Thread: Do you make an exception for bacon? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Do you make an exception for bacon?

Primal Fuel
    I really wanted to try some good bacon, so I bought some uncured, nitrite free, no preservatives/no antibiotics/no hormones/etc. bacon from Trader Joe's. I haven't eaten bacon in years, and I loved it, and would like to make it a regular. Now, this is the cleanest bacon I've been able to find. Is it okay to eat large amounts of this non-organic/non grass fed bacon (omega 6/omega 3 ratio)? Do you make an exception about eating grain fed meat when it comes to bacon?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Take an Omega-3 supplement and don't sweat it.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I try my best, but I don't sweat it. I pay about double for bacon from the local market that is antibiotic/steroid free, is allowed to "roam" and is smoked naturally. I pay about $ 5.00 lb, but there is a HUGE difference in taste and "cookability??" for me. When I cook this stuff, the fat renders "clean" the fat left on the strips gets like a good fried porkchop fat (you know those edges?) and it doesn't go from being a nice large thick slice to a teeny tiny little bit of meat. They stay big.

If I *have* to buy from the store, then I buy the extra thick, traditional brand if I can find it. Or I get back bacon.

NoMoreGrains is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    Take an Omega-3 supplement and don't sweat it.
    This seems to be a common recommendation for folks in my situation, and I've often seen Mark talk about it. The supermarkets are filled with the "all natural", "humanely raised", "vegetarian feed", "no antibiotics/hormones" labels. Finding a steady, variety of pork and beef cuts that are organic and grass fed is just too difficult for me. So, if I were to go the conventional route, I would definitely stick with the all natural/no antibiotics/etc. (it's got to be better than Tyson or Perdue), and I'd be able to afford more meat. So, to balance things outs, what scenario is better: lots of non organic, non grass fed meat everyday along with an omega 3 supplement, or significantly less meat (basically whatever grass fed meat is cheap), yet is of higher quality? To add to this, where should I start with an omega 3 supplement that will not only counter all the omega 6 in my diet, but also that comes from wild caught fish, and has no fillers/additives/soy ingredients?

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    NoMoreGrains,

Get yourself some good cod liver oil. Carlson's is widely available and high quality.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

strom is offline Senior Member
    No its not kosher. No exceptions, unless its from another animals and bares a hecture.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I totally eat cheap bacon. But just about all of my Beef intake is grass fed.

I really should be looking into some fish oil though.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    yumm....bacon

my 'exception' to overindulging with the omega6/3 ratio is by far REALLY fatty ground pork...i LOVE IT

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Well, I eat bacon on a nearly daily basis because it kills my appitite. I don't get crazy hungry when I eat it I've noticed. However this thread is making me think about the Omega-6 issue. hmmm, fish oil. One more thing for me to buy.