Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are folks been doing assistance routines to improve sprinting? page

miata is online now Senior Member

Are folks been doing assistance routines to improve sprinting?

Shop Now
    I've been reading about various mobility and strength training routines for improving sprinting. For example there are a lot of hip mobility exercises a la "Supple as a Leopard." There are also things like squats, lunges, hamstring extensions, reverse hyperextensions, etc that can be employed to improve performance. One of the critical things seems to be glute activation exercises to wake up those muscles that have become dormant after many years of sitting too much.

What are other folks doing to assist sprint performance?

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I've been reading about various mobility and strength training routines for improving sprinting. For example there are a lot of hip mobility exercises a la "Supple as a Leopard." There are also things like squats, lunges, hamstring extensions, reverse hyperextensions, etc that can be employed to improve performance. One of the critical things seems to be glute activation exercises to wake up those muscles that have become dormant after many years of sitting too much.

What are other folks doing to assist sprint performance?
    Well for me I never just sprint. I also lift weight 2 or 3x a week. I do mainly compound movements such as squats and deadlift. I also try to spend time to do some stretching on my own and in addition I get massages once a month to loosen up some tightness on my back and legs.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    The number one thing you can do to sprint faster is improve your jumping ability. Plyos, box jumps, etc.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Something I've been doing recently is a set of 10 squats with 225 lbs. (use whatever weight you can handle) followed immediately by 1 minute of squat jumps (repeat the following as many times as you can in a minute - go into a deep squat and then jump as high as you can moving your arms from your side to over your head as you jump). Makes the legs a little rubbery!
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-04-2013 at 07:04 PM.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    Part of my pre-warmup for running days is some kettlebell swings just before a few minutes of jump rope work.

Here is a quote from study results for kettlebell swings with a mention of sprints (its a bit far into the article):

"Kettlebell swings produced more horizontal forces than the jump squats. Therefore, where power is being trained with a view to transfer to horizontal movements, such as sprinting, kettlebell swings may be superior to jump squats."

Here is the link to the full article: Can kettlebells help develop power for sprinting?.

Quote Originally Posted by kansas-klx View Post
    Part of my pre-warmup for running days is some kettlebell swings just before a few minutes of jump rope work.

Here is a quote from study results for kettlebell swings with a mention of sprints (its a bit far into the article):

"Kettlebell swings produced more horizontal forces than the jump squats. Therefore, where power is being trained with a view to transfer to horizontal movements, such as sprinting, kettlebell swings may be superior to jump squats."

Here is the link to the full article: Can kettlebells help develop power for sprinting?.
    This is a new one to me. Does your direct experience indicate that the kettlebell swing improves sprinting? The research article seemed a little theoretical.

I started doing simple kettle bell swings and really liked them -- before I trashed my shoulder joint.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Something I've been doing recently is a set of 10 squats with 225 lbs. (use whatever weight you can handle) followed immediately by 1 minute of squat jumps (repeat the following as many times as you can in a minute - go into a deep squat and then jump as high as you can moving your arms from your side to over your head as you jump). Makes the legs a little rubbery!
    Do you feel like this routine is directly contributing to improved sprinting? Sounds really intense.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    ...Does your direct experience indicate that the kettlebell swing improves sprinting? The research article seemed a little theoretical...
    Honestly, its difficult to say. I am improving, but at only a few weeks into PB would likely have shown improvement without the KB swings. I like them because they are a great ballistic exercise that hit my hams/glutes just right in preparation for the main sprint sessions. Have to be careful not to overcook myself with KB swings because I usually don't feel the heaviness of the effort until after I stop and find myself having to catch my breath. I find that lighter weight and faster swings is better for me, personally.

A Google search with "kettlebell swings sprinting" yields up more stuff than I have time to read...

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Do you feel like this routine is directly contributing to improved sprinting? Sounds really intense.
    Yes, great combination of strength and power. It is definitely an intense HIIT workout, should be limited to 1 or possibly 2 times per week (depending on your current level of fitness). Start with one set and add a set every two weeks until you build up to 6 sets. The first time you try to do 1 minute of squat jumps you will probably not be able to keep jumping through the full minute, don't get discouraged you will adapt.
    Last edited by canuck416; 08-05-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kansas-klx View Post
    Honestly, its difficult to say. I am improving, but at only a few weeks into PB would likely have shown improvement without the KB swings. I like them because they are a great ballistic exercise that hit my hams/glutes just right in preparation for the main sprint sessions. Have to be careful not to overcook myself with KB swings because I usually don't feel the heaviness of the effort until after I stop and find myself having to catch my breath. I find that lighter weight and faster swings is better for me, personally.

A Google search with "kettlebell swings sprinting" yields up more stuff than I have time to read...
    I really got into these -- doing 2 sets of 25. I couldn't believe how much I was huffing and puffing towards the end of each set. I definitely want to do these swings at least once a week. Improving my sprinting would be a bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast