Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratio for losing body fat page 9

Timthetaco Guest
    I don't disagree about high FBG in low carbers. I thought you meant it was a useful marker otherwise.

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCarr10760 View Post
    Aren't six packs all about BF %? We all have the muscles. Just can't see them. Have you had your BF% accurately calculated?
    We all have biceps too but often they are underdeveloped.

Yes low BF is the key to seeing what we have.

From the pic he may be above 15% ( not bad), but probably need to get to closer to 10% to start to see anything.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    You like those articles do ya? Just saying, they tend to support my assertions.

"So, if you eat a low-carb diet and have borderline high FBG (i.e. 90-105), it may not be cause for concern. Your post-meal blood sugars and A1c levels are more important." -your source says
    You're mincing words. I specifically said that metabolic syndrome is multifaceted. Kresser's article is good because he shows that insulin sensitivity has to be measured through more than one means. He chooses three means - three will give you a better picture than one. A high fasting BG is not necessarily a cause for concern if you other markers are normal, but a low carber is more likely to have issues since carbohydrate-restriction reduces insulin sensitivity.

Facts is facts I'm afraid. The data simply states that HbA1c lower than 5 is amazing. It doesn't have to be the only test you get, but its darn good to add to the list IMO.
    My fasting BG is 75 and my A1c is 4.6 last time I got it checked. All improved markedly after I stopped doing LC.

It's totally great to use more than one marker, but I disagree with you and your girlfriend. A1C is vital knowledge as it gives you an indication of how your body has handled glucose over the past 2-3 month period. Its a look at your overall strategy in terms of averages rather than a snapshot in time.
    I can't tell if your statement shows your ignorance or your agenda. A1c is the most easily manipulated marker. You can drop A1c drastically simply by limiting carbs for a few days or weeks. You can't recover from metabolic syndrome in 2 weeks, but you can "fix" your A1c. It is a BS marker and means very little unless you're already diabetic. It tends to look good in people on LC diets, so that's why I'm guessing you're promoting it. Unfortunately, A1c doesn't show insulin sensitivity like fasting BG does.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 08-10-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You're mincing words. I specifically said that metabolic syndrome is multifaceted. Kresser's article is good because he shows that insulin sensitivity has to be measured through more than one means. He chooses three means - three will give you a better picture than one. A high fasting BG is not necessarily a cause for concern if you other markers are normal, but a low carber is more likely to have issues since carbohydrate-restriction reduces insulin sensitivity.

My fasting BG is 75 and my A1c is 4.6 last time I got it checked. All improved markedly after I stopped doing LC.

I can't tell if your statement shows your ignorance or your agenda. A1c is the most easily manipulated marker. You can drop A1c drastically simply by limiting carbs for a few days or weeks. You can't recover from metabolic syndrome in 2 weeks, but you can "fix" your A1c. It is a BS marker and means very little unless you're already diabetic. It tends to look good in people on LC diets, so that's why I'm guessing you're promoting it. Unfortunately, A1c doesn't show insulin sensitivity like fasting BG does.
    I wasn't mincing words. You told me how crummy a marker A1c was even for a low carber. Your article disagrees with your assertion and says its useful. That is the context within which we where talking.

Really? A1c can be "fixed" by lowering carbs for just a few days? I actually did not know that .... so no it was not part of my agenda. Do you have a cite for it? I'd like to follow up if I could. As far as metabolic syndrome... well its a diagnosis with 5 criteria of which the diagnostician usually will make sure you meet 3 of to get said diagnosis. Those 5 criteria are very much related to or because of insulin resistance.

I still think your intentionally missing the point when it comes to muscular/physiological insulin resistance in a low carber and I'm almost certain that this is due to your agenda. Its just a poor argument for anybody with half a brain and any previous knowledge in the paleo/primal community to make. So I can only assume its your agenda. Either way I'm glad your A1c and FG are right on. I don't like to beat the *your a young guy* drum, but seriously at your age and activity level you could be drinking like a fish and pounding skittles and still have fare markers.....Hell, I'm 35 and consider myself too young to put stock in "perfect" tests right now. What I mean is you really gotta screw up big time to see it on a lab test at your age.

As to the last paragraph, I said it was only one marker and later in repsponse to timthetaco linked the study that showed an EXACTLY linear progression of increased mortality from the less than 5% group through the greater than 7% group. PRECICELY linear. Thats simply astounding to me. Now.... the caveat... This was in the age group I mentioned... over 40 years of age. So does it mean a damn thing to you right now? Probably not, but personally I don't think you or me are going to die of a chronic degenerative condition in the next 10 years anyhow...these are markers to know for people at risk.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-10-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    I think the problem is that you need a traveling personal trainer to keep you in line on your journey and play wing man when needed. I will send you my email address...
    I think the problem is you're bored and "attain six pack" is just another thing on the list below "master salsa" and as soon as you get that six pack you'll be on to the next item on the list, never to be seen here again...
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    I think the problem is you're bored and "attain six pack" is just another thing on the list below "master salsa" and as soon as you get that six pack you'll be on to the next item on the list, never to be seen here again...
    Yeah, unless your a body builder I've never understood the "attain six pack" sort of goal..... seriously why? It won't make you healthier... your not even likely to get laid more just cause of it. Trust me. I've had em. But they were part of having to cut weight for a combat sport (wrestling)... my frequency of getting lucky was about the same in season (with abs) as it was out of season. So why? Cause Cosmo says so? Seriously, that's what it is....its ridiculous Hollywooding bullshit. Get over it..... let me just add the obligatory "IMO"....if your ego needs a six pack by all means rock it bro.

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Hello from Croatia ;-)

I'm hiring Borge Fagerli.

Why six pack? It's about the look, as I said pick up is one of my main hobbies and I'm sad to report that girls are as shallow as men, so it will make my work easier ;-)

But seriously its more of a challenge, just like the pilot course and everything else in my list. I'm on a cruise now with my family, I feel pretty good restraining at the rediculous huge buffet every meal.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Hey, man, I say if you want a six-pack go for it. I'm one of the lucky genetic freaks whose default body setting is "abs" no matter what I do--I just get varying degrees of ab shreddedness depending on how hard I dial in nutrition and workouts. I won't fault someone for wanting to do it as a personal challenge, unless they're doing crazy stupid/unhealthy stuff.

Let us know what works for you; this stuff is interesting.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I have abs, but it comes with visible ribs, and chicken arms. Trust me, no one really gives a shit.
    nihil

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Trust me on this one, girls give a crap if you have abs + good musculature.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast