Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for advice/tips from Pescatarians page 3

KT79 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    You should go for it. Seafood is very healthy, and if I lived near the coast, I'd eat it way more often. As it is, I eat canned fish (wild salmon, tuna or sardines) 3-5 days a week, and fish or seafood for dinner a few times a month (husband is not so into fish, though he loves seafood when we vacation near the ocean). Just watch your sources so you don't end up with too much mercury.

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely go for it - and I'm really glad to have read what you & others have posted. I used to be ovo-lac-pesc. of a sort but I think the other additions you talk about really have so much value for our health; meditation & spirituality. We all need that reminder.

And little vase needs to make a cookbook! I thought we weren't supposed to use acids (lemon) in cast iron but hey, if it releases the iron, great! What area of PA are you located to go surf fishing? Or is that an abbreviation for a country .... not sure.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much. Yes, LittleVase does need to make a cookbook. I am so excited to try the recipes.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    During our best fishing season (late spring to early fall) I come pretty close to being a pescatarian, I fish just about every weekend and usually have a decent haul. Its the weekends I don't have a good haul I end up eating lots of meat.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    Thanks, spk I live in PA and go to NJ every week. LBI specifically. Great fishing on the whole island!

I completely agree about the meditation and spirituality angle. I'm becoming happier every day and the less red meat I eat, the happier I feel. It's so great.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Thanks, spk I live in PA and go to NJ every week. LBI specifically. Great fishing on the whole island!

I completely agree about the meditation and spirituality angle. I'm becoming happier every day and the less red meat I eat, the happier I feel. It's so great.
    Ahhh - I see! I have family all over PA (Pitt, Phil, Balt, etc.) and wondered if you were there too.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Being a Pescatarian is very healthy, while grass-fed meats are very healthy too, you don't HAVE TO eat them. In fact, for awhile there, I was Pescatarian (not so much because I wanted to, I just wasn't craving meat).... I love clams and squid and mussels sauteed for lunch and salmon or any big thick fish fillet for dinner!

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post

I am from NJ and used to go to Long Beach Island quite often. It is a wonderful place. It must be great to go fishing there.

SuBee is offline Member

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    ... a little late to this, but I've been paleo/primal for about three years now and almost exclusively pesce-primal for the last year, or so. I still eat meat sometimes and do eat offals weekly.

My strategy is to eat a variety of white fish and oily fish. I'm blessed to have a great source of North Atlantic fish: pollock, cod, haddock, coley, halibut, salmon; Baltic: salmon, herring, sild; then the abundance of river fish: perch, hake and trout.

I swing by the farm shop and pick up a bunch of veggies, then the fishmonger for whatever is available, the supermarket for the bargains and we're set ... my local 'Chippie' also does about 3Kg of tails and scraps for 1 which is what the cats now eat. Don't neglect sea and clifftop vegetables, nor shellfish. Scallops, prawns, oysters ... all good.

In over a year, I've not eaten the same meal twice. Enormous variety is there to be had.

Eggs. Every day.

Dairy. I settled on goat and A2 type cow milk when I can find it raw. Cheese of all types is in, for me, cream and cream cheese. We eat Panna Cotta and Cheesecake a lot.

So that's me: lacto-ovo-pesce-primal.

I run a food blog if you want some ideas: Living in the Ice Age ... where I list me reasons for what I call "paleo+" here: Living in the Ice Age: What is Paleo+? and me reasons for going fishy here: Living in the Ice Age: Living in the Ice Age 2.0?

... there is more to it, though. I abhor the practice of mechanised religious slaughter. I see captive bolt as the best method, but cannot be sure that they are applied in all religious slaughter practices, nor whether the meat that is not listed as religious actually is.

All meat is well tracked here in the UK, so I can look up the farmer and abattoir codes but it's not really practical at the point of purchase. So, I largely gave up meat.

Best of luck on your pesce-primal journey. I stress the primal part, since the primal approach is the key. I also found the "meat, meat and more meat" and "fat, fat and more fat" thing can easily be overdone. I think fish is better balanced for protein and fats than cuts of meat. When we eat a fish, we eat it all ... or at least most of it. Large animals are eaten as parts, and so the mass of muscle meat is often bereft of the fullness that we get from fish.

I do still "wet up" my meals with fat if it looks light, otherwise, work in an avocado for the extra fatty energy.

If fish, shellfish, eggs, some dairy and veggies are the materials, make Primal the brush and you'll have a wonderful picture.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123