Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 121

Thread: Ratio for losing body fat page 8

  1. #71
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    No no no.... check a low carber's A1C my friend. THAT is THE test in this arena, and even with physiological resistance to maximize your glucose usage by brain and organ (that IS the type we speak of)...low carbers have excellent A1C markers for the most part!
    Yeah, Choco please stop banging on that long debunked drum about LC causing insulin resistance. As has been pointed out to you. Repeatedly. There is a difference between physiological insulin resistance and pathological insulin resistance. The physiological kind is an adaptation to shift the glucose to where it is needed most. The pathological kind is the kind you get by raising your insulin too high too often for too many years.

    And yes, Mark does go into metabolic syndrome in the book.

  2. #72
    Black Timber's Avatar
    Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I've never seen Mark make the claim that carbohydrate consumption causes metabolic syndrome. What is absolute fact is that carbohydrate avoidance causes insulin resistance, whereas carbohydrate consumption increases insulin sensitivity. Carbohydrate is protective against metabolic syndrome because it exercises the pathways that oxidize sugars as fuel. Fatty acid oxidation blocks these pathways.

    "In 2005–2008, based on fasting glucose or A1C levels, 35 percent of U.S. adults ages 20 years or older had prediabetes—50 percent of those ages 65 years or older. Applying this percentage to the entire U.S. population in 2010 yields an estimated 79 million Americans ages 20 years or older with prediabetes."

    The typical American diet is 50% carbohydrate. The facts do not support your "facts".
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

  3. #73
    ChocoTaco369's Avatar
    ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Narberth, PA
    Posts
    5,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, Choco please stop banging on that long debunked drum about LC causing insulin resistance. As has been pointed out to you. Repeatedly. There is a difference between physiological insulin resistance and pathological insulin resistance. The physiological kind is an adaptation to shift the glucose to where it is needed most. The pathological kind is the kind you get by raising your insulin too high too often for too many years.

    And yes, Mark does go into metabolic syndrome in the book.
    Insulin resistance is not "metabolic syndrome." That is like calling high cholesterol "heart disease." So right away, your entire statement is a straw man.

    Now that we've established your post is a fallacy, I'll continue to beat the drum that low carbohydrate dieting causes insulin resistance - because it is a natural reaction to low carbohydrate dieting. Your body preferentially burns glucose when available, so when it is restricted, in order to more efficiently burn free fatty acids (a less efficient source of fuel than sugar), the body has to adapt by becoming resistant to insulin. Why? Because insulin flows throughout the body at all times, and insulin is indirectly proportional to fatty acid oxidation - the higher the insulin, the less FFA's you oxidize and vice versa. Since insulin doesn't drop below baseline, in order to ramp up FFA oxidation to accommodate for a lack of glucose, a more efficient ATP source, the body becomes...

    ...insulin resistant.

    The insulin levels inside the body remain constant, you just become resistant to them to increase FFA oxidation. That's how it works.

    Mark goes into metabolic syndrome in the book. Mark never says the cause is carbohydrate. If Mark were to ever make that statement, he'd be wrong. In addition, Mark has stated that some of the things written in The Primal Blueprint he no longer believes himself. 3 years ago, Mark was much more into crazy talk like "metabolic advantage," and even threw around the phrase "It's all about insulin." He is now much more calorie-minded, and is much more relaxed in his approach (as indicated in "Primal Cravings")...his last post even stated pizza is okay every now and then for non-celiacs. His "Primal Cravings" book has nearly completely eliminated nuts, completed eliminated nut meals and now uses coconut and tapioca flours. It's almost like he's been following my posts, huh? I'm proud to be ahead of the Primal Blueprint curve
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

  4. #74
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,633
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    My girlfriend is a physician assistant. A1c is probably the least telling test for glucose tolerance. You can drastically change your A1c in mere weeks through simple dietary changes.

    Chris Kresser's articles are often hit-or-miss, but does a pretty good job in this two-part series:

    When your “normal” blood sugar isn’t normal (Part 1)
    Why your

    I put more stock in fasting blood glucose, and most importantly of all - when you DO spike your blood glucose, the rate it returns to normal. The most important marker is how quickly blood glucose returns to baseline after a significant spike, and low-carbers perform poorly in both these areas because they are physiologically insulin resistant.
    You like those articles do ya? Just saying, they tend to support my assertions.

    "So, if you eat a low-carb diet and have borderline high FBG (i.e. 90-105), it may not be cause for concern. Your post-meal blood sugars and A1c levels are more important." -your source says

    It's totally great to use more than one marker, but I disagree with you and your girlfriend. A1C is vital knowledge as it gives you an indication of how your body has handled glucose over the past 2-3 month period. Its a look at your overall strategy in terms of averages rather than a snapshot in time.

    I'm sure the results can be manipulated and/or coerced by comorbidities like dehydration or anemia, but thats all part of taking a complete patient history and doing a comprehensive evaluation. Easily enough to correct for when you know what you should know.

    Facts is facts I'm afraid. The data simply states that HbA1c lower than 5 is amazing. It doesn't have to be the only test you get, but its darn good to add to the list IMO.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-09-2013 at 01:16 PM.

  5. #75
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    I did not say that insulin resistance=metabolic syndrome so right away you are putting words in my mouth and fighting strawmen.

    Those were responses to two of your posts, one going on about how LC "causes insulin resistance" and the other about how Mark never said excess carbs cause metabolic syndrome.

    I'm sorry if I didn't spell that out clearly enough and it moved too fast for you.

  6. #76
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,633
    "How is metabolic syndrome diagnosed?

    To diagnose metabolic syndrome, most doctors look for the presence of three or more of these components:

    Central or abdominal obesity (measured by waist circumference):
    Men - Greater than 40 inches
    Women - Greater than 35 inches
    Fasting blood triglycerides greater than or equal to 150 milligrams per deciliter of blood (mg/dL)
    Blood HDL cholesterol:
    Men - Less than 40 mg/dL
    Women - Less than 50 mg/dL
    Blood pressure greater than or equal to 130/85 millimeters of mercury (mmHg)
    Fasting glucose greater than or equal to 100 mg/dL"

    Not that metabolic syndrome = insulin resistance......... but, I am seeing a pattern here..... Hmmmmmm. Might they be distant cousins twice removed on your uncles side?

    And no PB never even came close to saying they were the same thing so I don't understand the springboard rant on it in any case.

    Syndromes of insulin resistance include:
     Obesity
     Glucose intolerance
     Metabolic syndrome (syndrome X/Dysmetabolic syndrome)
     Diabetes
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-09-2013 at 01:44 PM.

  7. #77
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,633
    Uh oh! We are fast approaching the 10 page cut off rule!

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread92242.html

  8. #78
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    And no PB never even came close to saying they were the same thing so I don't understand the springboard rant on it in any case.
    Hah! "Springboard rant". Good way to put it. Actually it was just a way of finding something else to argue about while conveniently ignoring the part where he had been proven inaccurate.

  9. #79
    Timthetaco's Avatar
    Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    A1C is THE marker to know IMO. Less than 5% HbA1c is associated with the absolute lowest risk in all cause mortality for both men and women!
    A1C is a completely useless marker unless you're a diabetic trying to gauge your blood sugar control. I'm 25. Should I give a shit about my A1C? No, because my pancreas works.

  10. #80
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    A1C is a completely useless marker unless you're a diabetic trying to gauge your blood sugar control. I'm 25. Should I give a shit about my A1C? No, because my pancreas works.
    Mayhap, but in the context of us looking at and elevated FBG level in a low carber and physiological insulin resistance due to this A1C is vital..... unless you get said low carber to eat a significant enough amount of carbs for a couple days prior to testing. Which is doable, but I don't see why they should subject themselves to that when you can just do a different test. And the A1C stuff showing lowest levels of mortality are here. Use the info or not. I'm not judgin:

    Association of hemoglobin A1c with cardiovasc... [Ann Intern Med. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

    I originally saw it cited in the PHD. But you have a point this is a study of age group 45-79 so it likely doesn't mean a thing to you. I definitely need to be more mindful of who I'm responding to. Even in that other thread, cause I just now realized that was also a young man.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •