Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice/tips from Pescatarians page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Tilapia is a not half-bad fish, too. It's farmed, but unlike other farmed fish, it is a vegetarian fish that eats algae and it can be farmed in natural waterways because it will die in the winter and thus not become an invasive species. It eats invasive algae. So they use it for beneficial reasons to clean up the environment. And it's palatable.
    Thanks for that info SB. I had given up eating tilapia when I saw it was all farmed. Did not know about it eating algae. I like tilapia with some cajun seasoning.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Tilapia is a not half-bad fish, too. It's farmed, but unlike other farmed fish, it is a vegetarian fish that eats algae and it can be farmed in natural waterways because it will die in the winter and thus not become an invasive species. It eats invasive algae. So they use it for beneficial reasons to clean up the environment. And it's palatable.
    Thanks so much for letting me know this. I had sworn off all farmed fish but will check into this one. I would imagine it is probably less expensive than wild fish also.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    I had not heard this about Tilapia, however I have heard that it is used in fish farming operations to clean up the leftover waste (fish poo and leftover GMO feed) in the tanks after other, more desirable fish are harvested. The Tilapia is then also sold for meat. It also does not have as good of an omega 3 ratio as other fish.

If there are cleanly and sustainably raised sources of Tilapia it might be worth looking into as I suspect this would improve the nutrition of the meat, but I don't think that we can assume that any Tilapia is a clean, healthy fish.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    Good points.

RedMenace is offline Senior Member
    My partner is Pescatarian for a number of reasons that preclude him from being a meat eater (one being he doesn't like the taste of meat). However, over the couple years I've been paleo, and watching the transition I and my health have gone through, he's adjusting his diet more and more to be like mine in pretty significant ways.

He now only eats Quinoa and wild rices as grains. Usually made in a rice cooker with kale, seasonal veg and spices, with sardines, salmon, or tuna added after. Maybe some pastured butter or ghee. He also eats much more roasted veggies with a side of fish or eggs (from happy chickens) as a typical meal.

His carbs come from 1-3 meals a week including quinoa or rice, bananas, and various potatoes. It used to be that he pretty much subsisted on mac and cheese (with broccoli in, if he was feeling super fancy.) and tofu.

His body went from the typical ex-distance-runner's fare, (skinny with a wheat belly) to more triangular.

So, it can be done, if you feel like it needs to. Good luck!
    Prions are natures way of telling us that cannibalism is for losers.

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36522.html

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    Thanks for your message. I have made bone broth from chicken but never from fish. Once you make the stock, what kind of soups can you make with it? I have never tried fish liver but am open to it.
    You can add a wide variety of vegetables and seasonings to a basic stock to make soup. Just a matter of playing with recipes. I usually use fish stock to add a bit of flavour and nutrition to casseroles, but you won't be making those
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

w0gwnth is offline Member
    hi, ive bee a pescetarian for quite awhile and i do feel very good on it. im not gonna get into the details about my diet right now because its a work in progress and im still making additions lately. i get the tillapia from the store because its the only fish id be able to really afford on a regular basis. its pretty spendy still though i just stick to one bowl per day loaded with medicinal foods like turmeric, onion, garlic and red pepper. i used to douse it in sunflower oil but i recently switched to butter. i have added lots of saturated fats in my diet lately due to some of the advice on people on this forum... and i was also concerned about my cholesterol levels. you said that people on this forum have been posting ridiculously high personal cholesterol levels... can you tell me about that?

but yes you should definitely be pescetarian, it arguably is the most healthy diet on the planet. just do research on third world countries and communities who live on fish, supposedly they have excellent health and life spans.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    w0gwnth, here are a few of the posts about members getting high cholesterol readings after being Primal.

Quote Originally Posted by w0gwnth View Post
    i just stick to one bowl per day loaded with medicinal foods like turmeric, onion, garlic and red pepper.
    Yum. You just named four of my favorite things. I adore turmeric.
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012

jilly is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad I saw this thread, I have been struggling with a similar feeling! My husband loves beef and would eat steak or a beef patty for every meal. I feel that I can only tolerate beef/heavy protein once in a blue moon, even though I try! I just can't get past the first few bites and then feel like I can't eat anymore. It's a hard feeling to explain, but when I eat fish I feel like its lighter, tastes better, and easier to cook. I have been struggling with this because I love the primal WOE and desperately wanted to fit in by being a steak eater! lol But seeing your post made me realize that others might feel the same as me and might enjoy fish as opposed to beef. I can't really stand chicken unless the skin is still in tact, even then its dry and tasteless. So if I don't eat chicken or beef, fish is my only other option! I do love bacon, eggs, sausage... most breakfast food But really just can't get past my recent distaste for beef. Don't feel that you are alone! Someone already mentioned to eat a variety... shrimp and crab are two of my favs, and I love salmon as well! And lobster when I can afford it I just am sure to eat lots of CO, butter, and avocado to get my fats in and I feel great!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I would go ovo-lacto-peskatarian if I did not have to feed my family. The temptation to eat meat is too great as it comes fresh out of the oven/sow-cooker or off the fire. And, I love chicken and beef stocks. Lol, i know, I love food too much & that's my biggest problem.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast