Thread: Running help page

lmggabe is offline Junior Member

Running help

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Everyone....so I have been primal for about a month+ now. Did not set out on this journey to lose weight, but to change my way of eating and my fuel source for performance. Read the Art and Science of Low Carb Performance and really found that interesting as well and very informative. I am trying to keep my carbs as low as possible, (typically around 60 per day) with about 65-75% fat. My question to all the runners, help, I feel like crap running!!! Any advice? I am not sure how to help this process to keto adaptation. I know it can take up to a month. I started drinking boullion which seem to help, but my legs are like bricks these days. I seem to have an energy surge around 4-6 miles (my mileage is low right now..no more 10 miles for my longest run (about 30/week with 3 days of cross training) during the summer...I live in the south and it is incredibly hot and humid, also effecting performance). Any info would help. I know it is a bit of trial and error in the beginning, but would like to hear from anyone who has been through it. Thanks!
    Last edited by lmggabe; 08-03-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Hopefully you'll hear from some keto runners, but in the meantime:
    I never could figure out how to run while in full blown keto.
    It wasn't until I upped my daily carbs to >100g that I had improvement.
    Actually now i'm higher than that and my fitness performance shows.
    With that being said, could you be low on Magnesium and potassium too?
    Ketosis being diuretic will deplete your body of these essential minerals pretty fast.
    I'd recommend eating an avocado and pure coconut water is good as well.
    Could your calories be on the low side too?
    Do you have any health related circumstance that requires of you to be in ketosis, if you don't mind me asking?

I hear you on running in the muggy heat. I live in the South too and some days I really appreciate my treadmill.
    Good luck to you.

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    I recently did a trail marathon and trained without carbs. I found that salt and hydration were key. eat plenty of salt and force your body to get used to burning fat. It will adapt after much protesting. It's worth having a carb re-feed once a week and doing a faster run to keep your body from going into starvation mode and to ensure that you can swap between fuels.

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    You can read my thread below where I experimented all last year with this below--I am in Georgia.

I ran a 10mile race last August and bonked. I just ran the same race this year and loved every step of it.

I highly recommend saltstick caps every 3 miles in the humidity and heat. Amazon.com: Saltstick Electrolyte Capsules (100/bottle): Sports & Outdoors

It makes such a big difference in recovery. I ran the 10 for the trail race on Sat and ran 13 on Sunday and I feel great.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    Why 60g carbs? 60 g carbs seems awfully low for such a combination transitioning into PB plus holding mileage in runs. Maybe try 100g? That's still plenty PB...

Thank you. I did increase my carbs to about 70-90 a day and feel a lot better.

Wow, love those saltstick caps!! They do help quite a bit. It is so hot here and runs have been draining me. Tried those capsules and they seem to help. Can't wait until this heat breaks. The summers are just brutal to run.
    Thanks again!