Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One year and 100 lbs later... page

Dinghyman is offline Junior Member

One year and 100 lbs later...

Primal Fuel
    I've been a lurker and have been encouraged by reading the posts of others so it's time for my post. This week I hit the scales and the 100 lb lost mark. I no longer have high blood pressure and my A1C levels are normal again. I feel 20 years younger and I bet I'll live that much longer. Thanks to all of you!

I read the Primal Blueprint but didn't get serious until my doctor told me I was going to get diabetes. I had a friend who had to stop sailing because he'd lost feeling in his feet from diabetes and something clicked. That was last August when I weighed 325 lbs. (2012). This August (2013) I hit 225 lbs. I still have 25 lbs to go until I reach my goal but my life has changed and I thought I'd share some of what worked for me.

Primal Blueprint did a great job of helping me understand how my body used carbs and how I was killing myself, one Dr. Pepper at a time. The book did a good job of helping me understand what I was doing to myself. I knew what foods I had to avoid. The hard part was finding the foods I could eat and still enjoy.

I'm a terrible cook and too lazy to work much at it so things had to be easy. My wife cooked for the family for 30 years and after the kids left home retired from that job so I was on my own. Here's a short list of things I ended up with:

Meatball omelets, shrimp omelets, taco meat omelets (see the trend here...) beanless chili (1st place at the church chili cook off!), cheese and sausage (instead of crackers and chips), protein shakes with a couple of strawberries and 1/2 banana and lots of bacon and steaks. The 80% rule was not going to work for me so I gave up all bread, rice, corn, oatmeal etc... No desserts or anything sweet except an occasional dark chocolate kiss. The hardest thing was going cold turkey on Dr. Pepper. I haven't cheated once because I know what would happen if I let myself get started down that road again.

Cooking for myself meant that I stopped going to fast food joints, saved money and discovered how much those comfort cheeseburgers were a part of my life. Eating to reward myself was a big part of my life. I'm still working on that. I don't give in anymore but the desire is there from 40+ years of habit.

The only exercise I did was regular walking and bowling. As I lost weight though I generally became more active. I added swimming to the mix and now I can walk as far as I want to, even if it's uphill. Before I had to stick to the flatlands.

Frankly, it just wasn't that hard to do. I feel stupid that it took me this long to figure it out. Now when I see other people who are morbidly obese like I was, I want to tell them they can change their lives. (I do that often and have a few copies of Mark's book around to give away.)

In my own life, I was addicted to soda pop and all kinds of sweets. No wonder I was such a happy guy. I experienced that without the constant supply of sugar, I would get crabby. It only takes a few grapes to even the keel and so I keep them around all the time. I've also learned to eat some of my carb allowance before strenuous physical or mental tasks. I don't eat oranges anymore but have developed a taste for fresh grapefruit. It's such a treat!

It took just one year to get this far so my goal for this next year is to continue the healthy lifestyle I've adopted and build back the muscle mass I'm sure I've lost. I'm also going to keep learning how to cook so I can have a greater variety of foods in my life.

Before and after photos are below. Photo 1 = 4x t-shirt @325 lbs. Photo 2 = 2x t-shirt @ 225 lbs.

;-) Paul

IMG_1078.jpgyale_lake_w_steve.jpg

Skylark is offline Junior Member
    Wow, well done!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hey that's great Dinghyman, thanks for sharing and long may your healthy lifestyle continue.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Great job, Dinghyman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinghyman View Post
    Frankly, it just wasn't that hard to do. I feel stupid that it took me this long to figure it out.
    Isn't it incredible? This is the part that still amazes me. I was fat my whole adult life and it was completely unnecessary. It wasn't that hard to lose the weight and keeping it off has been a breeze so far. It's true what they say about making a lifestyle change. I guess the hardest part is figuring out how to do that. So good for you!
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

MightyMike is offline Member
    100 lbs, grat achievement

Spheni is offline Member
    Congratulations! Thank you for sharing your story. I know what you mean about wanting to tell people how awesome primal is! I'm thinking I may need to buy a few copies of the book to hand out too.

andi is offline Member
    Awesome, wonderful achievement!

DFord is offline Member
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing. I am on the same journey. I am 7 months in started at 307 down to 242 currently

Kayakmoon is offline Junior Member
    Your story was very inspiring! I am waiting for my book 'The Primal Blueprint' to arrive...I can't wait to get started. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm impressed!

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    That is impressive! Keep going!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast