Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice/tips from Pescatarians page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

Looking for advice/tips from Pescatarians

I am not wanting to upset anyone by this post but I am considering going lacto-ovo Pescatarian. While Primal is relatively new to me, I have been low carb, gluten-free and health conscious for a very long time. I do not think meat is bad or wrong and I do think its good for a lot of people, maybe just not good for me right now for where I am in my life.

My reasons for considering Pescatarianism are as follows:

1) I am wanting to get to higher level of spiritual development. Many people believe that eating meat stunts your spiritual development and since I have tried raw food, vegetarianism and veganism many times with disastrous results, I thought I would try this. I have heard of this working for a lot of people and know some people who are doing this with good results.

2) My finance is a pescatarian so it would be easier and better for my relationship. It would be easy for me to do it as I don't eat that much meat now.

3) I am a little scared by all the through the roof cholesterol readings that people have been posting. I have read all the reasons as to why this is fine but I still feel very nervous about it.

4) I feel AMAZING when I eat wild salmon and it is an unbelievable superfood for me. Don’t get me wrong, I do feel good when I eat a grass-fed burger, but I feel AMAZING when I eat wild salmon, particularly if it is paired with sauteed greens. When I eat too much meat, I do feel heavy and weighed down and generally feel better on lighter proteins like fish.

What I am looking for is advice from people who are actually doing this. Maybe meal ideas, recipe ideas, tips to not get bored, ways to save money, results you have gotten from doing this, whether or not it had any impact on your spiritual development, etc.

What I am NOT looking for is reasons why I shouldn’t do this or reasons why meat is good/pescatarian is bad,etc. I am well aware of the pros/cons. I totally get that a lot of people will not think this is a good idea and will not understand my reasons and that is okay. If you want to bash pescatariansim and praise meat, you can do that but please start a different thread for this. I am just not wanting this to turn into a debate or to feel attacked when I am just wanting help and advice. Thanks.

I may continue to eat meat a couple of times a month because I do get that there are nutrients in it that are needed. I plan on eating eggs (will probably switch from organic to pastured), butter, raw homemade goat yogurt, and goat cheese as well as low mercury wild fish and wild seafood. I am just doing this as an experiment for a couple of months and if it doesn’t work out, I will totally go back to eating meat. I heard that Mark’s wife is a pescetarian and if anyone knows anything about what she eats or how she does this, I would love to know as she looks great and must be doing something right.

Any helpful advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Again, sorry if I upset anyone.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    This is where Carrie Sisson describes her diet. She eats fish every day.

We go surf fishing every week, and eat fish much more than land animal meats. What is more primal than catching and eating your own food? I too feel much lighter and happier eating fish and seafood. It makes me happy, and I never feel happy after eating red meat. I've been practicing Ayurvedic modalities lately as well and not eating meat definitely feels much more grounding.

My go-to method of making white fish such as flounder is to simply cook it in unrefined CO in a cast iron skillet, with fresh lemon juice, capers, lots of dill, salt, pepper, and ghee. It's freaking delicious.

I could eat salmon every day too. My favorite side is also sauteed greens. If you want something a little more substantial, I also love wasabi and garlic mashed potatoes. It goes so well if you make your salmon with some kind of asian glaze such as ginger.

I'd love to hear more about how you're developing your spirituality.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Thanks so much for such an unbelievably helpful response. I am excited to read about Carrie Sisson's eating/exercise plan.

Wow, surf fishing sound really great. Is it hard? I haven't gone fishing since I was 12 but that might be something to re-explore.

It has never really occurred to me to eat flounder but your recipe sounds so amazing, I am going to try it.

Wild salmon with sauteed greens is definitely a power meal for me. I love your idea of having mashed potatoes with wasabi with it. Last weekend my Finance and I went camping and grilled our salmon and it was amazing. Trader Joe's has really great smoked salmon which I often get. It is perfect when you are in a hurry. At lunch, I will put it on a big salad made from organic greens and leafy sprouts from my garden.

Spiritually, I do a lot of meditation and spend a lot of time in a nature and at the beach where I feel my connection to source the strongest. I also follow the Abraham-Hicks philosophy which is all about thinking positive thoughts, how our thoughts create our reality, and reasonating higher emotions like love, joy and gratitude more of the time. I also do yoga. I am going to Mt. Shasta next weekend and will be doing a lot of meditation there.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I say go for it. Be sure to eat a wide variety of seafood. Not just fish flesh but also crustacea and molluscs. Buy whole fish and use the heads and frames to make soups and/or stocks. Fish liver is amazingly nutritious. I have a thread going on my trials of different fish livers eaten raw, but I only do this with fish that I've caught that day and I'm on the other side of the pond. The raw livers of white-fleshed sea fish taste a lot like raw oysters, but nicer
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Fishing isn't hard at all, and you get to feel the sun on your skin and you get to walk for long periods of time It's very calming, and relatively inexpensive. The water is so healing and it's wonderful to stand in. Do you do your yoga on the beach?

I have not gotten into meditation yet but it's in my plans for the near future. I start the day off with a hot water drink and a walk or yoga now (I'm just learning and can't do any of the poses correctly yet), and want to fit meditation in at that time. I will look into Abraham-Hicks, as I love everything you just told me about the philosophy! Our thoughts definitely create our reality, just as we are what we eat.

I'm having fish tacos for dinner tonight I took bluefish we caught and baked it in the oven with a glaze of CO, olives, parsley, and horseradish on it. Then when it cooled I flaked it into tiny pieces and mixed it with homemade mayo, celery, onions, and curry, and will serve it over shredded lettuce. It's a wonderful light dinner. I can't eat heavy anymore and fish is really my main protein right now.

Have a wonderful and peaceful time on Mt. Shasta!
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

Thanks for your message. I have made bone broth from chicken but never from fish. Once you make the stock, what kind of soups can you make with it? I have never tried fish liver but am open to it.

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Fishing isn't hard at all, and you get to feel the sun on your skin and you get to walk for long periods of time It's very calming, and relatively inexpensive. The water is so healing and it's wonderful to stand in. Do you do your yoga on the beach?

I have not gotten into meditation yet but it's in my plans for the near future. I start the day off with a hot water drink and a walk or yoga now (I'm just learning and can't do any of the poses correctly yet), and want to fit meditation in at that time. I will look into Abraham-Hicks, as I love everything you just told me about the philosophy! Our thoughts definitely create our reality, just as we are what we eat.

I'm having fish tacos for dinner tonight I took bluefish we caught and baked it in the oven with a glaze of CO, olives, parsley, and horseradish on it. Then when it cooled I flaked it into tiny pieces and mixed it with homemade mayo, celery, onions, and curry, and will serve it over shredded lettuce. It's a wonderful light dinner. I can't eat heavy anymore and fish is really my main protein right now.

Have a wonderful and peaceful time on Mt. Shasta!
    The surf fishing sounds great. I am going to look into it. I have done sprinting on the beach but I need to do it more. Sprinting and lifting seem to be my big downfalls on this plan. I have not done yoga on the beach but its a good idea.

I love the fish taco idea. I will have to try it. Thanks. We may have to cancel the Mt. Shasta trip as there are some fires in Oregon which are radically affecting the air quality in Mt. Shasta but I am also going for a week the first week in Sept. I still have some chicken and ground beef that I have to use up (I HATE to waste food) so I might start the full Pescatarian thing the week I go to Mt. Shasta.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    My go-to method of making white fish such as flounder is to simply cook it in unrefined CO in a cast iron skillet, with fresh lemon juice, capers, lots of dill, salt, pepper, and ghee. It's freaking delicious.
    I found some halibut at the store last month and made a lemon juice, caper, butter, dill sauce for it and it was amazing. I also love blackened fish, and I think most fish takes blackening seasoning well.

I don't really see any problem with a fishy kind of diet with crustaceons and eggs/cheese included, so long as you are getting plenty of protein and vitamins. I might throw in a steak or burger every so often if you get to craving it. I don't know that it will do anything for your spiritual development but if it makes you feel good, go for it. I eat fish and shellfish constantly when I go to the beach and it's amazing, but it would prohibitively expensive where I live because we're land locked. Local fish is ok, but not the same as ocean fish.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    I dont see why folks would have an issue with fish, it is nutritious and yummy. I find it expensive as hell is all where I live. get enough protein fats and all the rest, It does not matter what kind of animals you like eating. Just be happy with it.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Tilapia is a not half-bad fish, too. It's farmed, but unlike other farmed fish, it is a vegetarian fish that eats algae and it can be farmed in natural waterways because it will die in the winter and thus not become an invasive species. It eats invasive algae. So they use it for beneficial reasons to clean up the environment. And it's palatable.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast