Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ratio for losing body fat page 2

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_BK View Post
    What do your workouts look like? Length and intensity? Frequency? I was going hard 5 days a week and not seeing much. When I cut my workouts down to 25-40 minutes with increased intensity I saw results. Now my fat and protein intake both vary between 100-200g a day, carbs less then 50, allowing for two refeed days a week (non-workout days).
    I do about an hour, I keep mixing things up. I think I do train too much. What do you mean increased intensity? And you do 50 carbs a day PLUS refeed? How much do you eat on those days?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    OP.... you seem to be about my height and weight (I"m 5'9 160lbs and 34 years old)

Really to get -, like six pack lean, isn't easy at all. It's rather unnatural. I don't aspire to it myself, but if you do you might check out Pklopps blog here. http://cogitoergoedo.com/

Seems his site is down so I'll give you the breakdown. To go from the 12-15% (I think) bf zone to the raging six pack single digit zone he had to eat a restrictive CALORIE diet of primarily meat and veggies, being sure to get 1.5g/kg of bodyweight worth of protein each day or a gram/pound if you like to be safe (again if I recall correctly) at one meal a day of 1500 calories for over 5 weeks. Nothing I'm willing to do for vanity sakes, but there you go.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-04-2013 at 07:17 AM.

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    1. If you do not feel good eating VLC (many don't) then do not eat that way. The fact that the human body can adapt to and deal with a NO CARB time does not mean that it is optimal.

2. There is no magical Protein-Fat-Carb ratio. At best the ratio is the "Fine Tune" part of the equation.

3. Most of these diets are really designed so that you hopefully feel good and approach a healthy weight without too much calorie counting - They are not designed for the Six Pack look.

4. If you have just lost a bunch of weight and are still trying to lose then the Six Pack should not be your goal right now. During weight lose there is a near inevitable loss of lean mass. Let your body get used to the new fat level. You are probably a year away from even considering a Six Pack and feeling good while you have it.

5. I know that what you do for a work-out is very personal but you could try mixing that up a bit. You could try cutting back the 5 day strength training to 3 days (something like Strong Lifts) and use the other two days for Sprint Training. You will end up feeling, being and looking more athletic.

It seems like you are already doing great. Take your time and enjoy yourself!
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast79 View Post
    Um, eat some carbs?
    ^^ Yeah, this. There is nothing virtuous about denying your body what it needs simply because you are mentally capable of doing so.

otzi Guest
    I'm just curious where you are coming from. Have you lost a bunch of weight to get to 154 or gained a bunch? Or just been 154 forever?

At any rate, maybe have a read of the Perfect Health Diet. Since you aren't too far off from your ideal weight, you should really be focusing on long-term eating to maintain your leanness and gain some muscle.

One thing that helped me was to stop counting calories and macros, and eat about a pound a day of starch, a pound of meat, and a pound or so of other veggies and fruit. It's easy to eyeball this amount and it doesn't have to be exact. I eat twice a day, lunch is generally a can of sardines and a baked potato and salad. Dinner is a big hunk of meat, rice or potatoes, veggies, fruit, cheese, chocolate, nuts, eggs, or other primal fare.

I don't think getting really strict with macro ratios is what you need at this point, and at some point you have to concede that a 6-pack is not going to happen and eating healthy and maintaining weight is what is going to get you to old age.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    I'm just not getting it.

I work out at the gym, hard. Five times a week.

Mentally - I can go with NO carbs. I can literally not eat carbs AT ALL because I enjoy meat and salads so much, and have my few restaurants that serve carbless dishes that I love.

But when I don't eat any carbs - I get EXHAUSTED and depressed. So I need to force myself to eat carbs.

I'm THIN, if you'd see me you wouldn't understand why I'm even bothering with this thread, but I'm trying FOR ONCE in my life to get a sixpack. I'm 34, it's now or never.

So what exactly am I don't wrong that it doesn't seem like I'm losing enough fat? I lost a ton, but now I'm stuck somehow.

I'm 5.8, about 154 pounds. What's the carbs / protein / fat ratio I should have, considering that I'm working hard at the gym with weights? I don't do cardio, only lifting.
    just to chime in here, there is a genetic component to how your abdominals will look regardless of how lean you get. You are lean already IMO. Do you do any abdominal work at all? Yeah I know most people here will say you don't need to train your abs but in my opinion, abs is just like any muscle in your body. If you do mostly compound exercises then you are covered. I also think that targeting all part of your abdominal should help with its appearance.
    Umm can we see a pic of your abs?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    What's working really well for me right now is to maintain my protein intake at the same level regardless of what calorie target I set, and distributing my energy calories equal as fat and carbs. My carbs are almost exclusively non-starchy vegetables and fruit. The more starches I eat, the smaller the amount of food there is on my plate, as they displace a much larger volume of produce. But no doubt you need some carb intake to keep up with your activity level. Experiment and keep track to find your sweet spot.

Davidil is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I do abs of course. This is from about two weeks ago.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Davidil; 08-04-2013 at 10:14 AM.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I think leangains might work well for you. Rippedbody.jp has tons of good info and while not primal, if a six pack is what you're after you may want to check it out. Up your carbs for sure, make potatoes and rice your friend.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidil View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. Yes, I do abs of course. This is from about two weeks ago.

nice selfie anyway so based on what I can see losing more body fat should not be your goal at this point. Build some mass then cut. You seem to be storing your fat on your stomach this could be due to increased cortisol level. I don't know anything about your lifestyle but it could be stress related, drinking if you do and dieting for long periods without giving your body a break. Seriously, bulk then cut. If you want things to be proportioned too I would up the volume on your leg day

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast