Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Being alive, not just 'living' (Hippychick) page 2

Hippychick is offline Junior Member
    Thank you, I enjoy lemon in water as a drink so might drink it more often maybe with a spoonful of Manuka honey in too.

Yesterday I had a slight fail and had a few gulps of diet coke, I used to guzzle the stuff but recently cut it out, my word it tasted awful. I'm not even going to look at the list of chemicals in it, moving on...

My organic bones are arriving today, along with lots of meat, fruit and veg I just need amazon to get a shift on and deliver my crock pot so that I can make bone broth.

I forgot to mention in my original post that last week I saw my surgeon in a post op appointment for my hip. My hip is now great, no concerns there but I mentioned to him my opposite knee is causing me trouble, basically I can't straighten it, I'm attempting to with exercise but its not really happening, anyway he took a look, wasn't happy and sent me for some x rays. Turns out the joint is shot, no cartilage left and needs replacing. However I'm not in pain so he's left it up to me to decide what to do. I can go on the waiting list today (on the nhs here you can wait up to 18 weeks for surgery) or I can hold off until I feel I need it then if I'm in a lot of pain he will bump me up the list as emergency.

I'm inclined to wait it out because once the knees been replaced it'll need doing every 15-20 years, I'm 33 so that's a lot of surgeries potentially. My physiotherapist seems to think I can straighten the knee eventually through continued exercise. I'm also wondering if bone broth will help me regenerate the joint slightly? I've got nothing to lose really have I!

My bone broth is cooking away, it smells lovely a bit like beef casserole. It should be finished this afternoon so I will try a cup then and save the rest for this week.

I have high hopes for this stuff!

Last night we ate organic pork belly slices cooked straight on the BBQ my word they were delicious. I definitely think my taste buds are coming back.

Hubby is out for a massive cycle ride this am so I'm thinking of taking little lady out for a walk in her stroller.

I think plan for dinner tonight is salmon steaks, probably brushed in olive oil and thrown on the BBQ again

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Hi, just to say cutting out nightshades also cured knee inflammation I'd suffered from since a boy - I know there are different types of RA, but its always worth trying, the chances are it will do some good

Thanks Owen, I'm going to cut down on things gradually I think, my problem is if I go all out and chop out everything 'bad' at once I end up failing after a day or two.

I'm going to cut out dairy from tomorrow for a week or two then I'm going to cut nightshades altogether and see if I feel better.

I know this is going to be a slow process for me but I have a feeling it'll be worth it.

I've just planned my meals for the week, trying to get a little more creative than simple steaks and veggies.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You can use those same bones for a second round of bone broth. Make sure to add a little ACV to the water and let it go again. It won't be as rich as the first round, but still really good for you.
    Also, when you do cut out the nightshades, be sure to use lots of black pepper for the hot pepper spicy flavor. If you don't use turmeric, try it. It is also a great for inflammation. You can also take curcumin which is the active ingredient in turmeric.

Just seen this mud flinger, unfortunately the bones are long gone but I'll remember for next time, thank you.

The broth was quite nice actually, it could have done with some salt though so I think I'll add it the portions when I reheat them. I have frozen 8 more portions so not a bad yield really

Thanks for the tip with the pepper and turmeric.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear you are doing well so far. Yes, we are on the same drug. Kind of crazy since it is not that commonly used. I just met with my Rheumatologist this week and he wants to start tapering me off the actemra over the course of the next year. He thinks I might be in a true remission.

I'm pretty excited, but at the same time, it will eliminate my ability to cheat on the autoimmune diet. So it's going to require toughening up my willpower even more

There is an autoimmune paleo cookbook that I'm thinking of purchasing. I'll let you know if it is worth it.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

How wonderful to be in absolute remission jammies. Your comment has given me something to truly aspire too

Sorry I've been AWOL for a couple of days it's been a bit manic at home and I've been feeling a but tired, not sure if its a touch of the carb flu, I'm still persevering, had 1 slip up though which I feel bad about. I took DD to a wildlife park but failed to pack lunch because I hadn't done a grocery shop. Into the cafe and all they had was sandwiches, not a salad in sight I was that hungry I had a sandwich. Oh well onwards and upwards I suppose.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippychick View Post
    How wonderful to be in absolute remission jammies. Your comment has given me something to truly aspire too

Sorry I've been AWOL for a couple of days it's been a bit manic at home and I've been feeling a but tired, not sure if its a touch of the carb flu, I'm still persevering, had 1 slip up though which I feel bad about. I took DD to a wildlife park but failed to pack lunch because I hadn't done a grocery shop. Into the cafe and all they had was sandwiches, not a salad in sight I was that hungry I had a sandwich. Oh well onwards and upwards I suppose.
    I've never been perfect on this diet. I do my best, but I do NOT beat myself up for the slip-ups. You're eating this way for life, and there is just no way to never eat another sandwich again.

I do have one rule that helps me. I never eat two non-paleo meals in a row. That way I can't "spiral" down in to eating all bad again.

At some point, when you get the hang of things, you may want to consider testing your food sensitivities the opposite way your are doing it now. You eliminate them all at once for a month or so, and then add them in one at a time to see what happens. I only suggest that because I (unfortunately) found several foods that were a problem. Annoying, but very good to know.

But don't pressure yourself now. Just get some momentum on paleo and get through the carb flu.

Hope you're feeling well!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Kikiperpie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Jammies, am reading your journal with interest as my sister suffer from RA as a side effect of her Crohn's disease and I have a friend whose DD has suffered with it since she was born. It sounds like you are doing fantastically well. I'm going to consider making some bone broth myself after your comments on it. As I'm only new to PB myself I don't feel like I have the authority to push this way of eating on my sister just yet, but give me a couple of months and I just might, hopefully armed with your success story!
    I'm not saying lets kill all the stupid people in the world, I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast