Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratio for losing body fat page 5

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just sent 90 min in the gym. What a waste of time. I think I'm taking an online coach, maybe the guy from Rippedbody.jp . Any other recommendations?

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    I'll take a 4 pack too :-)

I don't travel for work. I'm retired. I travel the world, party, and learn new skills and read a lot. Now I'm into salsa, 3 hours a day until I'm really good, then to the next skill. Pilot course, bartending, I have a whole list. And I pick up girls. That's kind of my main hobby ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    Just sent 90 min in the gym. What a waste of time. I think I'm taking an online coach, maybe the guy from Rippedbody.jp . Any other recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    To be honest, I think you'll struggle to get the 6-pack and maintaining it will be even harder.

Stress isn't helping you:
    -Traveling all the time
    -Travel work stress
    -Going out every night
    -Not enough sleep
    -Depressed mental state from very low carbs.
    -Exhausted
    -Maybe exercising too much and too often

Food. You have little control of hidden ingredients and ingredient quality
    -Hotel food
    -Restaurant/cafe food
    -You probably move location too often to get cafes to cook 'your way'
    -Not enough time to find proper quality food places

Even in the best environment some people's body will only give them a 4pack -
    Those lower two can be awfully stubborn at the best of times

On the positive side looks like you've done very well given your lifestyle and you still can improve on what you have achieved so far.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    I'll take a 4 pack too :-)

I don't travel for work. I'm retired. I travel the world, party, and learn new skills and read a lot. Now I'm into salsa, 3 hours a day until I'm really good, then to the next skill. Pilot course, bartending, I have a whole list. And I pick up girls. That's kind of my main hobby ;-)
    Retired at 34 - lucky you :-)

Yeah the parting lifestyle isn't going to help the sixpack project - but sure would be fun.

Maybe start with two pack and then work your up from there ( actually down from there )

This list sounds interesting - where are you now?

As far as the six pack thing...... a similar case to yours - holiday travel ( well sort of, your travels sound more interesting). I find that when I travel overseas I often lose weight within the first couple days of being away.

How? I initially I naturally fast or eat much fewer calories during the trip there and the first few days there - not sure why but it could be the 'stress' of travel and adjusting to new time zones, places, food , weather, culture, language barrier, different currency, not knowing where/what to eat etc, etc.

Also I normally holiday in warmer climates where my appetite is lowered (normally I get lower appetite in warmer weather). Places I stay at have nice pools and/or beaches ( relaxing and low stress - plenty of vitamin D). I tend to get around town by walking everywhere (also rent motorbikes for further travels) rather than taxi rides - a lot of easy exercise. I use hotel gyms or do simple body weight exercises every other day. I walk in the morning, afternoon, evening to places it want to eat at or visit etc. I only eat two meals a day ( sometimes only one) as I don't feel hungry just have coffees and drinks - plenty of water. The warm weather , pools, beaches, boat trips etc probably makes me want to look 'better' as skin is often exposed ( swimming, sun bathing everyday for hours - I love the water and sun). I enjoy myself but I eat well, don't drink too much, get enough sleep and rarely get sick.

End result : "2pack becomes a 4pack", or "4pack becomes a 6pack" very quickly - the tanned skin effect is a bit of 'smoke and mirrors' that enhances the illusion

Moral of the story - intermittent fasting, rest/relaxation, warm weather, pools/beaches, walking alot, drinking water/coffee and getting a tan is an amazing effect for short holidays.

All this talk about holidays - I'm going on-line to check out some holiday destinations - its been too long

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I'm just not getting it.

I work out at the gym, hard. Five times a week.

Mentally - I can go with NO carbs. I can literally not eat carbs AT ALL because I enjoy meat and salads so much, and have my few restaurants that serve carbless dishes that I love.

But when I don't eat any carbs - I get EXHAUSTED and depressed. So I need to force myself to eat carbs.

I'm THIN, if you'd see me you wouldn't understand why I'm even bothering with this thread, but I'm trying FOR ONCE in my life to get a sixpack. I'm 34, it's now or never.

So what exactly am I don't wrong that it doesn't seem like I'm losing enough fat? I lost a ton, but now I'm stuck somehow.

I'm 5.8, about 154 pounds. What's the carbs / protein / fat ratio I should have, considering that I'm working hard at the gym with weights? I don't do cardio, only lifting.
    Carbohydrate is not directly stored as body fat, and de novo lipogenesis - the body converting carbohydrate into fat for storage - is a very inefficient mechanism. In order for the body to store carbohydrate as fat:

1.) First glycogen stores must be completely full, which is almost never (unless you're going to eat immediately after eating).

2.) Next, glycogen stores swell and overcompensate. During overfeeding, especially in people that lift, glycogen stores can swell up to 100% normal capacity to overcompensate for spillover.

3.) After that, overfeeding of carbohydrate causes the metabolic rate to increase significantly. So now you have to overeat past the metabolic rate increase.

4.) Then your body has to go through the effort of converting carbs into fat to be stored.

Dietary fat, generally, is immediately stored as fat.

When you eat carbs and fat in unison, it is the dietary fat being stored. If you eat very low carbohydrate, generally the increased stress hormones required for converting lean tissue into glucose has an appetite-supressive effect, so it's easier to maintain a deficit. Unfortunately, this promotes lean tissue loss and fat preservation. It is more effective to eat higher carbohydrate in a deficit to preserve lean tissue because carbohydrate is significantly more anabolic than fat and cortisol is suppressed when carbohydrate is consumed. The lower your intake of carbohydrate, the higher your average cortisol is (since cortisol is the primary hormone used to break down animo acids into glucose via gluconeogenesis) and the greater your insulin resistance is.

What does this all mean? If I were in your case, I would:

1.) Consume a higher carbohydrate/lower fat diet in general.

2.) On days you work out, try and eat very low fat (<30g a day) with much higher carbohydrate - at least 40% of your total calories. Try and eat a small caloric surplus on these days.

3.) On days you don't work out and just do cardio or are sedentary, drop your carbs, but don't take fat intake above moderate. Something more like 30-35% calories from fat. Protein intake should be constant, but since you're taking in less total calories on this day it'll be a greater percentage of total calories.

Salt your food well to maintain thyroid function, especially on deficit days. And as always, try your best to make the fat you do consume saturated fat with low polyunsaturated fat.

This is what I do.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

otzi Guest
    Davildil - You are a schmuck! You don't need to work and you have the fundage needed to travel the world and pick up chicks? And you are here, asking us about carbs?

Screw the Euro Disco and San Fran bathhouse scene--take up a life outdoors! learn rafting, rock climbing, mountain biking, hang gliding, hike the Appalachian Trail, float the Yukon, ride a donkey down the Grand Canyon. Do it all eating real food and sleeping under the stars.

It's the bright lights and city nights that will kill you, not 200g of carbs.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Davildil - You are a schmuck! You don't need to work and you have the fundage needed to travel the world and pick up chicks? And you are here, asking us about carbs?

Screw the Euro Disco and San Fran bathhouse scene--take up a life outdoors! learn rafting, rock climbing, mountain biking, hang gliding, hike the Appalachian Trail, float the Yukon, ride a donkey down the Grand Canyon. Do it all eating real food and sleeping under the stars.

Seriously, fuck this guy's entire life.

Jk bro, keep it moving. Fuck more, that should get you a six pack. I guess.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post

Worked for me back in my twenties.... Seriously if your hitting it hard a couple times a day its hulluva good abs work! Its all about form though....
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-05-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post

Hmm, maybe thats the real reason why I still can se my six pack at fifty...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Jiggyz is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post

This ^

...try to take some time off to work on your peace...

...and (this works for me 5'11" 175lb, 46YO, M) and it also would have worked back in my 30s...

...I literally do nothing more than minimum required according to the primal blueprint except for the following...

add a few 400m sprints to the sprint workout at the same time or a different day...(looks like you need to add some sprints anyway)

....try IF from dinner to dinner if you can stand it a couple of times a week...

...when in doubt I always try to simplify...

Anyway sounds like you have a lot of things in life figured out, so I am sure you will come to a solution.

As1459 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Carbohydrate is not directly stored as body fat, and de novo lipogenesis - the body converting carbohydrate into fat for storage - is a very inefficient mechanism. In order for the body to store carbohydrate as fat:

1.) First glycogen stores must be completely full, which is almost never (unless you're going to eat immediately after eating).

2.) Next, glycogen stores swell and overcompensate. During overfeeding, especially in people that lift, glycogen stores can swell up to 100% normal capacity to overcompensate for spillover.

3.) After that, overfeeding of carbohydrate causes the metabolic rate to increase significantly. So now you have to overeat past the metabolic rate increase.

4.) Then your body has to go through the effort of converting carbs into fat to be stored.

Dietary fat, generally, is immediately stored as fat.

When you eat carbs and fat in unison, it is the dietary fat being stored. If you eat very low carbohydrate, generally the increased stress hormones required for converting lean tissue into glucose has an appetite-supressive effect, so it's easier to maintain a deficit. Unfortunately, this promotes lean tissue loss and fat preservation. It is more effective to eat higher carbohydrate in a deficit to preserve lean tissue because carbohydrate is significantly more anabolic than fat and cortisol is suppressed when carbohydrate is consumed. The lower your intake of carbohydrate, the higher your average cortisol is (since cortisol is the primary hormone used to break down animo acids into glucose via gluconeogenesis) and the greater your insulin resistance is.

What does this all mean? If I were in your case, I would:

1.) Consume a higher carbohydrate/lower fat diet in general.

2.) On days you work out, try and eat very low fat (<30g a day) with much higher carbohydrate - at least 40% of your total calories. Try and eat a small caloric surplus on these days.

3.) On days you don't work out and just do cardio or are sedentary, drop your carbs, but don't take fat intake above moderate. Something more like 30-35% calories from fat. Protein intake should be constant, but since you're taking in less total calories on this day it'll be a greater percentage of total calories.

Salt your food well to maintain thyroid function, especially on deficit days. And as always, try your best to make the fat you do consume saturated fat with low polyunsaturated fat.

This is what I do.
    So on non WO let's say you have a hypothetical 2500 kcal allotment if you took your 30-35% calories from fat and protein was ~1 gram per lb BW would u fill in the rest from carbs or up your protein?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast