thin, watery consistency. Plus, carragheenan isn't good for you. And I haven't been able to find any of the milk substitutes any more that don't have carragheenan, even the organic versions. Disappointing.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Why do you want do drink processed flavored soggy nut liquid? If you must drink almond milk I will agree with everyone who said to make your own with real ingredients, but it might be easier and healthier to just eat or drink something else, unless you have a specific need for almond milk.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Because it goes great with Chex gluten-free Honey Nut cereal!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would pass on it. Nuts should be consumed in moderation. Having a source of nuts that you literally just drink down it a recipe for overconsumption. Plus, what is the Omega six fatty acid breakdown of almond milk?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Get un-sweetened almond milk, and it's far better than cow's milk - unless you get grass-fed/finished and you don't have an allergy to dairy.

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
    My primary beef with almond milk (and soy milk and coconut milk) is that they add carragheenan into it for a thickener. I liked almond milk when it was it's normal thin, watery consistency. Plus, carragheenan isn't good for you. And I haven't been able to find any of the milk substitutes any more that don't have carragheenan, even the organic versions. Disappointing.
    +1
    All the "milks" out there seems to have carragheenan! I just use Nature's Forest organic canned coconut milk, and it tastes great in my coffee and a few other things I make with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12