Thread: How Nutrition Affects The Breakdown Of Fats page

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member

How Nutrition Affects The Breakdown Of Fats

Primal Fuel
    Science daily article. Very Interesting

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0917144905.htm

ScienceDaily (Sep. 23, 2007) Scientists have shown that when either lean or obese individuals exercise after eating a high fat meal, their fats are broken down and oxidized in skeletal muscle, making them healthier. These results show for the first time how a high fat diet and exercise stimulate the breakdown of fats and may help design ways to reduce excessive fat in the body.

Fat is broken down inside fat cells to generate energy by a process called lipolysis. The resulting fatty acids are released into the bloodstream and carried to tissues that require energy. In obese individuals, too much fat accumulates, compromising lipolysis, but the details of how this happens are not well understood. Also, obese individuals can show altered responsiveness to the stress hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine in their subcutaneous fat.

Max Lafontan and colleagues investigated how fat is broken down in both lean and obese subjects who exercised after either fasting or eating a high-fat diet. They noticed that after eating a high-fat diet, fats were broken down in both lean and obese individuals. Under fasting conditions, the breakdown of fats was more pronounced in the lean subjects, but the high fat meal enhanced lipolysis in the obese subjects.

The scientists also studied the effects of long-chain fatty acids (LCFAs) -- which are found in high fat diet -- on cultured fat cells. They noticed that LCFAs increase lipolysis when it is induced by epinephrine, one of the hormones known to stimulate lipolysis.

By showing for the first time how a high fat diet and LCFAs affect hormone-induced lipolysis in fat cells, this study paves the way for further research on the role of various fatty acids on the metabolism of muscle and blood vessel cells, the researchers conclude.

Article: "Acute exposure to long-chain fatty acids impairs alpha2-adrenergic receptor-mediated antilipolysis in human adipose tissue," by Jan Polak, Cedric Moro, David Bessiere, Jindra Hejnova, Marie A. Marques, Magda Bajzova, Max Lafontan, Francois Crampes, Michel Berlan, and Vladimir Stich

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    interesting! Fat fat fat fat!!!!!
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Neat-o. And here I was thinking that the only reason why high fat works for weight loss is decreasing the need for carbohydrate and alleviating the symptoms of insulin and leptin resistance. I've kind of always suspected that fats were highly functional and this is another piece of the puzzle. Great thread.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

hannahc is offline Senior Member
    Sweet, so my extra walking after dinner is burning extra fat Love it.
    You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    thanks so much for explaining this too! I'm so interested in learning how all this works, but I didn't even do biology in highschool so I struggle to get my mind around it sometimes!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    I think its really helpful too, as these processes at the molecular level tend to be very complex, and the more knowledge we have about them, and how these macronutrients work, the better we will be able to live. I think the hardest thing for people to understand is that sat. fat is not bad for you. I've really been immersed in low-fat thinking for my entire life, so its nice to have even more to say on the subject. At the moment I'm kind of being a primal advisor to my boyfriend's low carb transition, and I need to be able to succesfully explain why he needs to eat that extra slice of bacon or tablespoon of butter, besides just saying "fat is good!"
    glad yall liked it!

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    I think its really helpful too, as these processes at the molecular level tend to be very complex, and the more knowledge we have about them, and how these macronutrients work, the better we will be able to live. I think the hardest thing for people to understand is that sat. fat is not bad for you. I've really been immersed in low-fat thinking for my entire life, so its nice to have even more to say on the subject. At the moment I'm kind of being a primal advisor to my boyfriend's low carb transition, and I need to be able to succesfully explain why he needs to eat that extra slice of bacon or tablespoon of butter, besides just saying "fat is good!"
    glad yall liked it!
    yeah, i wish i could just say that, and change people's minds -__-
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this, will bookmark and digest (hur hur) later