Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your top 3 rules for getting in shape? page

canuck416 is offline Senior Member

What are your top 3 rules for getting in shape?

Shop Now
    My Top 3 Rules for Getting in Shape - During this last year on the Paleo/Primal diet I have been experimenting with a variety of training programs and getting great results. Here is what I've learned:

Lifting Weights is King - Lifting builds muscle, muscle burns fat, muscle ups your metabolism, increases testosterone (yes this is also important for women) and HGH.

Nutrition is Queen - You all know this, you can't get into shape eating twinkies, soda’s, and McDonalds all day. For me eating high fat, high-medium protein, and low to medium carb is the best route. Fat is essential for building testosterone, testosterone is essential for building muscle. Eat organic, local, pastured and free range to avoid toxins as much as possible. Get your carbs from starchy tubers and fruits not grains. Intermittent fast (skip breakfast, eat your first meal at noon) 3 days a week.

Cardio is Prince - Avoid chronic cardio and focus on interval training twice a week - intense physical exertion with periods of rest. Endless miles of jogging is actually counterproductive to overall conditioning, lowers testosterone, causes continuous systemic inflammation, severely suppresses other parts of your immune system and the increased oxidative damage will slowly tear apart your precious muscle and joint tissue.

I am healthier, leaner and better overall conditioned at 61 than anytime since my 30s. These rules worked for me and I believe they will work for most everyone.

Looking forward to hearing what your guiding fitness principles are...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    My only rule is "Don't get injured". At my age and for my body there is little to be gained from pushing hard and much to be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    My only rule is "Don't get injured". At my age and for my body there is little to be gained from pushing hard and much to be lost.
    Good point, really knowing your body and learning when to back off or push is incredibly important. I haven't been injured in a long time because I've learned how to periodize my training and that rest is as important as the exercise.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Good nutrition, sleep and consistency.

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    I can't really disagree with any of your rules. They're all completely accurate. I guess my three would be:

1. Know what your goals are.
    2. Have a plan to achieve them.
    3. Execute.

I've found that if I have the big picture clear in my mind, all the small stuff will fall into place.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    In order of importance:

1. Though shalt not injure thyself in attempt to improve thyself
    2. Though shalt not injure thyself in attempt to improve thyself
    3. Though shalt not injure thyself in attempt to improve thyself

Usually these three rules (as easy as they seem) require a lot of assistance. Form, frequency, intensity, recovery.... I've broken all the rules and have the beat up joints and torn tendons to prove it. Unless your gonna get pain (freudian slip.... meant paid ) the big bucks to do something professionally think about your future longevity and self reliance. Hire someone if you don't know how to do something. Do your deloads, strategic deconditioning, and high rep weeks. Eat and rest as required. Some of these are intuitive and some may require professional guidance depending on how high your performance goals are. If your goals end at fit and healthy then there is absolutely NO reason you should ever have to break the above rules and you should be able to reach your goals without much professional intervention as long as you are google savy.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-04-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    1. Be consistent with quality training.
    2. Don't eat crap.
    3. Enjoy the ride.

Sent via A-10 Warthog

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    1. Use our gift of reasoning powers frequently.
    2. Be acutely aware of fleeting nature everything.
    Few but ripe.

miata is online now Senior Member
    1. Avoid Injury (start easy, warm-up, perfect form and work on mobility)
    2. Efficient Exercise:
    a) High intensity compound joint exercises and
    b) Core: planks, Myotatic crunch, cat vomit, etc. (no sit-ups!)
    3. Recovery (3 days of rest and lots of sleep)

I started off doing too much weight with low reps and injured my shoulders. I wished I would have started a little easier. I'm sure that bad form contributed as well.

I sense a common "avoid injury" theme. Kind of the antithesis to the Crossfit gang who wear their injuries like a badge of honor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast